Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LCD in really cold weather

LCD in really cold weather
slider
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 09:57 AM

Hey all, I am curious if anyone here knows how well an LCD screen holds up in very cool weahter. We have a mobile lab with a PC in it and it can get pretty cold. Currently we are using CRT's, and they have survived for years. We are talking about zero degree start up kind of situations, gradually warming up as the lab warms. What are the chances for damaging the screen under these kinds of conditions. Any personal experiences? Thanks.

BlakIce
Jan 22, 2004, 10:27 AM

from just looking at my cell phone when i leave it in the car I can say the response time is really slow until it warms up. i dont know if it is harmfull or not.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 11:36 AM

My iPod screen is very faint when it is below 40 (F).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 24, 2004, 03:28 PM

Only specially-designed LCDs will function in temperature extremes. (Car stereos, for example, need special LCDs.)

Most likely, in those temperatures, the LCDs will just stay dark. And since LCDs don't really heat up (the backlight tubes in them create negligible amounts of heat), they will never reach operating temperature on their own.

It probably won't harm the LCDs to be stored in those conditions; they just won't function until they reach temperature.

tooki

P.S. Look at some LCDs specs and see what they say.

tiborg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 12:34 AM

A long time ago when I had a Duo270c, I woke up to find the color filter layers in the screen had cracked. I figured that the laptop in the open position was much warmer near the base of the screen than at the top so the screen expanded unevenly and cracked. It was an extremely fine crack that was almost unnoticable at normal temperatures.

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2004, 10:24 AM

I'm pretty sure cold temperature does harm an LCD. A mobile phone should be kept warm while skiing, otherwise the liquid in the display can freeze and damage it forever.

this quote is from the Applestore: [LCD] Operating temperature: 50� to 95� F (10� to 35� C)

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 02:23 PM

well there is only one way to find out if it works or not

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by slider:
Hey all, I am curious if anyone here knows how well an LCD screen holds up in very cool weahter. We have a mobile lab with a PC in it and it can get pretty cold. Currently we are using CRT's, and they have survived for years. We are talking about zero degree start up kind of situations, gradually warming up as the lab warms. What are the chances for damaging the screen under these kinds of conditions. Any personal experiences? Thanks.
care to humor us with what kinda lab this is? anything on a uninhabited continent? im kinda bored and looking for some stimulus.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
care to humor us with what kinda lab this is? anything on a uninhabited continent? im kinda bored and looking for some stimulus.
ha, sorry, nothing that exciting

I appreciate everyones input, but we decided to go with the cheaper heat producing space consuming CRT's stacked on a homemade rack. Looks like crap, but hey, it works.

allap
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2004, 12:13 AM

I wish they'd make the iPod screen out of that same LCD as car stereos. I've been looking to buy one but if i can't use it in winter waiting for the bus that's no good. It's been around -30�C (-22�F) here for the last couple weeks.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 12:20 AM

just put it next to your body, thats what i do with mine when snowmobiling, and walking to class

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

mbryda
Senior User
Jan 29, 2004, 11:27 AM

I leave my IBM laptop in the car all the time in the winter with no ill effects. Now, it's not been too cold here - only about 10F or so, but it still has not suffered. About the only downside is that it is sluggish for about 10-15 mins until it warms up.

Not sure about the special LCD for cars, though. Most that I have seen get quite sluggish in the winter until they warm up. The only difference I saw in a quick google search was some of the auto/military uses have built in heaters, but the ones I've seen in cars are quite sluggish until warm.

Forum Links
Forum Rules