Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What can I do with FTP on my Mac?

What can I do with FTP on my Mac?
slider
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 07:35 PM

I was wondering about setting up FTP on our file server. I see the tabbed panel "Proxies", under the network preference. How would I go about setting this up and getting some more info on it. Thanks all

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 08:19 PM

don't need to mess with proxies just to run a server. just click the box in the sharing panel and then you can connect to your server via ftp or sftp, sftp being secure. i use macsftp for sftp.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 10:16 PM

Setting up an FTP server using Mac OS X is relatively straightforward. Simply go to System Preferences > Sharing, and then under Services, check the FTP sharing option. You'll need to create user accounts on the file server for every user you want to have an account on the system. While it is possible to tweak your FTP server further (such as limiting the number of connections, permissions, etc), there isn't a simple way of doing that through the graphical user interface. The FTP server that comes with Mac OS X is a customized version of lukemftpd (which doesn't support some features of the original release). The server is meant to be used as a personal FTP server.

As for FTP clients, there are many, with one of the most popular being Tranmit. You can use the Finder itself to log onto your FTP server, though, by simply choosing Go from the Finder menu and typing in the FTP address (e.g. ftp://ftp.myserver.com/). Doing so will mount a network volume on the Desktop. If you're using user authentication for FTP, though, you'll need to type in something like ftp://username:[email protected]/. Again, not the most secure (since this is transmitted over plain text), but if its an internal (wired?) network, you needn't worry too much about it.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 10:52 PM

How do I make it SFTP only?

Thanks for all the help

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by slider:
How do I make it SFTP only?

Thanks for all the help
it's somewhat non-intuitive: turn off "ftp" but leave "remote login" (i think, going from memory here) in sharing, and then only ssh/scp/sftp will remain.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 07:34 PM

Well, this is not working out. I turned off ftp and turned on remote login. I set up our cable modem with a static IP address with our file server on the receiving end. I have users set up the computer with passwords done by using SharePoints. I have tried using several different clients, Transmit, CyberDuck, and MacSFTP. I am clearly missing something. I have gotten several different messages at different times. I think with MacSFTP I got Fatal error at one time as I did with Transmit, and with CyberDuck I got IO error or something to that effect and "SSH Error: The SFTP Subsystem could not be initialized".

Anyone have some suggestions? Thank you.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 07:45 PM

One other thing, what is the "Path", or "Initial Path" depending on which Sftp proram I am using? Thanks.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 09:07 PM

Well, I think I have some of the problem. I was able to get on the file server by logging on directly to the computer under the actual user. I was trying to log in as one of the accounts I set up via sharepoints; how would I do that?

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2004, 03:12 AM

Go here and download. You will be very satisfied:
http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/

ppmax

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2004, 11:38 AM

Thank you ppmax, I would have to have something that is secure. Of what I have seen of this recommendation, it seems that this does not use ssh, which is a must. This is a work File Server set up for select staff members to be able to access it from home and the road.

This looks great for general FTP set up, but it does not seem to be what I am looking for.

I am still playing with it to see if I have missed something. But, thanks again

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2004, 02:34 PM

Another question:

I am using "Remote Login", will this limit me to only one user logged in at one time?

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2004, 11:48 PM

Another question:

I am using "Remote Login", will this limit me to only one user logged in at one time?
nope, ssh is used on servers that have dozens if not hundreds of users logged in simultaneously.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 10:11 AM

Thanks splky_dog.

Some of our employees are using Mac OS 9 at home. The only Mac OS 9 SFTP I found was MacSFTP 1.0.6. I have not been able to connect using this client where I have been able to connect using Transmit and CyberDuck in Mac OS X, oh, I should mention that I could not get MacSFTP to work in either OS, using the same information that I used in the other two clients. For those of you using MacSFTP, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 06:12 PM

I have worked through a solution. SharePoints sets up user accounts, but there is no Home dir. within those accounts. This seems to be the problem when attempting to log in to user accounts using ssh. By simply adding a regular user, which has a Home account, I am able to log in using ssh. Not sure yet if I am able to manage these user accounts with share points, but I'll give it a shot. On that note, where are the UID numbers list for "regular" user accounts? ie. where can I find it listed? By 'regular" I mean those created with within the User Accounts Pref. Panel and not through SharePoints.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 06:27 PM

On that note, where are the UID numbers list for "regular" user accounts? ie. where can I find it listed? By 'regular" I mean those created with within the User Accounts Pref. Panel and not through SharePoints.
look in NetInfo Manager, /Users/

lomor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2004, 10:13 PM

The best FTP server is PureFTPd Manager:

It's complete, it's easy, it's free

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by lomor:
The best FTP server is PureFTPd Manager:

It's complete, it's easy, it's free
Thanks Iomor, actually someone has already suggested that. As great at is seem to be it does not seem to suit my needs; see above.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Apr 3, 2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
If you're using user authentication for FTP, though, you'll need to type in something like ftp://username[email protected]/. Again, not the most secure (since this is transmitted over plain text), but if its an internal (wired?) network, you needn't worry too much about it.
This was very helpful. I appreciate your help, I have been wanting to utilize ftp in the finder for quite some time.

Thanks.

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2004, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by ppmax:
Go here and download. You will be very satisfied:

ppmax
Wow. Thanks for the pointer. Such a nice, smooth running program...It is especially a breeze to set the ftp users' home directories...

Forum Links
Forum Rules