Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Lotus NOTES and mac

Lotus NOTES and mac
pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2004, 07:57 AM

Just looking for other Lotus NOTES users on the mac platform. I had been using VPC with a windows notes client but recently downloaded the trial version of the mac client and am looking for tips/tricks/etc.

The mac client has some quirks but can't complain. No need to jump into VPC every 20-30 minutes to download my corporate mail..

thanks
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

-Q-
Oct 19, 2004, 09:29 AM

I've been using Notes with my Mac since July. No real tips or tricks to share, but I have found it works very well and seems to offer parity with the Windows version. It seems to share the same annoying quirks (can't tell it not to open links with it's own HTML renderer; no 'Mark as Read' command from the contextual menu, etc) as the windows version as well. But it does seem to work fine overall...

rickray1
Nov 4, 2004, 03:10 AM

Am having trouble setting Lotus 6.5 up.
I do have a domino server.
Connecting via broadband cable and tcp/ip
But when I try to go to the next step, it says that it cannot connect.
I can connect to the web, get mail via other applications, but I need to connect to the company lotus.
Any ideas???
Drink PepsiOne ! It tastes GREAT!

pjmurphy  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2004, 08:30 AM

you should have a notes .id file that lays out all information for the installation..
did you point to that .id file?

I simply searched on my windows machine for the .id file and moved it to the mac.. worked like a charm.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2004, 01:56 AM

Do any of you know how to increase the font size in the main inbox view. I followed the instructions in the help but I cant seem to find the Setup.ini file to make them larger.

Thanks

Ken

zid2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2004, 08:36 AM

Kissworks makes a Notes ini editor.

http://kwpublic.kissworks.com/updates.nsf

Dave

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2004, 12:38 PM

Thanks, That worked perfectly.

rickray1
Nov 20, 2004, 06:58 PM

Where do I fnd that on the PC?

R

Originally posted by pjmurphy:
you should have a notes .id file that lays out all information for the installation..
did you point to that .id file?

I simply searched on my windows machine for the .id file and moved it to the mac.. worked like a charm.

rickray1
Nov 20, 2004, 07:20 PM

I found my rick.id and transferred that to my mac.
When I click on the "rick.id" on my mac, nothing happens. Lotus tries to open, but keeps asking for my name, domino server etc

I am back to square one.

Any help would be appreciated

R

Originally posted by rickray1:
Where do I fnd that on the PC?

R

MacGuyBrazil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2004, 03:56 PM

Rick , i�m using Lotus Notes 6.5.2 with my iMac G3 and panther without any problems. Please , put your notes.id inside of your data folder . it�s located inside of your lotus notes folder. launch your notes application and go to notes --> preferences --> client reconfiguration wizard. enter with the necessary information. I hope this help you . Can i indicate some useful links to you ? Look at :
http://www.wrenbeck.com/ and http://vowe.net/

of course : http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/nd6forum.nsf?OpenDatabase

regards

--
Mac Guy Brazil
Mac User since 1991
Brazil

rickray1
Nov 22, 2004, 12:55 PM

I guess I am having more problems just logging in. I go thru the wizard and it says "server not responding". I think I need to use VPN, but I cannot get that to work either.

On the PC I use AT&T Global (I have the server and password's), then I open up Lotus Notes. I have everything on the PC ... I just want to transfer the setting onto my mac.

When I try the VPN that too does not connect. Maybe I have the wrong info.... but my work only wants me to use the PC Global Dialer. Thus they wont give me more info.

Rick

Originally posted by MacGuyBrazil:
Rick , i�m using Lotus Notes 6.5.2 with my iMac G3 and panther without any problems. Please , put your notes.id inside of your data folder . it�s located inside of your lotus notes folder. launch your notes application and go to notes --> preferences --> client reconfiguration wizard. enter with the necessary information. I hope this help you . Can i indicate some useful links to you ? Look at :
http://www.wrenbeck.com/ and http://vowe.net/

of course : http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/nd6forum.nsf?OpenDatabase

regards

rickray1
Nov 22, 2004, 12:56 PM

BTW.... my server is chicago01

what else do I need. I have a server address 12.148 etc

Rick

MacGuyBrazil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2004, 02:48 PM

Rick , first for all ,there is nothing wrong in using AT&T dialer. Second, do a "ping" in your domino server. both ip address and funny name (www.dominoserver.com). make sure their are correct . then , use your notes client wizard and enter with the correct name address and ip address of your server. Tip : look for wrong "upper and lower cases " in your domino name and notes.id. Use only the correct case for both.check with your support

regards

--
Mac Guy Brazil
Mac User since 1991
Brazil

passmaster16
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 02:58 PM

Rick

1.) copy your data directory from your PC to your Mac. The data directory is the one with the .id file in it
2. ) copy your notes.ini file from your notes directory...mostly likely c: \lotus\notes on your PC to the corresponding directory on your Mac -- this file is the configuration file used for server names, ips, locations, etc
3. ) establish a connection to your ISP -- global dialer account or broadband should work here
4. ) in most cases, you will need to VPN into your network prior to starting notes, you do this because many notes servers are not publicly available, so if your server name is chicago01, you probably won't be able to ping that over a public internet connection, like the previous poster said, once you connect to the internet try to ping the notes server by name and if that doesn't work try it by ip address, if neither work, you will need to connect to your vpn to use notes, so, connect to your vpn and then try to ping the server/ip you should get a reply now, try notes
( Last edited by passmaster16; Nov 22, 2004 at 03:05 PM. )

rickray1
Nov 22, 2004, 11:08 PM

I tried to connect with VPN using the Mac Internet Connect.

I type in the server address, name and password and it says "server not respomding".
I log on with the PC (it shows the exact server i typed in) and it works fine.

The PC uses "AT&A Global Dialer". Maybe it's a Cisco server it's trying to connect to, but I think it's Novel. What VPN software do you recommend?
I dont have the Mac Cisco Software

R

Originally posted by passmaster16:
Rick

1.) copy your data directory from your PC to your Mac. The data directory is the one with the .id file in it
2. ) copy your notes.ini file from your notes directory...mostly likely c: \lotus\notes on your PC to the corresponding directory on your Mac -- this file is the configuration file used for server names, ips, locations, etc
3. ) establish a connection to your ISP -- global dialer account or broadband should work here
4. ) in most cases, you will need to VPN into your network prior to starting notes, you do this because many notes servers are not publicly available, so if your server name is chicago01, you probably won't be able to ping that over a public internet connection, like the previous poster said, once you connect to the internet try to ping the notes server by name and if that doesn't work try it by ip address, if neither work, you will need to connect to your vpn to use notes, so, connect to your vpn and then try to ping the server/ip you should get a reply now, try notes

passmaster16
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 11:48 PM

Rick it depends on what your network requires. AT&T global dialer is not a VPN, it is a remote access dialer for windows. Cisco and Nortel are examples of VPN software. I assume you are trying to connect to your VPN using the built in OS X VPN client. This may not work for you if your VPN server is Cisco. You need to know what type of VPN you are connecting to. If you are using Cisco on the PC side, chances are you will need to use Cisco on the Mac side as well. If you were connecting to an ISA server, then the built in VPN would probably work.

Originally posted by rickray1:
I tried to connect with VPN using the Mac Internet Connect.

I type in the server address, name and password and it says "server not respomding".
I log on with the PC (it shows the exact server i typed in) and it works fine.

The PC uses "AT&A Global Dialer". Maybe it's a Cisco server it's trying to connect to, but I think it's Novel. What VPN software do you recommend?
I dont have the Mac Cisco Software

R

Forum Links
Forum Rules