Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > How difficult would this be ?

How difficult would this be ?
PacHead
Baninated
Jun 27, 2005, 06:47 PM

Hey all, here's a simple question.

The last time I programmed anything was decades ago on the Apple II+ (basic), and I managed to put together a cheap centipede copy and a pacman copy. I don't know anything about C or cocoa or assembly code or any other language.

Basically, I had an idea to make an AU & RTAS & VST audio plugin.

How hard would it be to make a simple plugin, which basically just had a nice GUI and one big volume knob on it, for example ?

Which language should one study to acheive this ?

How long would this take, inorder to make that one simple, audio plugin for example ?

1 day ? 1 week ? 1 month ?

I realize there's no definitive answer to my question, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how difficult it would be, and how time consuming it would be, so I would know if it's even worth it for me to take a shot at doing it.

Thanks.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2005, 07:05 PM

Audio codec programming is...kind of intimidating. Apple's AudioCodec API is for C, so you'd probably want to use C or C++. You can take a look at the SDK if you're interested, but I definitely wouldn't suggest it for a starter project. You'll need a very solid foundation in C before you can even hope to understand what you need to do. I'm perfectly decent with C, but the AudioCodec SDK is kind of confusing for me, not having any previous audio experience. I can't imagine using it to learn the language.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Jun 27, 2005, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the answer.

I signed up on the Apple ADC site, and there's a lot of interesting reading there.

At least I now know, it will definitely take me more than 1 day to make the plugin I desire.

I guess I have a ton of reading to do, if I were to dive into it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules