Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Idiot cashier leaves security tag on my jeans

Idiot cashier leaves security tag on my jeans
PacHead
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 12:26 AM

This is just a mild rant, nothing too serious here. I'm sure this has happened to many people before, but it's the first time for me and I will now examine all my clothes before I leave a store the next time I purchase anything.

Some airhead cashier at a major department store rings up two pairs of jeans which I was purchasing. I head home and later on I discover that one of them still has one of those plastic security tags on the leg. Aren't those things supposed to trigger something when you leave the store ? Otherwise, what's the point ? I do a google search and find a site on removing them. It seems possible, but I don't have those kind of tools, so I'm out of luck, and I don't want to ruin my jeans afterall. Some of those tags have ink that ruins clothes if you try to tamper with them. Anyhow, I guess I'll bring the jeans back to the store inorder to have the tag removed, I still have the reciept of course. Can I demand some kind of compensation ? Shouldn't stores compensate people for their errors and F-ups ? Their error and unprofessionalism will cause me to use a few dollars extra and waste an hour or two of my time, inorder to correct their blunder.

I'm sure the usual suspects will be along and tell me how this was all my fault or something like that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2006, 12:27 AM

OMGWTFBBQ!!!!1!1!111111eleventybillion

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2006, 12:34 AM

Stores aren't generally required to compensate people when they **** up, but it would be a cool for them to do. Sometimes they do.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

meelk
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 12:38 AM

you should demand the cashier's head on a pike, and the public execution of his/her entire family.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by meelk
you should demand the cashier's head on a pike, and the public execution of his/her entire family.
Nah, I have nothing against that particular cashier, she was polite enough, although maybe she was a bit of an airhead. But how can a cashier not notice a huge piece of white plastic still attached to jeans when she is folding them ? On the other hand, the other cashier which I wrote about in a previous, earlier rant, the one who had the nerve to card me for smokes, I hope she's currently unemployed, fat ,pregnant and miserable.

meelk
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Nah, I have nothing against that particular cashier, she was polite enough, although maybe she was a bit of an airhead. But how can a cashier not notice a huge piece of white plastic still attached to jeans when she is folding them ? On the other hand, the other cashier which I wrote about in a previous, earlier rant, the one who had the nerve to card me for smokes, I hope she's currently unemployed, fat ,pregnant and miserable.
sometimes people have other things on their minds, important things, its life. carding you for smokes is part of the other chicks job.
live with it, move along.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by meelk
sometimes people have other things on their minds, important things, its life.
I see where you're coming from, but those sorts of people are not allowed to have other things on their mind when they're supposed to be doing their jobs. I have no time for incompetent people.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2006, 01:21 AM

Just curious; when you are an "airhead" and act unprofessionally, how do you compensate others for your mistakes, or are you perfect? Maybe others feel they have no time for you either. People make mistakes; it's part of life, and you do it as well, so quit portraying others as "incompetent" over a harmless moment of forgetfulness. Making a mistake does not make one an "idiot," but you labeling them as such says a lot about you.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2006, 01:24 AM

OMGWTFBBQ!!!!1!1!111111eleventybillion
Ditto that! Just take them back and let them remove the tag. I can tell you now that if you ask for compensation you probably aren't going to get it. Cool if you do, but I wouldn't even bother to ask.

Angelo

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG
Just curious; when you are an "airhead" and act unprofessionally, how do you compensate others for your mistakes, or are you perfect? Maybe others feel they have no time for you either. People make mistakes; it's part of life, and you do it as well, so quit portraying others as "incompetent" over a harmless moment of forgetfulness. Making a mistake does not make one an "idiot," but you labeling them as such says a lot about you.
You're right, I don't know her, and if this was the first time it happened, then it might be a mistake. However, if it's happened before, then she's most definitely incompetent and unqualified to even be a cashier, which isn't exactly a demanding job.

Sealobo
Mar 19, 2006, 01:28 AM

It happens all the time. and i wonder why some of these tags do not trigger the alarm when the customer walks out of the store.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Angelo78
Ditto that! Just take them back and let them remove the tag. I can tell you now that if you ask for compensation you probably aren't going to get it. Cool if you do, but I wouldn't even bother to ask.

Angelo
That's what I'm going to do, I'm not going to make a stink over this particular issue. This is nowhere as bad as the "smoke carding" thread.

ambush
Banned
Mar 19, 2006, 01:33 AM

OHHH NOEESSSS.. teh TAGEZ

ambush
Banned
Mar 19, 2006, 01:38 AM

I see where you're coming from, but those sorts of people are not allowed to have other things on their mind when they're supposed to be doing their jobs. I have no time for incompetent people.
They don't give a fat **** about you either. So leave them alone and stop crying like an emo bitch

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2006, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo
It happens all the time. and i wonder why some of these tags do not trigger the alarm when the customer walks out of the store.
They're passive security measures. Not all stores will have the electronic gates by the doors.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2006, 01:41 AM

You're right, I don't know her, and if this was the first time it happened, then it might be a mistake. However, if it's happened before, then she's most definitely incompetent and unqualified to even be a cashier, which isn't exactly a demanding job.
Sounds like it was just a simple mistake, man. You're being awfully judgmental about someone you barely know.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

meelk
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 01:41 AM

"those sorts of people". haha. what an arrogant prick you are.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2006, 02:02 AM

Can I demand some kind of compensation ? Shouldn't stores compensate people for their errors and F-ups ?
It's called mistakes. Mistakes happen. Suck it up and deal with it.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
They're passive security measures. Not all stores will have the electronic gates by the doors.
This store is one of the largest in the world (macy's 34 street), it would seem extremely odd if they didn't have the gates, I'm pretty sure they do.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Car accidents are also mistakes, it depends how you look at things. In a business setting, mistakes should have consequences, no matter how small.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 02:15 AM

I walked past that Macy's tonight, heh.

I've been in there a couple of times, and I think they do have the electronic gates near the exits, though I'm not positive. Either way, it was just a mistake, and not the end of the world. Maybe they'll give you a coupon for a future purchase or something, since it'd cost them practically nothing and get you back in the store again, but they're not obligated to or anything.

"I start fires!"

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
I walked past that Macy's tonight, heh.
Perhaps we walked past each other, hehe. I was the tall dude, smoking a cigarette, walking quickly and carrying a macy's bag and a few other bags from other stores.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 02:44 AM

I was the tall dude, smoking a cigarette, walking quickly and carrying a macy's bag
well that narrows it down to about 50% of the people walking down 34th street

"I start fires!"

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 02:52 AM

That happened to me once. I just went back to the store and they removed it with apologies.

"Barwaraaawww"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2006, 02:56 AM

Car accidents are also mistakes, it depends how you look at things. In a business setting, mistakes should have consequences, no matter how small.
I would say that the company taking time to remove the security tag and apologize should be good enough. Asking for more makes you sound whiney and unappreciative of them actually taking the time to correct the mistake.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2006, 03:38 AM

well this is all pretty reasonable..

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2006, 05:13 PM

happened to me at virgin records. the alarm was so loud. the chashier didnt take off the security things when he was scanning

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2006, 05:38 PM

Accidents happen. I would just take the jeans back and have the store remove the security tag. You might ask if they will compensate you in some way.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Super Mario
Mar 19, 2006, 05:42 PM

There was a HMV I used to go to years and years ago where the alarms went off every time I went in and out. The security checked all my pockets and bags and could find nothing. It happened to nobody but me so I stopped going there
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:18 PM. )

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
There was a HMV I used to go to years and years ago where the alarms went off every time I went in and out. The security checked all my pockets and bags and could find nothing. It happened to nobody but me so I stopped going there
My bank cards used to cause that at HMV also. Since it beeped when I walked in they just waved me out when I walked out.

"Barwaraaawww"

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Mar 19, 2006, 07:07 PM

This is just a mild rant, nothing too serious here. I'm sure this has happened to many people before, but it's the first time for me and I will now examine all my clothes before I leave a store the next time I purchase anything.

Some airhead cashier at a major department store rings up two pairs of jeans which I was purchasing. I head home and later on I discover that one of them still has one of those plastic security tags on the leg. Aren't those things supposed to trigger something when you leave the store ? Otherwise, what's the point ? I do a google search and find a site on removing them. It seems possible, but I don't have those kind of tools, so I'm out of luck, and I don't want to ruin my jeans afterall. Some of those tags have ink that ruins clothes if you try to tamper with them. Anyhow, I guess I'll bring the jeans back to the store inorder to have the tag removed, I still have the reciept of course. Can I demand some kind of compensation ? Shouldn't stores compensate people for their errors and F-ups ? Their error and unprofessionalism will cause me to use a few dollars extra and waste an hour or two of my time, inorder to correct their blunder.

I'm sure the usual suspects will be along and tell me how this was all my fault or something like that.

I you get to go in prison, please use your phone call to update us!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Mar 19, 2006, 07:09 PM

Perfection is expected at all times. No apologies for anyone! Demand only the best, at all times!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Mar 19, 2006, 07:10 PM

Perfection is expected at all times. No apologies for anyone! Demand only the best, at all times!

- Burt

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2006, 07:36 PM

I had completely forgotten about that lame, prickalicious WaaaaaaahIgotcardedforsmokes thread. Funny how things can come back in such blinding clarity.

Anyway, if it was the ink-staining variety then they dont usually have the additional alarm triggering properties.

Which reminds me that it was not all that uncommon, a few years previous to now, for the large ink staini to be a proudly worn mark on the clothing of certain demographics of our society.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2006, 08:41 PM

You might be able to get five bucks off another pair of jeans if you act like a complete moron in public and flip out. Or you could just be gracious and realize that the cashier has to deal with tons of people daily and of course sometimes will just forget little things. Keep in mind she has a mind numbing job.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2006, 08:58 PM

Question: If you'd made a genuine mistake and forgotten to pay for one of the items (and the alarm had gone off), would the store be OK with an apology or would you be up for an interesting evening with Bubba?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 09:37 PM

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Question: If you'd made a genuine mistake and forgotten to pay for one of the items (and the alarm had gone off), would the store be OK with an apology or would you be up for an interesting evening with Bubba?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2006, 10:49 PM

And therein lies the problem. You made an automatic assumption that she was an idiot, even posting such in the thread title, without first giving her the benefit of the doubt. It goes without saying that if she does it regularly, then there's an issue, but you have/had no way of knowing that, and simply chose to label her as such because of your arrogance and perceived sense of superiority, even going so far as to attempt to justify your position by classifying her job as inferior. Sadly, you just don't get it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 12:24 AM

You are the biggest fuçking coçksucker I have ever encountered in my entire life.

volcano
Senior User
Mar 20, 2006, 12:52 AM

Anyhow, I guess I'll bring the jeans back to the store inorder to have the tag removed, I still have the reciept of course. Can I demand some kind of compensation ? Shouldn't stores compensate people for their errors and F-ups ? Their error and unprofessionalism will cause me to use a few dollars extra and waste an hour or two of my time, inorder to correct their blunder.
The next time you want to buy something at that particular store, bring the pair of jeans with you. Problem solved. It's not a waste of your time and you'll be fine as long as you have your receipt.

But how can a cashier not notice a huge piece of white plastic still attached to jeans when she is folding them?
How can a customer not notice a huge piece of white plastic still attached to a pair of jeans when she is folding them right in front of you?

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 02:54 AM

Pachead has some major issues with cashiers. I think some girl he liked was a cashier and rejected the hell out of him.

"Barwaraaawww"

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
I was a mistake (cries)

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2006, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
I was a mistake (cries)
Suck it up and deal with it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
You are the biggest fuçking coçksucker I have ever encountered in my entire life.
You might wanna specify the addressee !

-t

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 20, 2006, 01:18 PM

some of you seem unable to treat members with any respect whatsoever. you know, had someone you do like started this thread, you would have given them the benefit of the doubt or even agreed with what they wrote. don't be so quick to make things personal. and knock off the attacks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2006, 01:48 PM

What ? No Trogdor with attached inventory tag ? I'm dissappointed

-t

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Mar 20, 2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
I am most definitely not. I don't suck cock, I don't recall me ever mentioning me being gay.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 03:46 PM

I am most definitely not. I don't suck cock, I don't recall me ever mentioning me being gay.

He may have been talking to me in which case I take it as a compliment.

"Barwaraaawww"

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Mar 20, 2006, 03:46 PM

Anyhow, here is the huge, anti-climatic conclusion to my story.

I went to store today and I just got a security guard to remove the plastic tag for me after I showed my receipt. He said "sorry for the inconvenience", and I said "that's ok, things happen".
I ended up losing my metrocard on the trip there, so my jeans ended up costing $10 more than it should have. It's not that big of a deal. I'm just glad the tag is now off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules