Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Export iMovie Chapters?

Export iMovie Chapters?
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2007, 04:14 PM

If you add chapters to a project in iMovie, if you then use QuickTime to open one of the "Shared Movies" within the project bundle, you are able to use a handy little chapter-popup-menu thing (that appears to the right of the progress bar) to actually select any of the chapters you have made.

However, when you export the movie as an QuickTime Movie, I cannot find the option anywhere to keep these chapter markings.

I know they are for use by iDVD, but does anyone know how to produce a compressed version of my iMovie project that keeps the chapter markings and lets me use them in QuickTime?

Failing that, does anyone know an automated way of exporting the clips (that the chapters correspond to) as separate files, other than shuffling them back and forth between the timeline and the clips pane? I have a project with 74 clips right now, and doing that by hand sounds tedious. But if there's no way to keep the chapter markings, at least this way would kind of work, so long as I used some kind of playlist player.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2007, 11:03 PM

Does anyone know?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 01:22 AM

The app I wrote (see link) can copy the chapters from the iMovie reference movie to your exported movie. Or if you're just exporting to DV codec (copying to a self-contained movie) you can use it to batch convert the reference movies to self-contained movies.

http://metahoot.3ivx.com

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
The app I wrote (see link) can copy the chapters from the iMovie reference movie to your exported movie. Or if you're just exporting to DV codec (copying to a self-contained movie) you can use it to batch convert the reference movies to self-contained movies.
Thank you, looking at your site, it seems you have the perfect solution to what I have been wanting to do for around two years now. I shall be trying it out this weekend.

Forum Links
Forum Rules