Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Why is My Damn Ti800 So Freakin HOT???

Why is My Damn Ti800 So Freakin HOT???
speedraycer
Sep 30, 2002, 05:34 PM

Really, I left it plugged in to download file from 8am to 5 pm, and i can't touch the bottom case. this is just not right... it was never like this before i took this thing with me this weekend to watch DVD's on.... Wierd. The fan is also on pretty much 24/7 and was on when I got home today.

skyman
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by speedraycer:
Really, I left it plugged in to download file from 8am to 5 pm, and i can't touch the bottom case. this is just not right... it was never like this before i took this thing with me this weekend to watch DVD's on.... Wierd. The fan is also on pretty much 24/7 and was on when I got home today.
Since it is still under warrantee you should call Apple.

engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2002, 01:22 PM

My powerbook rev.b 550 can get really hot sometimes too. I find that ambient temperature and what is surrounding the 'book has a big effect on how hot it runs. Really the room temperature shouldn't be above 25C and it should be sitting somewhere not in the sunlight. As well, it should be able to breathe and be on a flat surface. I find after all that, I will only get the low speed fan.

Cheers
I learned the hard way that you can't use vB smilies in your sig. see --> :cry:

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2002, 02:37 PM

The first fan on my 800 is almost always on, and the second (louder) fan usually comes on every few minutes when the CPU is working at full speed.

But even under a light/normal load, the area directly under the screen (the white plastic border in particular) is extremely hot, and definitely would burn skin if you keep your finger on it for more than a second. It gets much, much hotter than any previous PowerBook I've had.

I wish there was an accurate CPU temp monitor for these machines... I'd love to know the actual temperature at the CPU.

speedraycer  (op)
Oct 2, 2002, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by haunebu:
The first fan on my 800 is almost always on, and the second (louder) fan usually comes on every few minutes when the CPU is working at full speed.

But even under a light/normal load, the area directly under the screen (the white plastic border in particular) is extremely hot, and definitely would burn skin if you keep your finger on it for more than a second. It gets much, much hotter than any previous PowerBook I've had.

I wish there was an accurate CPU temp monitor for these machines... I'd love to know the actual temperature at the CPU.

i agree... the high speed fan kicks on lately... i the white spot under the screen gets sickly hot... im gonna email apple

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2002, 08:50 PM

From what I've heard, the next PowerBook is going to use a different kind of fan (turbine, I believe) to dissipate heat more effectively.

Until then, get a CoolPad.

reviews.macnn.com

MickS
Senior User
Oct 3, 2002, 10:27 AM

I've found that it depends on the surface that I'm running my TiBook on. Some conduct the heat better than others.

I have used my Ti as a true laptop but make sure that there is space for air to circulate around it. Keeps my legs warm in the winter

speedraycer  (op)
Oct 3, 2002, 11:11 AM

yeah i make sure i wear shorts and kick the AC when i set it on my lap

OpenStep
Senior User
Oct 4, 2002, 11:25 PM

My Ti 400 mhz gets extremely hot too... even sometimes I've noticed after the fan has been on for a while I have to lift the machine up in order to get it to turn off. Recently I've gone back to using my Pismo... reminds me how much cooler it is compared to my Ti.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2002, 12:51 AM

You might try resetting the Power Managment Unit buy pushing the reset button located under the keyboard in the upper right hand side of the unit. I've had similar problems that I found the unit running extremely hot and the fans would be on continuously. The battery life also seemed to be affected when this occured. Give it a try. It can't hurt.

Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2002, 12:18 AM

I checked the powerbooks at the Apple Store and they seemed pretty hot as well. My Ti800 is very hot as well. My fan runs all the time.
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

Rich Jercha
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2002, 07:38 PM

In answer to the original question, because apple's are the sexiest computers ever to exist! lol I can't believe no one else said that. I mean obviously that's what the question was.

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2002, 02:10 AM

My old rev a 400 got really hot but my new rev c 667 is positively different, does get warm but nothing like the old one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules