Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN} Tiger Theme by Max released.

[ANN} Tiger Theme by Max released.
digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 02:44 PM

Get it here.

Contains a small bug on the right menubar cap. You'll need to open it and mod the cap. Just cut~paste~flip H and paste it in with GuiKitty.

On second thought, here's the fixed graphic in case Max gets busy.....

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2004, 03:47 PM

Is there a graphite version of the displays menu extra? Right now it is sort of sticking out, being a blue menu extra against a graphite menu cap.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 4, 2004, 05:14 PM

The bug you mention was an intentional work around by me, because for me the right cap got shaved of by 1 pixel so I moved it 1 pixel to the left.
Did it look bad for you in the original version?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
The bug you mention was an intentional work around by me, because for me the right cap got shaved of by 1 pixel so I moved it 1 pixel to the left.
Is it possible for it to be an 'LCD thing'? It looks like that on my system too

What app (and where can it be found) is used for guiKit creation/editing?
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Jul 4, 2004 at 05:32 PM. )

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 05:28 PM

It was just noticable but it seems to be ok with the second graphic...some of the menubar apps like to slide over into it though....

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Is it possible for it to be an 'LCD thing'? It looks like that on my system too

What app (and where can it be found) is used for guiKit creation/editing?
here: http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000314.php

enjoy

edit: thank you Max, and DigitalJames(for making it easy)
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 10:40 PM

Made a slight menu mod.....

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2004, 12:07 AM

I agree, a graphite version would definitely be a welcome edition.

Dave

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2004, 12:57 AM

I have the same problem with the "fix" not fixing it and throwing it a pixel column off.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2004, 01:03 AM

Does this work on OS X 8A162? Can it be made to? APE sure doesn't...

*puts on fire retardant suit*

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by qnxde:
Does this work on OS X 8A162? Can it be made to? APE sure doesn't...

*puts on fire retardant suit*
Doubt it. The theme resources wouldn't even match Tiger's so even if it was .dlta I really doubt it would work. And APE sure needs an update for Tiger.
click one

ender2002
Senior User
Jul 5, 2004, 08:38 AM

I have both of the menubar endcaps working, (i'll do the 1-pixel over fix later), but my menubar clock is in the middle of the blue and white and looks pretty shoddy. Is there a menubar spacer or application to fix the spacing issue in the menubar?

ubba
Jul 5, 2004, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by ender2002:
I have both of the menubar endcaps working, (i'll do the 1-pixel over fix later), but my menubar clock is in the middle of the blue and white and looks pretty shoddy. Is there a menubar spacer or application to fix the spacing issue in the menubar?
Hello ender2002,
try to press command and drag another item at the end of the menubar (like PPPoE)
Bye!

ender2002
Senior User
Jul 5, 2004, 09:12 AM

I keep moving things around, but nothing looks good. I have deskshade plus up there but I think I need to make the menubarwidget a bit wider and change the icon to something more tiger-like.

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by ender2002:
I keep moving things around, but nothing looks good. I have deskshade plus up there but I think I need to make the menubarwidget a bit wider and change the icon to something more tiger-like.
Included in the theme is a spotlight type menubar icon that will pull up the display preference. Use this to offset the clock into the normal menubar area.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Jul 5, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by digitaljames:

That looks great, what font are you using?

Did you have to use silk to change it?

ender2002
Senior User
Jul 5, 2004, 11:09 AM

Included in the theme is a spotlight type menubar icon that will pull up the display preference. Use this to offset the clock into the normal menubar area.
thankyou

RageAPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by AU_student_iceBook:

The font that DJ is using looks like Eurostile to me.

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by AU_student_iceBook:

Yes to Silk and the font is handelGotDLig

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Jul 5, 2004, 01:57 PM

Yes to Silk and the font is handelGotDLig
Thanks.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2004, 09:27 PM

Close, but no cigar is my view... make the gel selection rectangluar, not round, please.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2004, 10:28 AM

OK, whenever I try to mod this theme in ThemePark, I make a new GuiKit package, make a new theme, merge with installed elements, then I make a couple mods, export the theme out and I don't see all the menubar caps. I only see what was right before the apple. What am I doing wrong?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 7, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by wagmedia:
OK, whenever I try to mod this theme in ThemePark, I make a new GuiKit package, make a new theme, merge with installed elements, then I make a couple mods, export the theme out and I don't see all the menubar caps. I only see what was right before the apple. What am I doing wrong?
The theme includes a modified Layo resource that is not picked up by theme park when making a new theme. If you want to make changes, use GuiKitty.

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2004, 02:30 PM

The theme includes a modified Layo resource that is not picked up by theme park when making a new theme. If you want to make changes, use GuiKitty.
I realized that after messing around with it for a few hours. I wish I would have known that sooner...thanks Max.

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 03:31 PM

That still doesn't work...I think. If I take say, the Milk Theme and decompile it with GuiKitty, edit the extras.rsrc with Themepark, (add in your Tiger menubarcaps that I modded to have the Milk base and the menu extras that are with the Milk Theme but not the Tiger Theme) and recompile it with GuiKitty, the menu caps are tiny again......can you whip up a revised extras.rsrc for Tiger that has the menu extras in it?...or Smeger could stop whatever he's doing and patch Themepark to allow the wide menubar caps....

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 7, 2004, 05:26 PM

That still doesn't work...I think. If I take say, the Milk Theme and decompile it with GuiKitty, edit the extras.rsrc with Themepark, (add in your Tiger menubarcaps that I modded to have the Milk base and the menu extras that are with the Milk Theme but not the Tiger Theme) and recompile it with GuiKitty, the menu caps are tiny again......can you whip up a revised extras.rsrc for Tiger that has the menu extras in it?...or Smeger could stop whatever he's doing and patch Themepark to allow the wide menubar caps....

No that wouldn't work, no. But it works if you want to edit the tiger theme. If you want to move the caps into an other theme, you need to copy the layo as well. It should be in the Extras.rsrc.

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 07:59 PM

No that wouldn't work, no. But it works if you want to edit the tiger theme. If you want to move the caps into an other theme, you need to copy the layo as well. It should be in the Extras.rsrc.
So there's actually a resource named layo? I'm confused..

swiz
GUI Punk
Jul 7, 2004, 08:58 PM

So there's actually a resource named layo? I'm confused..
layos are a different type of info in the Extras file, they store information about how the Extra's graphics are placed/handled/displayed.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
layos are a different type of info in the Extras file, they store information about how the Extra's graphics are placed/handled/displayed.
OK, so how are they edited? Good to see ya by the way. How goes it?

swiz
GUI Punk
Jul 7, 2004, 11:05 PM

OK, so how are they edited? Good to see ya by the way. How goes it?
Hey dj, its going good, the hustle in my bustle is yet to lessen :/
Like Max said, run the guiKit through guiKitty then open the Extras file with a resource editor such as Resorcerer and you'll see in the left column "layos" select the word and copy it then paste it into the Extras file you wish to apply the menucaps to. Save it and then drag it onto guiKitty to turn it into a guiKit you can use with SS. Oila!

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 11:42 PM

OK, so how are they edited?
This procedure is seriously not for the faint of heart. Required are Resourcerer and the MenuEnhancer templates created by the Desktopper.net guys (their site is gone, not sure what my link goes to).

Warning: Very difficult procedure follows!!!
  • Make a backup of your existing "tpark" file. You'll probably screw this procedure up a few times, resulting in an unusable file. So back that mofo up!
  • Open your existing "tpark" theme using ThemePark.
  • Navigate to Themes -> (variant you wish to modify). Single-click the name of the variant you wish to modify.
  • Click "Options" and verify that "Enable more menu customization" is checked.
  • Close your theme in ThemePark, saving it if necessary.
  • Open your theme's "tpark" file using Apple's Property List Editor application (part of the developer tools).
  • Navigate to Root -> theme -> themes -> (some number) -> elements -> globalElements -> layoResources.

The (some number) corresponds the variant you wish to edit. The name of the variant can be found in (some number) -> title.

Describing what the 'layo' resources do and how to edit them is beyond the scope of this write-up. Suffice to say, the only place where they're really useful is in menubars, and the Japanese guys responsible for MenuEnhancer have a decent write-up about it somewhere on the net.
  • Once you've figured out which resource you wish to edit, expand it and double-click the contents of the Value column to the right of defaultValue.
  • Copy the contents.
  • Switch to TextEdit and paste them into a new document. Remove the angle brackets at the beginning and end.
  • Select all and copy.
  • Launch Resourcerer and create a new document.
  • Press the "New" button in the bottom-right corner. The type is 'layo' and the ID is whatever it was in the "tpark" file.
  • Paste in the "Hex Data" area.

To edit the layo resource in a meaningful way, you'll need to have the MenuEnhancer Resourcerer templates present in your Resourcerer document. Just copy/paste the appropriate one in to your document.
  • Once you're done editing, select your 'layo' resource in Resourcerer and press the "Hex" button to view it as hexadecimal.
  • Select All and Copy.
  • Move back to Property List Editor
  • Double-click the contents of defaultValue so they're editable. Type an opening angle bracket, paste in tons of hex, and type a closing angle bracket. Hit return to finish the edit.
  • Repeat for the hex in the value field.
  • Save and quit Property List Editor.
  • Open your "tpark" file in ThemePark and export it as a guiKit for ShapeShifter.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 12:09 AM

Wow, that looks nasty to do Jason.......I was successful using Max's premade LAYO and pasting it into my edited Milk extras.rsrc. So I now have Tiger Milk! weeeeeeee...... no way in hell I wanna even try what you just posted...

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 12:15 AM

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 01:13 PM

OK, now ou HAVE to post that mod! Post ti in Max's forums if you don't want to here, but pleeease post it somewhere.

Mooga2
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 07:23 PM

Really awesome work. Would you mind posting a link to it?
"He only has one look... it's like I've been taking crazy pills!"

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 09:36 PM

I'm working on getting permission....

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 10:22 AM

I'm working on getting permission....
Not sure you need it. Max lets users post mods of his themes in his forums.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jul 9, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Not sure you need it. Max lets users post mods of his themes in his forums.
You better get permission if you use another person's work and then plan to distribute to other users. If you don't... hmmmm... the members of this forum and any other would lynch you in a heart beat.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2004, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
You better get permission if you use another person's work and then plan to distribute to other users. If you don't... hmmmm... the members of this forum and any other would lynch you in a heart beat.
Good point, but I doubt themers got Apple's permission to use their work (resources, etc.) in their mods. Anyway, Max lets users posts mods to his themes in his forum. Seems that is permission to me.

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2004, 12:38 PM

From Max's site:

"If you have modified one of my themes and would like to share your modification, first post a preview here and when I've had a look at it I will probably let you post a download for it.

The posted themes can only be posted here (you are not allowed to post them on your homepage for example) and you are responsible for any possible harm done to a users system by your theme.

The reason that you can only post it here is because it's a modification of my theme, and I don't want someone taking credit for my artwork. I hope you respect that."

That's been the rule for as long as Max has had the user modded themes forum, which is almost two years now I think.

Forum Links
Forum Rules