Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > theme team

theme team
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 10:18 PM

any takers? if someone is willing to share their website to allow us to post our ideas thaT WOULD BE COOL. I have some great ideas and I bet you guys have even more and we should share pics of these ideas to collaborate on a theme.

is it possible to have animated backgrounds for mac os windows? i.e. water flowing?

that would be awesome

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2003, 10:32 PM

the leauge of extraordinary themers...

Stevos
Dec 31, 2003, 11:12 PM

theme team from the inseam.
swont

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 12:23 AM

I've already got a group of 3 working under the Android Workshop GUI Lab, we've got a few ideas going now and a bunch of mockups, but nothing under construction at this time.
click one

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2004, 01:05 AM

That'd be really cool...especially if the team was balanced. I.E.- Someone that knows their way undeniably well around Photoshop, someone who knows their way around theming like no one's business, someone to scale down insane proposals into practical usage and execution, and someone that can release a controlled hype .

I'd love to know where I fit under those categories...

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 02:14 AM

Well I'd be open to a few more members to the GUI lab if anyone is really interested. At this point people who know their way around ThemePark would be helpful, I'm more of a designer than a builder of themes myself.
click one

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2004, 04:51 AM

Tha's why ya got me. I know photoshop reasonably well, but I am all about ThemePark.

Dave

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 01:58 PM

I know photoshop very well, however I am still learning theme park, I know onle about half of what everything does

I would love to be on a team.

name: cookie monster
email: [email protected]
aim: boy8cookie
ph #: yea right
talent: photoshop, illustrator, after effects, image ready
weakness: themepark

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by boy8cookie:
I know photoshop very well, however I am still learning theme park, I know onle about half of what everything does

I would love to be on a team.

name: cookie monster
email: [email protected]
aim: boy8cookie
ph #: yea right
talent: photoshop, illustrator, after effects, image ready
weakness: themepark
Ok, I'll be giving you an email. I'm going to see about making a private forum for everyone in the team on FunMac and we can base our operations their.
click one

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 04:13 PM

Hay WICKEDfour if you're interested, just let me know. I've got a private forum setup on FunMac now.
click one

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2004, 02:47 AM

some portfolio work would be nice too
lets get going!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by orangep0ny:
some portfolio work would be nice too
lets get going!
Indeed. Anyone interested in joining, just show some photoshop work and your in if your good.
click one

Dace
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 09:12 PM

I got a 1001 ideas and I'm not bad in Photoshop...I just hate all the work that's involve in Themepark....not my favorite part of theming. I don't know if much has changed, but slicing images and pasting scroolbars 100 times isn't much fun...so I could help on the creative and mockup side.

Did you know that on the Windows side there are companies (basically theme teams) that create great GUI kits and charge for them? If we put together a good theme we could do the same. And why should the TT (theme team) stop at themes? Why not also create icons, desktops, K-Widgets etc....a whole complete GUI Kit, a la BBX. It would be done much faster as a team rather than alone.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 10:19 PM

There's the whole creative control thing though, some times you've just got an idea that's clear in your mind and you don't want anyone messing with it. I think it would work well to have the creator of the mockup or concept be the "art director" for that theme.

I don't think charging for themes is really cool, but I'd be all for a "suggested donation".

So are you interested Dace? I've seen some of your stuff, you would be helpful. Here's the fourms http://funmac.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=67

Desktop and icon designers would be great to have too.
click one

Dace
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 10:43 PM

Not charge for themes, but for GUI Kits which would include the theme, matching icons, desktops etc... If you can charge for a theme changer why can't you charge for a theme suite?

And sure, I'm in.Let me know how I can contribute

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2004, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by Dace:
Not charge for themes, but for GUI Kits which would include the theme, matching icons, desktops etc... If you can charge for a theme changer why can't you charge for a theme suite?

And sure, I'm in.Let me know how I can contribute
Charging for themes is not cool.

Charging for theming Software is also not cool.

I've made my point.

Though If I had of charged for some of my work, I'd be rich by now.

Chris

Stevos
Jan 3, 2004, 04:45 AM

Why is theming software less fair to be charged for than a web browser, a MP3 player, a FTP client, or Adobe Photoshop?

As much work goes into these things as any other app. It's wonderful that for so long people volunteered their time to create free options, but at the end of the day those solutions weren't good enough. Attribute that to anything you want, but themers were spending lots of time explaining why their theme had hosed someone's installation.

Their software is Unsanity's livelihood. They don't have 'day jobs'. It's perfectly fair for them to charge for it.

Similarly, theme designers could charge for themes. They spend an assload of time on those. It's a wonderful aspect of these people that they are so giving, but don't take it for granted. Send your themers a few dollars if you can, it will make their day far more than the monetary amount.

On the other hand, do I vehemently think that GuiKit should be an open format? YES.
swont

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 04:46 AM

no charge, ever. would you pay for a GUIkIT?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Charging for themes is not cool.

Charging for theming Software is also not cool.

I've made my point.

Though If I had of charged for some of my work, I'd be rich by now.

Chris
I suppose you didn't pay for Panther or Photoshop then..? I agree that themes them selfs should be free, but I DON'T agree with you about all software.
click one

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2004, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I suppose you didn't pay for Panther or Photoshop then..? I agree that themes them selfs should be free, but I DON'T agree with you about all software.
I'm a Windows user.

I don't agree with stardock charging for WB, but at least they have a FREE version with just a few limitations.

And charging for theme creation software is just plain wrong. Why should us artists have to pay to give something away for free?

Chris

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
I'm a Windows user.

I don't agree with stardock charging for WB, but at least they have a FREE version with just a few limitations.

And charging for theme creation software is just plain wrong. Why should us artists have to pay to give something away for free?

Chris
Ahhhh I thought you were a windows user.... (Mac users don't mind when people call WIndows "Winblowz") Well as I see it I'll give my themes away for free because it shows my design skills and at the same time I'm sharing it with other users because it was fun to design and it's just cool to know people like my themes. The software would be nice to have for free, but I know the guys who are working on it, they really are spending more time than anyone should on it just to give it away for free, and it's not like they are able to buy a new G5 thanks to the shareware fees or anything.
click one

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Ahhhh I thought you were a windows user.... (Mac users don't mind when people call WIndows "Winblowz") Well as I see it I'll give my themes away for free because it shows my design skills and at the same time I'm sharing it with other users because it was fun to design and it's just cool to know people like my themes. The software would be nice to have for free, but I know the guys who are working on it, they really are spending more time than anyone should on it just to give it away for free, and it's not like they are able to buy a new G5 thanks to the shareware fees or anything.
I know they work hard and deserve some money. What I disagree with is that they are taking free work, slapping it into a closed format, and basically forcing people to pay for a theme they like. wheras before it was free for all.

Oh, and I really dont care if you call it 'winblowz' I'm just not that immature. And I tend to frown upon those that are.

Chris

Stevos
Jan 3, 2004, 11:27 PM

It was free and a huge headache to theme devlopers to run support for the thing.

Themeing is extremely non-essential, and it's cheap to get in the game.
swont

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 12:11 AM

Well themeing would be nonexistent to the degree it is now if it wasn't for their hard work... It is true that their product is powered by the theme developers who give out free themes, but why should anyone really care? It's just like how people make skins for shareware mp3 players. They give us the tools, so why complane?
click one

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 02:47 PM

Sooo..... is there a team? I've started a new one but I don't have a good track record in finishing them. Not sure if i wanna share it yet but just looking into ideas.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 03:54 PM

Well the team never really got going, everyone got too busy with other stuff or never was very involved. But I've got a few contacts with people who might eventually help make my mockups into themes. I'd be really interested in teaming up with anyone willing to just pump out some cool themes. I'm a mockup/idea guy, not a themepark guy, so I could really use someone on that end.
click one

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 04:06 PM

Themepark got a lot easier with the new photoshop integration. However it still takes forever!

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2004, 04:10 PM

Net, I'm still willing to help with ThemePark. Got more time to work now.

Dave

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 04:16 PM

Yes time is my problem, I don't have time to learn how to use it, (I have played with it a bit and know some of the ropes though) and on top of that I don't have time to assemble the theme.

If there were an active theme team that worked with mockup designers who don't know or have time for themepark, I think there would be a lot more really nice themes coming out.
click one

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2004, 04:21 PM

Net: If you help me get the widgets made, I'll be glad to toss things together in ThemePark.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by MorphOSX:
Net: If you help me get the widgets made, I'll be glad to toss things together in ThemePark.
Cool
click one

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2004, 04:38 PM

Glad to be of service bro. Check the threads....

Dave

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Twister:
Themepark got a lot easier with the new photoshop integration. However it still takes forever!
Actually, it takes F---O---R---E---V---E---R!..............

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 05:26 PM

My new theme is actually going quite well. I'm impressed!! This Photoshop/Themepark thing makes hard things easier!!

But I agree.... F.....O....R....E....V....E....R

When will they make the mini and small elements just smaller versions of the big. Automatically? That'd help a lot!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 05:29 PM

When will they make the mini and small elements just smaller versions of the big. Automatically? That'd help a lot!
Hmm I'll pass that on to Jason if he hasn't already heard that request.
click one

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 05:53 PM

I've told him.

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 07:08 PM

I'm most definitely aware of this.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 07:40 PM

Any inside information? Like... it's coming or it's fn hard?

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2004, 09:19 PM

This idea about paying for themes has been discussed before. I would like to state my opinion; I would most definatly pay for a GUIKit if it involves me getting the whole shebang eg. konfabulator widgets, Audion faces etc. for a few bucks, say $15-$20.

I am also under the impression that people do not donate unless it's something really original and the author offers more exclusive content if you do donate. - But it's hard to be original at the currrent state. titlebar widgets can only be a certain size and shape - although some are pushing the limits as seen in the mockup contest at macthemes. Although they are only that- mockups.

I'm not trying to derail this thread or something. But I have paid for several themes for Windowblinds simply because there was no other legal way of obtaining the themes and the extras offered. And I have enjoyed myself while doing it. It gives a certain satisfaction to click the "pay" button.

Have a nice day/evening.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

penguinn
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2004, 10:48 PM

i already have a theme team at the moment its just me and peter macwhinnie but if you want to join with me to make themes icons or desktops, go ahead and email me [[email protected]]
*DeXtop GUI

Forum Links
Forum Rules