Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New new Tiger features

New new Tiger features
sambeau
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 11:49 AM

Appleinsider and Macrumors are reporting even more new features for Tiger and have some developer screenshots to back it up
Among them are support for Jabber accounts in iChat, broadened parental controls for family members with Family Controls, RSS reader preferences for within Safari, Address Book sharing, PDF bookmarking, and incremental Energy Saver settings, Dynamic DNS sharing preferences, an iTunes album art screensaver, and an option to encrypt memory when being swapped to disk. Among several other noticeable additions, the new Tiger builds reveal a brand new Mac OS X Graphing Calculator application, iCal calendar groups, and an enhanced dialog that provides bug report and safe relaunch options following an unexpected application crash, according to AppleInsider.
http://www.macrumors.com/
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=649
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=650

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Sep 14, 2004, 12:09 PM

Apple bought Curvus Pro X !

http://www.curvuspro.ch/osx/images/s...ts/Screen1.jpg

http://images.appleinsider.com/image...r8a2graph2.gif

Good stuff!

Addressbook Sharing is nice. One step closer hopefully to a nice suite.
( Last edited by hmurchison2001; Sep 14, 2004 at 12:19 PM. )
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 12:09 PM

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 14, 2004, 12:20 PM

The juicy parts to me so far are:

- the Security and Parental Control features which will allow encryption of the swap file data and restrict web access

- Address Book sharing which will probably allow people on the network to share contacts (or users on the same computer?)

- the first look at the brand new PDFKit framework which allow annotation by drawing a red oval around an area of interest

- iCal finally will display frickin' Address Book birthdays!!!

- Dynamic DNS support, Xsan, Xgrid

- new easier-to-use Energy Saver features

- and last but not least, a good Graphing Calculator (Curvus Pro X)...it still looks rough around the edges (the icons still haven't changed) but Apple will surely clean it up between now and Tiger's release

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 12:55 PM

the energy saver looks good. i assume you can say "when the battery life is this much go to this profile."

tiger is shaping up to be very cool!

cpac
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 04:19 PM

anybody know what "iCal groups" are? Like grouping of calendars? Sharing of calendars only with specific groups? or (since they *finally* figured it out with Address Book)the ability to share a calendar among a group and have it editable by anyone?

PS - hope theres a simple "highlight" tool in the new Preview - annotations are fine, but I want just a simple highlight tool...
cpac

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
anybody know what "iCal groups" are? Like grouping of calendars? Sharing of calendars only with specific groups? or (since they *finally* figured it out with Address Book)the ability to share a calendar among a group and have it editable by anyone?

PS - hope theres a simple "highlight" tool in the new Preview - annotations are fine, but I want just a simple highlight tool...
I'm guessing groups are like smart playlist. "show me all meeting at XXXX with VVVV"

and YaY on the Address Book birthdays.

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 10:39 PM

There's is one thing I hope Tiger will able to do once it is released and that is have SpotLight be able to search for keywords that are contained in a file's comment tag. I have submitted it to Apple, hopefully others might have, too. That way maybe Apple might implement it.

Mike

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2004, 12:18 AM

This one seems interesting to me.

http://images.appleinsider.com/images/tiger8a2crash.gif

Has Apple built in automatic trashing (after backing up) of prefs files when they get messed up? Should save newbies a lot of headaches.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

chessplayer
Sep 15, 2004, 01:56 AM

That's awesome news about the Graphing Calculator (looks great!) and Jabber support.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 03:16 AM

I just want to see a full page screenshot with the shiny menubar.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2004, 05:05 AM

Do the current Tiger builds have a Preview.app that can finally handle PDF forms correctly?

If I get a PDF form in Panther the PDF Browser Plugin and Adobe Reader display and print the form entries. Preview doesn't.

Has this nasty bug been fixed in Tiger's Preview.app?

PrettyBoyClone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 05:08 AM

From the Curvus Pro X website:

On July 22, 2004 Curvus Pro X was bought by an international company and its distribution has been discontinued. It is therefore not possible any longer to download nor to buy any kind of registration license for this program.

We would like at this point to thank all the users sincerely who registered and supported us during the development of this program.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Yeah... me too!
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
- the first look at the brand new PDFKit framework which allow annotation by drawing a red oval around an area of interest
I must have missed that in the article; where was it?

If this is true, might it signal a return for the single best feature of the old Apple Guide help system: namely, coach marks? For those who don't remember these, Apple Guide was able to draw highlighted circles around controls and other areas on the screen. Rather than simply appear all at once, they were animated, such that they appeared to be drawn with a thick marker. In addition to the circles, one could underline, or draw check marks and X marks, and one could choose a red or green pen.

This was particularly useful when doing step-by-step guides. The guide could say "Open the Apple menu" while drawing a circle around it, to draw the user's attention. I always missed this feature when Apple moved to its HTML-based Apple Help system, and I'd be really glad to see it come back.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Has Apple built in automatic trashing (after backing up) of prefs files when they get messed up?
I hope not, that is, unless you can turn this "feature" off...

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
I hope not, that is, unless you can turn this "feature" off...
You misunderstand - when an app unexpectedly quits, you get three options:

1. Cancel
2. Submit bug report
3. Safe relaunch (prefs backed up, and fresh ones created)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2004, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
This one seems interesting to me.

http://images.appleinsider.com/images/tiger8a2crash.gif

Has Apple built in automatic trashing (after backing up) of prefs files when they get messed up? Should save newbies a lot of headaches.
THAT is *seriously* cool.

-s*

MartiNZ
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 01:56 PM

Yeah that is cool, but I'm not sure 'Cancel' is the right word for the first option....

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 02:13 PM

Why hasn't this been leaked massively yet?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2004, 02:22 PM

I can't wait for Tiger. Lookin' good.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I can't wait for Tiger. Lookin' good.
Long way off.... it's good and bad.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 15, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I must have missed that in the article; where was it?

If this is true, might it signal a return for the single best feature of the old Apple Guide help system: namely, coach marks? For those who don't remember these, Apple Guide was able to draw highlighted circles around controls and other areas on the screen. Rather than simply appear all at once, they were animated, such that they appeared to be drawn with a thick marker. In addition to the circles, one could underline, or draw check marks and X marks, and one could choose a red or green pen.

This was particularly useful when doing step-by-step guides. The guide could say "Open the Apple menu" while drawing a circle around it, to draw the user's attention. I always missed this feature when Apple moved to its HTML-based Apple Help system, and I'd be really glad to see it come back.
AFAIK, PDFKit is just a framework that allows developers to more easily integrate PDF viewing as well as tools such as annotation and searching.

Pretty much what Preview can do right now + the new annotation tool but available to all.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by MartiNZ:
Yeah that is cool, but I'm not sure 'Cancel' is the right word for the first option....
same here I think it should be something like "Dismiss"

K++
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by hmurchison2001:
Apple bought Curvus Pro X !

http://www.curvuspro.ch/osx/images/s...ts/Screen1.jpg

http://images.appleinsider.com/image...r8a2graph2.gif

Good stuff!

Addressbook Sharing is nice. One step closer hopefully to a nice suite.
That is monstrously ugly, I don't hate Brushed Metal, I just hate ugly Brushed Metal apps.

mikemako
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
me too.. does this build have the shiny menubar with blue at both ends like the build that Steve previewed when Tiger was first unveiled?
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

zachs
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by mikemako:
me too.. does this build have the shiny menubar with blue at both ends like the build that Steve previewed when Tiger was first unveiled?
Here you go (Click to download a 5.7MB HQX file.)

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 07:12 PM

OK. Thats it.

How do you get those screenshots? Those are SO high res! How do you DO that?
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 15, 2004, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Devin Lane:
OK. Thats it.

How do you get those screenshots? Those are SO high res! How do you DO that?
It's the new resolution independent GUI...

...haha, I wish. They're just high res graphics Apple gives out for print publishers to use in their magazines. Normal screenshots would look pixelated on paper

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 09:21 PM

I could've put Dynamic DNS to good use for a long time. Now my router handles everything.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 02:34 AM

How does Tiger's dyn DNS work? Does Apple run their own DNS server that lets Tiger clients register their current DNS (with some kind of daemon running in Tiger) or did they license some service like dyndns.org?

forkies
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by Truepop:
same here I think it should be something like "Dismiss"
or "OK" ?

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2004, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by Krypton:
You misunderstand - when an app unexpectedly quits, you get three options:

1. Cancel
2. Submit bug report
3. Safe relaunch (prefs backed up, and fresh ones created)

Some may not have caught the detail in the dialog that says the application quit after being relaunched. The first poster to notice this feature explained it correctly. This dialog is not presented for regular unexpected quits but for unexpected quits after a relaunch. I don't see anything wrong with naming the first option Cancel. But then again I don't know how useful this feature could be. The few times I've had a relaunched app quit after launch I could only fix it through a restart.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
How does Tiger's dyn DNS work? Does Apple run their own DNS server that lets Tiger clients register their current DNS (with some kind of daemon running in Tiger) or did they license some service like dyndns.org?
Interesting... I'll have to ask my guy at Apple...

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
Ok that looks nice it was the first thing i noticed in Tiger that needed to be done to the entire menu.

BUT-why on earth do they still have that same Flat Blue selection bar in menu's this is the same as OS 9 and hasn't changed at all. In the pic the drop down Spotlight menu highlighting the 'Show all (75)' ,menu item is what im talking about. This should be the same bezeled style as the menu bar and the same color as used in the 'Search' field directly above the 'show All (75) item i mentioned. This would look so much nicer!!

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 09:23 AM

Safari still aint threaded !!! Load a large page in a Tab create another Tab an load another large page. This second page will NOT load until the first page is finished or the second page loads extremely slowly until the first page has finished. Mozilla based browsers seem to share resources between multiple windows.

Most annoying, load a page in a window or tab, then click an browse a menu like bookmarks... Safari completely STOPS. This should not happen, the page should continue to load regardless of any mouse clicks. This is the type of sh!t we all hated about OS 9x and Mac OS X was supposed to not do this sh!t.

Still no 'Offline Mode' to browse cache when no network is available... like when your on a 15 hour plane journey :-(

Still no control of JavaScripts, mainly to prevent scripts from moving windows and resizing them. Why does this behavior obviously not p!ss anyone else off?

Still not preference setting to 'Create New Tab' for links that 'Open in New Windows'. I shouldn't have to be constantly looking at the status bar when hovering the cursor over every damned link to check that the link will open in a new window thus forcing me to 'Command Click' the link to get it to open in a new Tab instead. Even so this does not always work since many pages seem to have some stupid scrolling text in the status bar an this masks completely the actual content of the link the cursor is hovering over and thus u can't see if the link will open a new window in the first place.

I only want to open new Tab's NOT WINDOWS!!
( Last edited by Targon; Sep 16, 2004 at 09:53 AM. )

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 09:28 AM

Still cannot change the SIZE of the System Font BOOOOOOOOOO

Even on my brand new 15' PowerBook the Font in the Main Menu and in contextual menu's is TØØ fsckin BIG !!! i hate this so bad!! I want it 2 sizes smaller.

Maybe if the Font was smaller i could view more items in my bookmarks menu in Safari and it wouldn't be so fsck'n WIDE !!!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2004, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Targon:
Safari still aint threaded !!! Load a large page in a Tab create another Tab an load another large page. This second page will NOT load until the first page is finished or the second page loads extremely slowly until the first page has finished. Mozilla based browsers seem to share resources between multiple windows.
Actually, Safari is threaded. What you're seeing is another issue.

In HTTP 0.9 and HTTP 1.0, everything on the Web had to be downloaded over a separate connection. For example, if you had a page with five images on it, that required five HTTP connections. On slower pipes, such as modems, these tend to interfere with each other to the point where they all slow down; it would be faster to load them only one (or a couple) at a time.

In response to this, browser makers limited the number of connections which the browser could make at once. The most common number for this limit was four. Tabbed browsing had not yet been invented, and the connections were so slow that this made a lot of sense.

Safari, as it turns out, also does this. That is what you are seeing as being "non-threaded"; it is threaded, but Safari is only keeping four connections open at once. I would wager that the first site in your example is very image-heavy, and since you started downloading that page first it gets priority when Safari decides who gets more of the connections.

By the way, in the late days of HTTP 1.0 a feature called "keep-alive" was proposed, which allowed multiple objects (files, images, etc) to be downloaded over a single connection. This feature was rolled into HTTP 1.1, and it really does help. There is a problem, however: not all servers and browsers support it. Safari does, but if the server doesn't then it does not matter; the site will still have to use a separate connection for each image.
Still no 'Offline Mode' to browse cache when no network is available... like when your on a 15 hour plane journey :-(
Why would you want to do that anyway? The cache is by definition full of stuff you've seen before.
Still no control of JavaScripts, mainly to prevent scripts from moving windows and resizing them. Why does this behavior obviously not p!ss anyone else off?

Still not preference setting to 'Create New Tab' for links that 'Open in New Windows'. I shouldn't have to be constantly looking at the status bar when hovering the cursor over every damned link to check that the link will open in a new window thus forcing me to 'Command Click' the link to get it to open in a new Tab instead. Even so this does not always work since many pages seem to have some stupid scrolling text in the status bar an this masks completely the actual content of the link the cursor is hovering over and thus u can't see if the link will open a new window in the first place.
Safari was not meant to be a browser for power-users. It's supposed to be a basic browser that gets the job done, while leaving the power-user market to other browsers. I suggest you talk to the OmniWeb or Shiira folks.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by cpac:

I'm hoping that this means you can publish more than one calendar to a single web page. Not being able to do that is a pain. I've got different calendars for each of my employees, but I can't put the combined calendars on a single web site w/o 3rd party tools. Silly.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 11:29 AM

Actually, Safari is threaded. What you're seeing is another issue.

In HTTP 0.9 and HTTP 1.0, everything on the Web had to be downloaded over a separate connection. For example, if you had a page with five images on it, that required five HTTP connections. On slower pipes, such as modems, these tend to interfere with each other to the point where they all slow down; it would be faster to load them only one (or a couple) at a time.

In response to this, browser makers limited the number of connections which the browser could make at once. The most common number for this limit was four. Tabbed browsing had not yet been invented, and the connections were so slow that this made a lot of sense.

Safari, as it turns out, also does this. That is what you are seeing as being "non-threaded"; it is threaded, but Safari is only keeping four connections open at once. I would wager that the first site in your example is very image-heavy, and since you started downloading that page first it gets priority when Safari decides who gets more of the connections.

By the way, in the late days of HTTP 1.0 a feature called "keep-alive" was proposed, which allowed multiple objects (files, images, etc) to be downloaded over a single connection. This feature was rolled into HTTP 1.1, and it really does help. There is a problem, however: not all servers and browsers support it. Safari does, but if the server doesn't then it does not matter; the site will still have to use a separate connection for each image.

Ah nice reply thanks that cleared that up. In my icab browsing days, i do remember preferences to 'keep alive' , 'http pipelining' and also how many connections to be used. Still the easily the most advanced browser iCab...easily!!! Too bad its Carbon and too bad it hasnt been updated for a long time.

Why would you want to do that anyway? The cache is by definition full of stuff you've seen before.
Why would i want to browse offline? Think about ... just a little bit before u post eh!!! The cache is full of stuff that has been 'LOADED' before, but that is not to say it has been viewed by the user. It is much faster to visit the pages u intend to read later on without having to save each page and also name each page. Web archiving is for Long term archiving of pages not short term which cache browsing is. Here is another situation, what happens if u loaded and viewed a page 3 hours ago, then for some reason your ISP has an issue, you are stranded without a connection or the web site suddenly dies, u need to go back to view a page u loaded 3 hours before to look at an image or some other content on the page...u may even decide to download the image to disk.

Another instance, say you are located in Europe on a 56k modem. It is common in Europe to be paying by the minute for the time you are online, it is often better to load a shedload of pages then disconnect then read the pages.

IE and Netscape had Offline Browsing, the help in those apps specifically stated the feature was designed for viewing pages at a later time when there is no connection. Web Archiving was stated to be used for long term page archiving.

Safari was not meant to be a browser for power-users. It's supposed to be a basic browser that gets the job done, while leaving the power-user market to other browsers.
What so only power users get p!ssed off when some dumbassed web site decides to alter the current window so it covers the entire screen and removes the menu bar and the status bar? So that u the user are forced to go and resize the window and position the window back to his/her liking? Thats just silly!!

By your argument, why would Apple offer an advanced feature such as 'Style Sheet' selection? The average user wouldn't even know what a Style Sheet is.

I suggest you talk to the OmniWeb or Shiira folks.
Well no, i like Safari, i want it to include some more functionality so i continue using it and help make it a more useful product for others.

Additionally, i HATE OW!!! Their stupid 'Drawer' concept for Tab browsing is completely illogical and interferes with normal browsing. OW does not offer (and the refuse to LISTEN to my repeated requests) Custom CSS selection. Besides that it doesnt offer AutoComplete for URL's like Safari. So much for a browser designed for so called 'power users' eh.

For my use, Safari is 98% there in terms of design, i like using it so it make more sense to be requesting these features rather than crying for years on end to the deaf developers over at Omni in order to get their POS browser which i think is no where near useable in its current form. U'd think they would actually listen to ppl's suggestions for a commercial product which actually charge for pfft.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 11:29 AM

its about time they added "ask me where to download" instead of downloading directly to the desktop.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
its about time they added "ask me where to download" instead of downloading directly to the desktop.
Control-click, Download linked file as...

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
is it just me or does brushed metal look better in Tiger? it seems lighter.

zachs
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 10:46 PM

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 12:47 AM

quicktime 6.6 has that new controller over fullscreen. on one of the quicktime preferences screenshots there is an "animate to fullscreen" (or something option)
a. i wonder what this animate looks like?
b. does this mean quicktime 6.6 will have fullscreen or is it only for quicktime 6.6 pro?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
quicktime 6.6 has that new controller over fullscreen. on one of the quicktime preferences screenshots there is an "animate to fullscreen" (or something option)
b. does this mean quicktime 6.6 will have fullscreen or is it only for quicktime 6.6 pro?
Maybe its live resizing like VLC does.

I hope the standard version can go full screen, its stupid not be able to.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2004, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Targon:
Ah nice reply thanks that cleared that up. In my icab browsing days, i do remember preferences to 'keep alive' , 'http pipelining' and also how many connections to be used. Still the easily the most advanced browser iCab...easily!!! Too bad its Carbon and too bad it hasnt been updated for a long time.
Being Carbon isn't a valid point against it. Not being updated, though, that's a different story. It really is a shame too; all they really need is support for CSS floats and positioning and they'd be quite nice.
What so only power users get p!ssed off when some dumbassed web site decides to alter the current window so it covers the entire screen and removes the menu bar and the status bar? So that u the user are forced to go and resize the window and position the window back to his/her liking? Thats just silly!!
A site cannot remove the statusbar of existing windows, and cannot remove the menubar at all on Macs. The only way to do that is through popups, and Safari blocks these anyway.

The bit about move/resizing the window is another issue, of course. However, people have not cried out for this to be disabled in the same way they have cried out for popup blocking.
By your argument, why would Apple offer an advanced feature such as 'Style Sheet' selection? The average user wouldn't even know what a Style Sheet is.
Actually, user stylesheet support is mandated in the CSS standard. If you don't support them in some fashion, you're not CSS-compliant, no matter how well you do everything else.

That's why Safari does it: in order to claim standards-compliance, it has to.
Well no, i like Safari, i want it to include some more functionality so i continue using it and help make it a more useful product for others.
Like I said, speak to the Shiira folks. You might find their work interesting.
Additionally, i HATE OW!!! Their stupid 'Drawer' concept for Tab browsing is completely illogical and interferes with normal browsing.
I do agree with you on the drawer bit, actually. It's a nice theory, and well thought out, but bring it to the real world and it just plain doesn't work. It's not even a simple "I don't like it" either; there's an actual explanation, namely the fact that from a user perspective a Web page acts like a mini-application, not a document. That fact is the reason that tabs work so well, because it fits perfectly with the tab UI paradigm. However, they're still looking from the site developer's perspective, and from that viewpoint a Web page certainly is a document, so it would seem to make sense to a developer to use a drawer. From the other side of the fence, though -the vast majority of Web users, who don't make their own pages- that doesn't work.

But again, consider Shiira. It doesn't use a drawer.
For my use, Safari is 98% there in terms of design, i like using it so it make more sense to be requesting these features rather than crying for years on end to the deaf developers over at Omni in order to get their POS browser which i think is no where near useable in its current form. U'd think they would actually listen to ppl's suggestions for a commercial product which actually charge for pfft.
Despite the misguided Drawer paradigm, OmniWeb is by no means a POS browser; there, you're out of line. It's not for you, perhaps, but there are other browsers to consider. Once again, consider Shiira or possibly Firefox.

Here's the site for the Shiira project. Its English isn't great, but the program itself is translated by someone else.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 04:13 PM

I really wish it would be released sooner than "Within a year". All these cool features. I really really want it now!

Anyone know how it's gonna run on an iBook G3? (600MHz with no Quartz Extreme.)

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2004, 10:13 AM

That's a bit of a nuff-nuff question isn't it? To not be forced to re-download the 300kb HTML file you've browsed through 5 minutes ago? To read through an online manual without being online? For 1001 other convenient reasons, perhaps?

I'd certainly welcome that, especially for portable computing.
Computer thez nohhh...

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
There's also animate resizing, i.e. live window resizing

Forum Links
Forum Rules