Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Leaving MBP in the car...

Leaving MBP in the car...
CrazedVW
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2007, 06:29 PM

I'm supposed to chaperone a field trip tomorrow at work (I'm a high school teacher) but I'll have about an hour in the morning to get a couple things done before we leave. The school will be locked up by the time we get back so I'd have t leave it in my car. Is it safe to leave my Macbook Pro in my car for about nine hours while we're gone? It's supposed to be something like 97 degrees here in Virginia tomorrow. I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea but figured I'd check.
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2007, 06:35 PM

My trunk doesn't even come close to getting as hot as the rest of my car when I leave it out in the sun. It should be perfectly fine in the trunk, or even under the seat.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2007, 06:50 PM

Can you park in covered parking? 97 degrees in Richmond gets a wee bit hot.

If you can't park in the shade, then the benefit of one hour's use in the morning is vastly outweighed by possible frying.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2007, 09:40 PM

Put it in a (dry) cooler. Without ice, of course. It will stay cooler in that.

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2007, 10:35 PM

You should be able to store it in high temperatures like that, just make sure you take the battery off. I ran down my old Titanium's battery by leaving it in the car too much.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 8, 2007, 12:24 AM

I leave mine in the car all the time (away from sunlight of course) and it works just fine. Feels a little warm, but thats about it

osiris24x
Jun 8, 2007, 07:01 PM

Your trunk stays far cooler than the rest of your car. I've left my MBP in my bag, in direct sunlight on a hot summer day (by accident) and when I got back to my car, the laptop was actually cool to the touch, inside the bag. The fact that it's metal, definitely helps.

It shouldn't be a problem at all.
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2007, 07:56 PM

the other thing is... is it a safe neighborhood. in which case... no matter the temperature, it might not be a good idea to leave a computer in the car anywhere.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2007, 08:01 PM

Good point about not leaving the battery in a hot car! And, of course, we don't know what model VW we're talking about, it might not have a trunk.

CrazedVW  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2007, 09:14 AM

It's an MKIV GTI hatchback. Not so much a trunk but a covered area in the back. I ultimately decided to leave it home. As it stood I didn't have much of a chance to get anything done yesterday morning anyway. Thanks for the responses though. It's good info to have for the future.
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2007, 10:44 AM

Per Apple: "Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-24° to 45° C)"
This data is from the 15' Glossy MBP page, but it's the same for all of 'em. It should be no problem to let your MBP get that warm. Just make sure you don't move it from the hot to REALLY cold too fast.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

maxhedrum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 12:55 PM

Like photo equipment, leaving computers and electronics in vehicles is not a good idea unless you are very sure of the security.

In my photo retail day I frequently dealt with folks replacing stolen gear. And they usually said that they had planned on being away from the vehicle for just a short time.

Also, on a personal note, once came back to the car after a day at the beach to find the trunk lock missing and trunk forced open. This was in broad daylight in a busy parking lot in town. Figured someone had seen us placing items in the trunk before heading out. Luckily nothing of value was there, but did have to get the car fixed.

I never leave gear in the car, or bags, or anything that looks like it may be of interest.

Forum Links
Forum Rules