Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Better to part out TiBook or repair?

Better to part out TiBook or repair?
MadanKnightRyukendo
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2008, 11:34 PM

I've got an 867 Mhz Titanium PB DVI, and it's in kinda rough shape, especially when it comes to the two halves of the lower case. I'll skip going over exactly what is broken on the case, and just sum it up by saying that it should absolutely be replaced (which I already know is a difficult task). Also, the hard drive is a bit questionable. Like 90% of the time it works just fine, but every so often the whole thing makes a very weird noise, almost like grinding, and it has some issues running. Currently it's running beautifully though.

But, I'm conflicted. I'm pretty confident that, given a solid chunk of time to work on it, and with the right parts (I've found several of each case piece for fairly decent prices on eBay), I could have it looking like new. However, I'm still wondering if I should just take it apart and sell what still works. The screen has some keyboard markings (which is how it was when I got it), but when turned on the screen still runs beautifully with the marks being very barely visible during most uses. Also, the logic board doesn't have any problems that I've seen (unlike my previous iBook), and seems to be in great working shape.

So, would it be worth disassembling the machine to sell the working parts, or try to replace what needs to be replaced? I really want a laptop to take to classes in the fall, and at the moment my budget is far too tight to look at anything new (unless of course I part out the PB and manage to get a fair amount for the parts).

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

shrugs*
Jul 8, 2008, 02:04 PM

Sounds like the pb's treated you well so far, I'd go ahead and fix it. Sounds like, you really only need a new hard drive and some casing replacements. When you eventually do upgrade, a working laptop is worth more than a bunch of old pieces Or it's nice to have one to keep on the family room couch (or head), or even in the car.
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

kretara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2008, 03:12 PM

The Ti's are not that hard to work on. Replacing the optical drive or HD is pretty simple.
I would vote for going ahead and fixing the laptop.
You can find detailed take apart guides at ifixit.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jul 8, 2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by kretara View Post
The Ti's are not that hard to work on. Replacing the optical drive or HD is pretty simple.
I would vote for going ahead and fixing the laptop.
You can find detailed take apart guides at ifixit.
Great website
R.I.P Steve Jobs

MadanKnightRyukendo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2008, 09:24 PM

Yeah, I love ifixit. I used it a while back for opening my old iBook.

I think I'm just gonna go ahead and hunt down the case parts. It should make for something interesting to work on during my free time next week

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 11:18 AM

Both case parts and hard drives should be pretty cheap to find, so yeah. I'd fix it. And you're right, it can make a fun little project. I love working on my PowerBook G3 Wallstreet.

Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 12:24 PM

Well I just ordered the parts. Got the case parts on eBay for about $80. Just gotta get the screwdrivers

Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 09:24 PM

I just got a nice kick in the nuts when I booted the PB, went into Disk Utility and discovered the hard drive was reporting a S.M.A.R.T. status of "Failing" <_<

Anyone know where I can get a cheap copy of OS X (even as old as Panther) and a cheap hard drive?

Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2008, 05:04 PM

Okay, sorry for the triple post, but I wanted to announce that, after roughly two hours of patient, careful, hard work, the case pieces have been swapped out and a new hard drive (though smaller than the old one) has been swapped in. I can't be 100% sure of function right away, as I won't have a set of Tiger discs until Monday (hopefully), but everything seems to be working beautifully

Now, would anyone happen to know the best way to clean the display housing? There's some sticker residue that doesn't want to come off.

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2008, 02:25 PM

Use some electronics cleaner or even Windex. See if you can gently scrape off the residue first - use something plastic, not metal. Whatever you use as a cleaner solution, don't rub too hard.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2008, 09:12 PM

Actually, I was lucky enough to find a bottle of Goo Gone in my room. Simply applied a bit lightly with a towel, let it sit, and now the display is clean as can be

And now, I figured I'd post a few before and after shots....(and yes, I realize I'm missing the "Enter" key. It's been like that, but I've got a replacement on it's way)

Before

And after

Forum Links
Forum Rules