Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Internet sharing between PB and Xbox 360?

Internet sharing between PB and Xbox 360?
MadanKnightRyukendo
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2008, 06:02 PM

I have a wireless adapter on my Titanium DVI PowerBook, and I've got a wire running from the ethernet jack on the PB to the back of my 360. I want to use Internet Sharing so I can connect to Xbox Live, but the Xbox can't seem to get a connection when sharing is turned on, even though the wireless connection is strong and running. I know the cable is good because I just used it for System Link between my Xbox and my stepbrother's Xbox, and I know the PB should still have a good connector because it used to be my primary method of connecting before I got the wireless adapter, so it shouldn't be either of those.

Any ideas of what I could be doing wrong?

EDIT: By the way, I'm running 10.4.11, if that's relevant.
( Last edited by MadanKnightRyukendo; Oct 19, 2008 at 06:09 PM. )

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

ibook_steve
Oct 20, 2008, 01:18 AM

Stupid question: did you enable Internet sharing in the Sharing preferences?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

MadanKnightRyukendo  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2008, 06:23 PM

Yes I did. I made sure that the preferences were set to share the access coming in through my wireless adapter to anything connected via the PB's built in ethernet connection, and then clicked "Start". My Xbox knew that it was connected to something (the "Link" icon in the Network Settings was green, indicating it was), but the console couldn't connect to Xbox Live, and when I'd test the connection on the console, it would recognize that it was connected through a wired connection in the first step, but then it would jump to the second step and it was consistently unable to get an IP address. I had the console set to automatically detect the IP address and all of the other addresses automatically.

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

ibook_steve
Oct 20, 2008, 07:19 PM

Wild guess: since this is an older Powerbook, you may need a crossover cable if you're not going through a hub or switch. I have no idea about the auto-config capabilities of an Xbox, but if both it and the PB don't have auto-sensing on the port (don't recall whether Ti PBs had that or not), they may not be able to communicate without a crossover cable.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. If you have another wired device, like another computer, you could test with that.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

MadanKnightRyukendo  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2008, 08:22 PM

Oh....the crossover cable idea makes sense. I'm betting that's the issue. I'd test the sharing with my Sawtooth but sadly at the moment I am without a working monitor, so that's a no go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules