Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > APP: air sharing

APP: air sharing
edge.it
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2008, 08:04 PM

my friend has been ranting and raving about this program but i really dont get it. someone want to enlighten me?

macpro 2.66 | 4GB | 7 TB
macbook pro 2.4i5 | 4GB | 500GB 7200rpm
technic 1210 M5G

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2008, 08:31 PM

I find Air Sharing to be incredibly useful. Instead of describing it myself, I might direct you first to the description on the developer's site, which I think sums up the features quite well:

Air Sharing

If you want to explore further, you might also find the reviews on the app store offer extra perspective.

Adding to that, I can say that Avatron is working hard on pushing development forward, and can be expected to continue refining the app while adding new and improved features.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2008, 10:31 PM

Rarely used here, but I recommend it for when it is needed.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2008, 09:43 AM

I use it to as a handy way to carry all my network documentation with me.

I also have a few corporate documents... as I'm out and about if someone needs it I can give it to them.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

danangdoc
Oct 24, 2008, 10:39 AM

I guess this works for some people, but I note (not a rant since I got it for free....) that when I display a spreadsheet from Numbers, I can only get the 'thumbnail' view - not full screen as described. I did all the correct settings to allow this - it just doesn't work for me. For my spreadsheets, I'm much happier with the SPREADSHEET app, which was just updated. I can e-mail a file to the PC I have Excel on and open it, but I can't exchange any files with Numbers - yet. U.K. developer says they are working on it and I believe them. I can send / receive a file (in XML format) to my Mini over WiFi though. Just 'sayin....

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by danangdoc View Post
I guess this works for some people, but I note (not a rant since I got it for free....) that when I display a spreadsheet from Numbers, I can only get the 'thumbnail' view - not full screen as described. I did all the correct settings to allow this - it just doesn't work for me.
I'll assume you are using the current Air Sharing version 1.0.2. A sad reality is that the folks at Avatron are still working on fully supporting all variations of iWork documents. To date, the two ways they offer to get the results you seek are not the most obvious or flexible options.

You should be able to view all pages of your spreadsheet from Numbers at full resolution as long as you check "Include preview in document" when you save the file. Another alternative is to "zip" the file before uploading it to Air Sharing. Are you sure you used one of these methods?

danangdoc
Oct 27, 2008, 08:56 AM

Yeah, I did that setting - "INCLUDE PREVIEW IN DOCUMENT", but it simply doesn't work. Again, I'm not complaining, but people need to know before the spend any money on this. I got it for free so this is not a 'whine'. I'm running an Intel mini, latest OS with all the latest updates, etc. No biggy. I think it should be publicized by the author before they sell it though, so buyers know in advance that it doesn't work with Numbers. They are not the only vendor who's software does not support numbers. Like I said, SPREADSHEET doesn't either, but the vendor has stated that they are working on it, and it does work great with Excel. Problem is I only have Excel at work, and have iWork/Numbers on my Mac. I'm sure pending updates will address all these issues. My bitch is that APPLE is not properly checking new APPS out to ensure that they work as advertised. In too many cases, APPS simply don't work at all, and this is inexcuseable.

danangdoc
Oct 30, 2008, 09:50 AM

I got the update from Air Sharing last night, and now (without even turning my Mac on) the spreadsheet that would only display as a thumnail on my iPod Touch now shows the FULL VIEW! Yippee! Can't wait to load a bunch of other files!

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2008, 11:04 AM

My bitch is that APPLE is not properly checking new APPS out to ensure that they work as advertised. In too many cases, APPS simply don't work at all, and this is inexcuseable.
... and half the people around here complain that Apple is doing too much and isn't letting applications out the door quickly enough.

Reading the reviews is generally a good idea and keeps you from buying an application that doesn't even open, though I acknowledge that in your case the problem was so narrow in nature that most reviewers would never know about it.
( Last edited by CorpITGuy; Oct 30, 2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling)
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2008, 11:33 AM

I got the update from Air Sharing last night, and now (without even turning my Mac on) the spreadsheet that would only display as a thumnail on my iPod Touch now shows the FULL VIEW! Yippee! Can't wait to load a bunch of other files!
Well, that's great news.

I happened to find the need to prepare a couple of Numbers documents today. Having just updated to version 1.0.3, I tried saving each with and without the preview. Both displayed just fine. I think I might go the route of saving without preview for now as the files sizes are way smaller. For example, one small file I created today is 132 KB without the preview and 536 KB with the preview.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2008, 11:48 AM

My bitch is that APPLE is not properly checking new APPS out to ensure that they work as advertised. In too many cases, APPS simply don't work at all, and this is inexcuseable.
I think anybody who has downloaded a number of apps from the store can relate to what you write. The store does make available alot of poorly coded apps, pointless apps, and apps that may become great but are published early or before foolproof testing can be performed. At the same time, I don't think we can realistically expect Apple to do thorough testing and give the company's official approval to each and every app that is released. Doing so would demand that they take responsibility for each and every one, almost as if it was their own software. That would certainly demand a lot of resources and staff be committed, and would also stifle the availability of a great many apps that do have potential and would serve an audience well. In the end, Corp IT's advice is a logical way to go for now. I try to read beyond just the app store rviews, looking for other reviews on the 'net, talking with other phone users about their experience, etc. before spending any money on apps.

Without going on and on, I might also point to a post on Avatron's support site within the last day that was written by one apparently cool-headed dude. I think he makes a good point:

http://www.avatron.com/support/read....,3528#msg-3528

Just today, I compared the iPhone, the development for the iPhone, and the AppStore to Mac OS X when it was in its infancy. It took a few years (quite a few) for Mac OS X to become the powerhouse it now is, but with the recent changes in Apple policies, the iPhone can now progress to what Apple has strived for in Leopard in just a few more months.

The iPhone and OS X Mobile still represent an extremely young platform; and the app store has only been online for less than four months. As such, there are still many limitations and as many rough edges that will have to be worked out over time. As well as my iPhone already serves me, and as much fun as I have using it, I also realize the the experience is bound to improve in leaps and bounds over the next months and couple of years. I look forward to watching the platform develop and take some pleasure in imaging how things might look when my two-year subsidized contract is up and I'm looking at the next generation iPhone to replace my current 3G unit. (The product only became available in July here in Japan, so there's still quite a bit of time to wait.)

Bringing this back to Air Sharing, which is what the thread was originally about, I believe the developers are a talented group and that they are committed to make their product a great one. They are also demonstrating a willingness to converse with users as they add desired features, while also ironing out the wrinkles. At the same time, they must struggle with limitations in the system, its memory allocations, the way Apple makes each program work within its own "sandbox"; and surely with expectations and needs of users that go beyond what they imagined when getting into the game. There are folks loading up literally gigabytes of data and expecting a great deal in what the viewer and transfer functions can offer. The developers are pushing forward, making some good progress as they go; and making some mistakes in the process. I look forward to seeing how far they can take the app in the future.
( Last edited by issa; Oct 30, 2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Edited to add amplification and clarification)

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2008, 03:34 PM

AirSharing has its appeal for me because of the way it displays documents. The way it handles PDF's makes it my number 1 app. Since 1.0.2 its usability has been improved, but as issa writes, Avatron has to deal with the limitations set by Apple. I wish Avatron can make a solid application within those set boundaries. I'll keep using it just the same.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

danangdoc
Nov 4, 2008, 11:38 AM

ISSA, I wish to differ with you. You said: "I don't think we can realistically expect Apple to do thorough testing and give the company's official approval to each and every app that is released". In point of fact, that's why they have the APP store so they can control what goes out the door with their name on it. If you bought what turned out to be rotten meat or fruit from a store would you not then hold the store somewhat responsible? Apple makes a HUGE profit on these APPS, and if they make a profit, they have a responsibilty to their customers. It may even turn out that they have a legal responsibility. We'll find out if some crappy app is sprung on unsuspecting customers and a class-action suit follows. Apple is no different than any other corporation in this rewpect. You have to hold their feet to the fire!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2008, 07:51 PM

There's actually another way to keep your files accessible by your iPhone, but it does rely on you having a network connection. Dropbox has an iPhone client that reads files directly from the server. It works well and as I use dropbox pretty much for everything but backup I have access to all my files, all of the time.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Dropbox has an iPhone client that reads files directly from the server. It works well and as I use dropbox pretty much for everything but backup I have access to all my files, all of the time.
I can't find it in the App Store. What's the name of it ?

-t

Cottontail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2008, 08:50 PM

There's nothing in the App Store, but there's a mobile version of the Dropbox website that works pretty well.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2008, 09:47 PM

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Get yourself a dropbox account at getdropbox.com. 2GB accounts are free, so no cost is involved. Download and install the dropbox application, then drop some files into it. Create a folder structure that works for you. I pay for the 50GB dropbox, I have pretty much moved my entire documents folder over.

Got to getdropbox on your iPhone and you'll load the mobile version automatically. Sign in and you'll have access to all the files the iPhone can read, all of the time, for as long as you have network access.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2008, 10:38 PM

Oh, I see. A little app would be really nice though.

-t

Cucucachoo
Nov 22, 2008, 11:43 AM

If your a Mobile Me subscriber try out the free version of MobileFiles. LINK
This app will connect to your iDisk and you can download any file you want to your iPhone. Only problem is that if the file your downloading is not compatible with your phone you wont be able to open it. But it works very well.

I wish they had a way of moving files to other apps. Say like if you wanted to move that .mp4 file to the ipod. I haven't found a file that does that yet.

I have air sharing also and it doesn't work as well for me. In fact i took off the air sharing app and replaced it with MobileFiles. But then again i use my iDisk as a thumb drive replacements.
MacBook 2.16Ghz 13.3" with 4gig Ram 120gb HD
iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" with 1024MB Ram, 80gb HD, Dual-Layer SuperDrive
iBook G3 600mhz 12" with 640MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive and a CD-R/RW-DVD drive Vist me at my blog

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2008, 10:32 AM

An alternative to Air Sharing (if all you need to do is view a document on your iPhone rather than transport it between systems) is ACTPrinter from Houdah Software. It installs a PDF Service which enables you to print anything from your Mac to your iPhone via Bonjour. The file created is a PDF (given that it is a normal print out action) so you can view 'obscure' file types without any issues whatsoever.

http://www.houdah.com/iPhone/index.html

Cold Warrior
Nov 23, 2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
An alternative to Air Sharing (if all you need to do is view a document on your iPhone rather than transport it between systems) is ACTPrinter from Houdah Software. It installs a PDF Service which enables you to print anything from your Mac to your iPhone via Bonjour. The file created is a PDF (given that it is a normal print out action) so you can view 'obscure' file types without any issues whatsoever.

http://www.houdah.com/iPhone/index.html
That's neat. I guess that would also work for the new bar code electronic boarding passes but from an iPod Touch -- check in from a Mac, send it as pdf to the Touch, then pull it up in the security lane.

Forum Links
Forum Rules