Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Could this be my issue? (PB G4 Display Inverter)

Could this be my issue? (PB G4 Display Inverter)
MadanKnightRyukendo
Forum Regular
May 7, 2009, 06:19 PM

Starting in the past day or so, I've been having some issues getting my Titanium PowerBook to boot consistently. It would make the chime, make a few small noises, and then apparently quit before the display would even do anything. This morning before class, I had to try a few times to boot it before it succeeded. Then, in my class I spent at least 20 minutes trying to get it to boot, constantly trying different wall outlets and unplugging the various parts of my power adapter, before I gave up. And then, after like an hour and a half of homework today, the system shut off on me and wouldn't boot again.

I initially assumed it was something faulty in my power adapter (my PB is currently without battery), but after I got home, it shut off on me after only a few minutes booted, so I grabbed my T8 Torx bit and popped off the bottom, and the only obvious thing I could find was a small, blue-and-white cable unplugged somehow. Since it was a while since I replaced the entire case on this PB, I flipped through the Ifixit guide for my PB and discovered that it's the inverter cable for my PB's display.

Now, I can't tell yet if plugging it back in completely solved the problem, but I managed to get it to boot and so far it's been running for maybe ten minutes. Question is, could an unplugged inverter cable allow a PB to sometimes boot for only a limited period, and most of the rest of the time cause the PB to give up on booting?

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

ibook_steve
May 7, 2009, 07:18 PM

It depends. Are you sure the system "shut off" or did just the backlight shut off, giving the impression that the machine went off?

But no, an unplugged inverter should not prevent the machine from booting.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

MadanKnightRyukendo  (op)
Forum Regular
May 7, 2009, 09:23 PM

No, the system completely shuts off (it's started doing it again). I've been using my wireless card as an indicator. The system starts to boot (it chimes and makes a few of the typical sounds it makes whenever it boots normally), then before the screen does anything at all, all sounds stop, the lights on the card shut off, and if I hit the power button again right away, it starts from the beginning. I've opened it up multiple times, but without going so far as to remove the motherboard, I can't find a single other loose cable or connection. It's up and running right now, but there's no telling how long it'll be before it cuts out on me again. I'd go back to thinking it's the power adapter, but naturally I don't have any backups to test that theory.

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

ibook_steve
May 8, 2009, 03:14 AM

Have you tried resetting PRAM and the PMU? Check Apple support for the correct keystrokes.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

MadanKnightRyukendo  (op)
Forum Regular
May 8, 2009, 07:25 AM

Got the PB to boot this morning and found the way to reset the PMU on Apple's site (thankfully for my model it's as simple as removing the keyboard and pushing a button on the Logic Board), so I shut down the PB and did what the site said, but when I tried to boot again, it happened again.

Honestly starting to get frustrated because I just fixed this PB up a year ago, and I really don't have the money to get a new laptop at this point.

Forum Links
Forum Rules