Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hugely impressed yet again at AluBook build quality...

Hugely impressed yet again at AluBook build quality...
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2010, 10:00 AM

I posted a little while ago about how impressed I have been with the 13" Aluminium 2.4 Macbook I bought back in late 2008.

It is the upper end 2.4ghz model, and I have used it daily for the last year and a half for work, home, traveling, you name it. Up to this morning it looked brand new and has easily been the most durable and well built, as well as best performing Mac I have ever bought/used. I have been shocked by the build quality and finish.

Work wise I have been forced to use Windows more and more this last 6 months up to the point I am 90% of the time logged into windows via bootcamp and have been seriously considering a VAIO for my next purchase, as after 20 years of Apple ownership, I finally baulked at the price of a 15" MBP here in France.

Until this morning...

I had the laptop on my lap while sitting on the sofa working. My wife asked me to grab something, so I lay the Macbook next to me, and went to grab the item. The dog jumped on the sofa, and the Macbook fell off onto our stone country tile floor! The Macbook bounced up to table height and came down on the back right corner at a 45 degree angle. :O

My wife's face went white, and I just stared as I had loads of unsaved work and documents on the machine, and only yesterday had said how brand new it looked...

I went over, to find that it was still running, still working, and has merely gained a 1 cm flatted spot on the bottom right corner and a 3mm flat spot on the bottom of the screen!!! I am in shock!!

My Wife just bought a new ASUS and we both said that if the same had happened to that machine, it would have been in bits.

All in all, even if it stretches the finances, I'll be upgrading to another Alu portable if this one finally, ever gives up the ghost!

cms
Senior User
Apr 12, 2010, 12:31 PM

Back. Up. Now.

Please.......!

-Q-
Apr 12, 2010, 12:58 PM

I assume the next step after backing up will be composing a Craig's List ad to find a new home for the dog?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2010, 01:20 PM

They are indeed very tough devices. Short of a ToughBook, I don't think there is any publicly available notebook that is as well-built.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I assume the next step after backing up will be composing a Craig's List ad to find a new home for the dog?
Or make it a family moment and share it in a nice meal

-t

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2010, 03:44 PM

If it wasn't for the dog then he wouldn't have never be sharing this. Dogs are your best friends, they are there for you unconditionally and you, the pet owner do take every possible effort to make them happy and comfortable.

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2010, 06:17 PM

Dogs exist to remind us to appreciate what we have.

Also, what other laptops have a Sudden Motion Sensor that would shut down your hard drive in situations like this? Yet another reason to stick with Apple for your next laptop purchase!
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

-Q-
Apr 14, 2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by himself View Post
Also, what other laptops have a Sudden Motion Sensor that would shut down your hard drive in situations like this?
Actually, Lenovo, Acer and HP all offer similar technology in some of their laptop lines.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2010, 01:08 PM

Nowadays they do.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Actually, Lenovo, Acer and HP all offer similar technology in some of their laptop lines.
And Lenovo's makes the scariest nails-on-chaulkboard sound ever.

-Q-
Apr 14, 2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Nowadays they do.
Actually, looks like IBM pioneered this tech. Earliest reference of it I could find in a shipping computer was a ThinkPad introduced in 2003. References to Apple's implementation list 2005 at the earliest.

Still, doesn't change how frigging useful it is for a laptop that takes a spill.

Forum Links
Forum Rules