Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Problems recovering data with Data Rescue X and Norton UnErase

Problems recovering data with Data Rescue X and Norton UnErase
dpfenninger
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2004, 04:46 PM

My main OS X partition decided to have a major crash the other day...resulting in 99% of the data vanashing. My last backup to an external Firewire drive was 3 months ago, so I've lost everything added to my system since then. I've tried a couple of data recovery methods, but neither has been successful.

Upon scanning the disc with both Norton Disk Doctor and TechTool Pro, the partition apparently has a couple of bad blocks, which were then reported as repaired by Disk Doctor. Both UnErase and Data Rescue X report most of my lost files as recoverable...however, UnErase crashes when trying to recover them, and Data Rescue gives me the following error in the report log:

Block number out-of-range in file:[name of file]

I'm getting increasingly frustrated. Does anyone know a workaround to this? I'd really like to recover most everything that I've lost, but I don't want to spend $$$$$$ sending the drive to a data recovery company.

Please help!!!!

Thanks in advance!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2004, 06:09 PM

Have you also tried DiskWarrior by chance?

dpfenninger  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2004, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Have you also tried DiskWarrior by chance?
Yes, actually DW was the only software that would even begin and complete a repair when the drive first crashed. At first glance, it looked like the drive completely died, but DW managed to build a new directory structure and bring the drive back to life. Too bad it couldn't resurrect most of the files on the drive. But they've got to be still there, as UnErase and Data Rescue are showing most of what I lost.

Any other ideas?

dpfenninger  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2004, 10:48 AM

SOLVED!

I messed around with the Expert menu in Data Rescue X...Allocation Blocks Layout...clicked on "Info Found in MDB/VH" and then "OK." I now have back about 99% of what I lost.

All is well with the world now.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by dpfenninger:
SOLVED!

I messed around with the Expert menu in Data Rescue X...Allocation Blocks Layout...clicked on "Info Found in MDB/VH" and then "OK." I now have back about 99% of what I lost.

All is well with the world now.
Whoa, very cool! Glad everything worked out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules