Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 8A268 In The Wild

8A268 In The Wild (Page 3)
Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by butter71:
anyone running 8a268 or 8a294 as their main system? or do you need to switch back to panther for some reason?
Only idiots run pre-release developer versions of software in a production environment. Especially said software is the OS.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Minch_Yoda:
is this tiger for select ADC members?
connect.apple.com if you forgot where to log in.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2004, 04:23 PM

Not only am I running Tiger as my main system, I also hacked into the local nuclear power plant and installed it on all their computers.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
Not only am I running Tiger as my main system, I also hacked into the local nuclear power plant and installed it on all their computers.
Yeah? Well I hacked into the Pentagon and installed it on their computers!

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 31, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I was thinking something similar, but the more I use Adium, the more I realize it does everything better as a chat application than iChat, except for AV.

Hard decision...
True..

So has anyone with this build have anything to say about using the new iChat with other networks?

Minch_Yoda
Oct 31, 2004, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
connect.apple.com if you forgot where to log in.
yes i remember where to login but anyway my question was is this for both select and premier adc members or is it just for the premier members

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Minch_Yoda:
yes i remember where to login but anyway my question was is this for both select and premier adc members or is it just for the premier members
Why not log on and check? (I'm pretty sure it's for both)

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by dopik:
What is smart folder? how does it work?
This was demoed by S Jobs at WWDC. Know what a Smart Playlist in iTunes is ? Or a Smart Album in iPhoto ? Same idea except that they are for the finder -- criteria based folders that automatically update their contents based on parameters. More like a query view than a proper folder. (eg. File created in the last 7 days, of type picture, who's size > 1mb ... the Smart folder would be a dynamic list of all files that meet these criteria)

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
Misc.
There is a ton of new criteria in the Finder that you can search by.
Exactly what do you mean by this. These are things you can search for in the little search box in a Finder's window?

If so how are integrated into the Finder?

Mike

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by MPMoriarty:
Exactly what do you mean by this. These are things you can search for in the little search box in a Finder's window?

If so how are integrated into the Finder?

Mike
Yes. Just more criteria in addition to Kind, Visibility, Content, etc.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by butter71:
anyone running 8a268 or 8a294 as their main system? or do you need to switch back to panther for some reason?
There are a number of applications (iView Media Pro, DevonThink, etc.) that don't run on some of the beta builds, which would preclude my using it on a daily basis... the developers need time to fully test the apps, so if you use a whole lot of non-Apple software it could be a difficult endeavor

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 01:23 AM

Yes. Just more criteria in addition to Kind, Visibility, Content, etc.
Oh, that's really cool.

Anyway you could show the whole list? Just curious.

Oh and something that I have been asking since Tiger was previewed...

Can you enter stuff in the comments tag in the Finder and then search for that information using SpotLight?

I use the comments tag to store a lot of information about my PDF files and would like to be able to use SpotLight to find information in those tags.

Mike

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 02:02 AM

Yes. Comments are part of the metadata of a file.

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 02:14 AM

That's great news. Seriously. I have been waiting for this since Jaguar.

So if you take a simple PDF file and in its Get Info window add some keywords and then search for those keywords in either the global SpotLight search box or the Finder's search box that it will appear in the results?

Mike

butter71
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
There are a number of applications (iView Media Pro, DevonThink, etc.) that don't run on some of the beta builds, which would preclude my using it on a daily basis... the developers need time to fully test the apps, so if you use a whole lot of non-Apple software it could be a difficult endeavor
if only you could have phrased that in a way that mocked me.

thanks.
( Last edited by butter71; Nov 1, 2004 at 04:16 AM. )

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2004, 06:17 AM

That's great news. Seriously. I have been waiting for this since Jaguar.

So if you take a simple PDF file and in its Get Info window add some keywords and then search for those keywords in either the global SpotLight search box or the Finder's search box that it will appear in the results?

Mike
You can actually search within PDF files, so if your PDF had some text within it, Spotlight can search within it and show you what file its in.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
You can actually search within PDF files, so if your PDF had some text within it, Spotlight can search within it and show you what file its in.
That is very cool, hopefully if you search for a text string with Spotlight and its in a pdf file, preview will open it, navigate to the page and draw a red marker circle around what you are looking for.

Fantastic if you have gigantic .pdf maps on your HD like me.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2004, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Fantastic if you have gigantic .pdf maps on your HD like me.
Spotlight's pdf search capabilities are demonstrated in this Apple QT movie where the search string 'Yosemite' returns a pdf document with a map of the Yosemite area.

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 09:50 AM

someone told me that some tiger apps run under panther. I think they were DVD player, stickies and calculator. Anyone tested this?

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Spotlight's pdf search capabilities are demonstrated in this Apple QT movie where the search string 'Yosemite' returns a pdf document with a map of the Yosemite area.
too bad it doesn't have an ORC built-in (and I know this would be absurd to request), but I have pdfs that have text in them, but are embedded as graphics and not text information. Articles downloaded from old newspaper archives.

Although, everyone I showed that little movie to were impressed with its ability to go into the file and find that.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
too bad it doesn't have an ORC built-in
They've got to save something for "Lion" or whatever the next major release is going to be...

System level OCR would be fabulous.
cpac

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
Why not log on and check? (I'm pretty sure it's for both)
That was my advice, I guess it is easier to post the question here and wait for an answer instead of logging in. But as a select, I can see it!

dawho9
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 01:18 PM

Beats me...seems like that'd be a much better idea.
I see if being useful if you have ten folders in Documents and wish to burn 5 out of 10 files in each of the folders on a semi-regular basis.

Basically, a poor man's backup system.

dw9

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 1, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by dawho9:
I see if being useful if you have ten folders in Documents and wish to burn 5 out of 10 files in each of the folders on a semi-regular basis.

Basically, a poor man's backup system.

dw9
Frankly I think the burnable folder idea is stupid. All folders should be burnable...including smart folders. Why introduce a new type of folder?

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Frankly I think the burnable folder idea is stupid. All folders should be burnable...including smart folders. Why introduce a new type of folder?
You decide which is more stupid: having the OS copy an already existing piece of data on your HD to burn it on a CD/DVD, or having Burnable Folders and do the same job with just aliases to the original data, a la Toast.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Musti:
You decide which is more stupid: having the OS copy an already existing piece of data on your HD to burn it on a CD/DVD, or having Burnable Folders and do the same job with just aliases to the original data, a la Toast.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2004, 03:20 PM

What happens in Toast if you modify a file while it's burning? I prefer the Toast way too, but Apple probably thought about that and decided for the average Joe User, it would be easier to just copy it so the burning software can depend on the data not being changed while burning. Perhaps a better way would simply be to make files "busy" while burning, just like while copying, but then you have "busy" files for longer periods of time since copying to another place on the HD is faster than burning it.

I'm not making an argument, just sharing thoughts.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 1, 2004, 03:23 PM

That's simply because Apple currently has a broken implementation that makes everything look good next to it. The Burnable Folders look lightyears ahead of what we have now...but is still a very inelegant solution.

So to answer your question: they're both equally stupid with different criterias to describe their stupidness.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2004, 04:52 PM

What Horsepoo!!! was suggesting was not that we should stick with the disk image implementation but that every folder be burnable, so that the implementation would still be the same as Burnable Folders, just not limited to folders that were designated as burnable. You could then just pick any folder with files in it and burn it.

Frankly, I agree.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Deestar
Nov 1, 2004, 05:10 PM

The solution is that the files that you are currently burring through the finder should temporary become READ only to the system, it would not then be possible to move/write over the file(s) with another app.

Where there's a will
there's a way..

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 10:33 PM

Not only that, but open up a PDF, text-annotate it, close it. Now search for any text that annotation contains, voila! Here's the PDF that you annotated.

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 10:52 PM

Well, one thing I usually put in my comments tag is the author and sometimes even the person who sent me the file. This data isn't always in the actual file itself.

Mike

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 10:53 PM

So how does the burnable folder feature work exactly. I am confused.

Do you create the folder and then drag files to it?

zachs
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 11:05 PM

So how does the burnable folder feature work exactly. I am confused.

Do you create the folder and then drag files to it?
Yes. You can put aliases to files in it. You can directly burn the whole folder, and it'll burn the actual files.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2004, 11:42 PM

Do burnable folders support multi-session burning?

Just curious.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Do burnable folders support multi-session burning?

Just curious.
I seriously doubt it.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

simifilm
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 06:21 AM

I heard that this build offers much improved OpenType support, any details about this?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by simifilm:
I heard that this build offers much improved OpenType support, any details about this?
No idea, but the font subsystem seems to be in the process of some change.
With the current build you can't add any custom fonts at all.

An Alias
Forum Regular
Location: NOT in The People's Theocratic Republic of Homophobia
Nov 2, 2004, 12:49 PM

What kinda annoys me about the latest ADC release, is that the spotlight icon keeps pulsating, on and on and on...

Distracting at first, but I guess I'm sort of not paying much attention to it as the day goes on, but not sure how others would feel.
Who, or what actually won the US election? Intolerance. The Bush campaign was built around pushing God down people's throats; attacking Gays; and more Guns for the idiotic. Gays, Guns & God. Congratulations, you just participated in one big joke.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 01:48 PM

Yeah? Well I hacked into the Pentagon and installed it on their computers!
Yeah? Well I hacked into George Bush and installed Windows on him!

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by An Alias:
What kinda annoys me about the latest ADC release, is that the spotlight icon keeps pulsating, on and on and on...

Distracting at first, but I guess I'm sort of not paying much attention to it as the day goes on, but not sure how others would feel.
Pulsates? You mean, when you initiate a Spotlight search, or all the time?

Busemann
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
Pulsates? You mean, when you initiate a Spotlight search, or all the time?
Probably only during indexing, I can hardly believe they would make a pulsating icon which is on all the time..

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
Probably only during indexing, I can hardly believe they would make a pulsating icon which is on all the time..
That would certainly make sense (I can hardly believe it either). Is this true?

Also, macosxrumors reports that for 8A294 the Apple menu is graphite instead of blue. For any 8A294 testers... so both Apple + Spotlight are graphite? Or just the Apple menu... one side graphite, the other side that intense blue?

An Alias
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 03:20 PM

Well, initially I thought it was constant, after installing 294 the spotlight icon pulsated right away, then it kept going. Now, I think it probably has to do wih indexing your volumes, but I'm not sire since my indexing is onl;y up to 40% so far, and pulsating away.

After watching it, I'm more inclined to think that it is for indexing. Also, the pulsating thing is there whether or not you use Spotlight.

Got to say though, the actual graphic is nicer now, looks more moulded into the graphite background.
Who, or what actually won the US election? Intolerance. The Bush campaign was built around pushing God down people's throats; attacking Gays; and more Guns for the idiotic. Gays, Guns & God. Congratulations, you just participated in one big joke.

An Alias
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 03:21 PM

That would certainly make sense (I can hardly believe it either). Is this true?

Also, macosxrumors reports that for 8A294 the Apple menu is graphite instead of blue. For any 8A294 testers... so both Apple + Spotlight are graphite? Or just the Apple menu... one side graphite, the other side that intense blue?
Both graphite, which kinda threw me at first, thinking that Apple defaulted to that instead of Blue. But, Blue is the default for everything else, and the two top corners are graphite.

An Alias
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 03:23 PM

I think so, but indexing takes quite a while with several volumes full of data. It's an ok visual indicator, but very in your face.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 03:26 PM

Both graphite, which kinda threw me at first, thinking that Apple defaulted to that instead of Blue. But, Blue is the default for everything else, and the two top corners are graphite.
Interesting compromise.

Blinking while indexing would totally make sense.... (a) it attracts attention for new, less savvy Tiger users, and (b) it (duh) tells you Spotlight is indexing.

Could we get a picture of the engraved Spotlight icon, maybe?

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 03:28 PM

well it's good to hear they haven't settled on how these corners will look. I was not a fan of the blue end-caps, though I do think some sort of distinction from the rest of the menu bar is appropriate
cpac

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 03:34 PM

MacOSXRumors posted:
TextEdit has been improved a lot in Tiger, this new version (1.4), allows editing of document properties, adding or editing of tables, spacing, lists, links and other things. Other features like printing page numbers are also available. Considering TextEdit has had .doc file format support since version 1.3, Apple could easily rename this piece of software �iWord�
Any word on whether you can finally set document margins smaller than 1"?

If there's page numbering, does that mean we have headers and footers as well?

With all the extra options - how's the interface? Clunky yet?
cpac

An Alias
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 04:28 PM

Interesting compromise.

Blinking while indexing would totally make sense.... (a) it attracts attention for new, less savvy Tiger users, and (b) it (duh) tells you Spotlight is indexing.

Could we get a picture of the engraved Spotlight icon, maybe?
Sure, only thing is, I haven't got any webspace to put it up on. Can I email you it so you can have a look?

Forum Links
Forum Rules