Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > best mp3 converters

best mp3 converters
general
Oct 25, 2000, 08:11 PM

Was wondering what are a few of the best programs for converting MP3's to AIFF files? I have been using SoundApp PPC and MPecker drop decoder 1.6. All the disks i burn from converted MP3's are scratchy or the volume fluctuates. I am using a QPS 12-10-32 Firewire drive and Toast 4.1.1 I've even tried burning at 2x speed with little or no improvement in sound quality. Any comments or help greatly appreciated.
Thanks alot,
Greg

------------------
iMac therefore i am

noliv
Senior User
Oct 26, 2000, 04:48 AM

hear the aiff files you make with soundapp: so you can determine if the converter is responsible of the bad quality or if it's the QPS.
they are probably good (not-scratchy)
however, the volume fluctuation can be caused by the ones who had encoded your mp3 files.

i dont know which version of toast can decode mp3 and burn it directly but maybe it's the version 4... give it a try.

i cant help you very much... sorry
-noliv

Misha
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2000, 07:47 AM

Toast 4 and Jam 2.6 can both auto-decode MP3->AAIF when burning.

I used to use Drop Decoder but have been using SoundJam ever since it came out without a hithc. Of course, if you don't own (or want to own) SoundJam that's a problem. N2MP3 can also do it, and they have the best MP3 encoder too... just click on the banner at the top!

general
Oct 26, 2000, 09:26 PM

Thanks alot for the responses. I had read before that you had to convert to aiff files to make audio discs. I geuss I've been messing around with converting MP3's to aiff for nothing. Toast does a great job and the tracks come out alot better. At least I got some cool converters out of my stupidity.

Tanks again,
Greg

------------------
iMac therefore i am

netguy10960
Nov 14, 2000, 01:21 PM

Greg how do you like that burner overall? Any tips/tricks I should know about?

I am getting one today....thanks.

Originally posted by general:
Was wondering what are a few of the best programs for converting MP3's to AIFF files? I have been using SoundApp PPC and MPecker drop decoder 1.6. All the disks i burn from converted MP3's are scratchy or the volume fluctuates. I am using a QPS 12-10-32 Firewire drive and Toast 4.1.1 I've even tried burning at 2x speed with little or no improvement in sound quality. Any comments or help greatly appreciated.
Thanks alot,
Greg

general
Nov 14, 2000, 09:17 PM

I like the Que alot. About the only tip i can give is to listen to the mp3's before making an audio cd. Alot of them are pretty low quality or end short of the full song. Sure nice for backing up big files and games like unreal tournament that you have updated alot and would hate to lose. Enjoy your new burner!
Greg

------------------
iMac therefore i am

Forum Links
Forum Rules