Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Question from a newbie

Question from a newbie
NitzJaaron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2003, 11:09 AM

Good morning,

I'm switching from a PC to a new g3 900 12.1" iBook, and I've got a few questions. I already asked a bunch in the web developer forum (as I'm a web developer and had specific questions related to it), and hopefully this is the right forum for my other questions.

First off, Microsoft has Windows Update for software packages. I was wondering what apple has for such things? I may be wrong, but I heard that's part of what .Mac is. Is this true, or is there a way to get free patches/updates?

Secondly, what are the best firewall programs for the Mac? Free and otherwise.

Finally, what other things should I know/buy to make my transition from the PC world to the Mac world as painless as possible.

-Nitz

P.S. I'm very experienced with PC's, and have light experience with Mac's, so I'm not a total newb. Just close. ;-)

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2003, 11:18 AM

On the Mac, updates from Apple are delivered via a System Preference called Software Update. Go to System Preferences in Applications and start that program. You will see a bunch of programs. Select Software Update. Your Mac will contact Apple via the internet to see if there are any new updates.

You can have Software Update install the updates for you. Or you can download them to your Mac and install them yourself. Some people prefer the latter so that they can retain a copy of the download and/or verify that the download has the right checksum. See:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75510
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2003, 11:25 AM

For your info ..
Guide to Switching ...
http://www.apple.com/switch/howto/

Troubleshooting Sites ..

Apple Panther Support
http://www.info.apple.com/usen/panther/

Common Panther Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html

Regular Maintenance ..

Macaroni ... just set it and forget it.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9633
Macaroni is a tool which handles regular maintenance for Mac OS X's Unix core. Normally these tasks run on a regular schedule, in the middle of the night. However if you don't leave your Mac on all night, they never run. Your Mac won't wake from sleep to handle this. Macaroni solves this problem. If a scheduled maintenance task is not run when it's normally scheduled, Macaroni automatically ensures that it's run at the next opportunity, whenever the Mac is on. Repairs permissions also, on a weekly basis.

Great site for mac software and reviews ..
www.macupdate.com

You may also access the system prefs under the apple menu or the dock .. at least in Jaguar anyway.

Welcom to the Mac community!
( Last edited by bergy; Dec 26, 2003 at 11:40 AM. )
Tiger 10.4.8

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2003, 11:47 AM

In other words:

Software Update:
System Preferences -> Software Update

Firewall:
System Preferences -> Sharing
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

NitzJaaron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2003, 11:56 AM

Man, y'all are quick! Thanks for everything so far!

-Nitz

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2003, 12:04 PM

i just use the stock software. software update can also be fond in the apple menu if you have panther.

one note about the updater- it only updates apple branded software. check www.versiontracker.com or www.macupdate.com for the rest of the updates.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 06:57 PM

The built-in Firewall (under the Sharing icon in System Preferences) seems pretty comprehensive, although I am not overly knowledgeable about it.

There also is/used-to-be? an app out there for freeware (?) called "Brickhouse" that seemed to be a quite good firewall... I don't know if it is still available or still needed, but check Version tracker and perhaps someone else can weigh in on this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules