Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which memory for new iBook

Which memory for new iBook
AdvocateUK
Oct 22, 2004, 07:21 AM

Hi all,

I've ordered a new iBook (12" 1.2Ghz) for my Fiance and was wondering which memory I should order. If I use Crucials memory matching stuff on it's site it gives me the option of a 512meg sodimm PC2100 for �90.

If I go to Dabs' website though I can get a crucial 512 meg 200 pin PC2100 sodimm for �62, although it is from their "Value Select" line.

I'm confused, should I go for the matched memory or will the cheaper crucial sodimm be ok?

TIA

Alistair

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2004, 07:51 AM

Always check Apple's website for specs: http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html Still, memory can be confusing.

You need a PC2100 (or faster) DDR SDRAM SO-DIMM. Both of the pieces you mentioned seem to be the same. I'd go with the cheaper one.

Chris

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2004, 08:47 AM

I would order from www.newwgg.com

They have a mac section which further has memory. Any PC2100 or PC2700 DDR So-DIMM should work fine (in the mac section of course). I think my 1gb stick is kingmax or something. It was only $193.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2004, 09:31 AM

pc2100 or pc2700 (as long as it's 200 pin ddr-sdram)

AdvocateUK  (op)
Oct 22, 2004, 10:43 AM

Thanks for all your replies guys. I think I've more or less decided to go for the cheapest brand memory I can find which happens to be Corsair value select from www.scan.co.uk for about �58.

I hope she likes the iBook, bought it on a whim because I couldn't think of anything else that would "go with" the iPod mini I've bought her

Kissargi
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2004, 12:06 PM

if things dont go well with your Fiance, can i marry you? lol

Forum Links
Forum Rules