Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is it possible to restore an overwritten file?

Is it possible to restore an overwritten file?
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2010, 10:09 PM

I just resized an image by mistake.

It was the original. I was tired and forgot to make a copy before I ran the resize action.

It's a TIFF file, 16bit. And it used to be ProPhoto RGB, no it's 8bit sRGB.

Now all I have is a 600x900 file, not large enough for a print. Turns out it's one of the crucial images of my next portfolio.

Is there any way to restore this file? To "unresize" it?

PS: I have two back-up copies, who were both overwritten as well during my back-up process.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 4, 2010, 10:41 PM

If you have Time Machine backups, just go back to before the resize. If that's not an option, most apps save files by completely saving the new one, then wiping the old. So a file recovery app (like Data Rescue) might be able to find the original, provided you do nothing with the disk in the meantime.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2010, 11:28 PM

I haven't set up time machine.

Regarding the other option: if I have used that disk to back up other images, the original, large file might have been completely destroyed by overwriting it again?

reader50
Administrator
Aug 4, 2010, 11:36 PM

Very possibly.

Where did the original file come from? A camera flash card, perhaps? If so, and you haven't reused the card yet, there are recovery utilities for such cards.

Was the file ever passed via a USB flash drive?

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2010, 11:40 PM

No, it's a file that has been edited extensively in Photoshop.

I threw away the layered file (400 Mb), but kept the flattened file (57Mb).

I still have that image, but in 600x900. I read that Data Rescue looks for images by content, thus using algorithms. So, having a smaller sample of the exact same file - shouldn't this help me find the file if it's still there.

One of the back-up discs has about 100 Gb available. I'd start there with my search.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2010, 11:46 PM

By the way: it looks like when you want to save a deleted file from you main hard drive that you need a boot DVD.

If I looked for that file on an external hard drive I should be able to do without that boot DVD. Is this correct?

reader50
Administrator
Aug 5, 2010, 12:59 AM

You need to stop using any drive the big file was on. Including your boot drive, if it was there. So to maximize chances of recovery, you can:

Boot from a data recovery DVD.

- or -

Disconnect all drives that might have the file. Boot from an alternate partition or drive. Don't have one? Plug in a fresh hard drive, boot from the OS Install DVD, and create a bootable HD, with recovery software. Then set your Mac to boot from the new drive. Turn Spotlight indexing OFF. Reconnect the other drives, boot up, begin recovery scans. To be really safe, reconnect ONE possible drive at a time and work on that. If you don't get the file, disconnect that possible drive, and connect the next possible drive.

You really need to stop using any HD the file might be on. It could be overwritten at any time if you don't.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2010, 04:26 AM

Thanks for the tips.

My best chance are with the external hard drive. So I'd be loading the Recovery software on my main drive and go from there to the external hard drive?

OreoCookie
Aug 5, 2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
PS: I have two back-up copies, who were both overwritten as well during my back-up process.
Let me guess: you're cloning your harddrive as a `backup'?
Even though this may not help you get your files back now, how about switching to a proper backup solutions so that you have several versions of your files available? Time Machine is easy to setup and allows you to restore earlier versions of files.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Let me guess: you're cloning your harddrive as a `backup'?
Even though this may not help you get your files back now, how about switching to a proper backup solutions so that you have several versions of your files available? Time Machine is easy to setup and allows you to restore earlier versions of files.
No, I have long stopped doing this. I do it manually. Whenever I have new files, I copy the folders on two back-up hard drives.

Yes, Time Machine would be nice. But for this I'll need a bigger boat... drive.

It's actually the first time that I ever needed a file that I lost. I thought I was in a different folder and this is how I resized the original before making a copy.

I'll get myself one of those big 2 TB external drives... I just wish I had a Mac Pro. The cramped hard drive space in iMacs and the reliance on external drives bothers is bothering.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2010, 12:56 PM

I'll do the rescue attempt tonight. See where it gets me.

I also emailed three people who got this file in a large JPEG from me, but I don't count on any results. The shoot was a while back.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2010, 09:46 PM

I used the demo version, and it shows me a few files of the size I was missing. No idea if it's the one.

Demo only allows recovery of one file larger than 10 Mb. So it's pointless. And I don't think I'm shelling out $100 to recover one image that's probably not there anyway, because I deleted dozens of images of that size and only six are showing.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 6, 2010, 12:21 AM

I was under the impression the DR demo would allow one file recovery per session.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2010, 01:39 PM

What kills it is the file size maximum. 10 Mb is a joke. I don't have files this small.

(If I lose a JPEG I just go back to the original file. It's the loss of an original file that would cause me to use recovery software).

In this case, I let the file go. Four hours plus of work, but I'm shooting all the time and will get other pictures that replace it.

OreoCookie
Aug 7, 2010, 08:10 AM

Well, it's a demo after all, it's quite obvious they want to motivate people to buy the app. I can just recommend Data Rescue, it's a much, much better investment than Disk Warrior in my opinion. I've also used it to recover images from broken memory cards and such.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2010, 11:44 PM

Maybe in the future.

The "deleted files scan" only got my six files that were about the size of the image erased (57.5 Mb, Data Rescue reported 6 TIFF files found at 60 Mb). That's too small a chance one of these would be the one I needed.

So, for now, I'm just letting the image go.

I'd rather invest my money in an additional external hard drive. The problem arose because I erased the layered file, and only kept the flattened file to save hard drive space.

So I'm getting myself more hard drive space. I'm getting a 1 Tb G-Tech from B&H. $165.

But I'll keep Data Rescue 3 in my mind.

PS: I just mistyped "Date Rescue 3". Now that would be an application I'd buy on the spot!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2010, 04:37 AM

Maybe in the future.

The "deleted files scan" only got my six files that were about the size of the image erased (57.5 Mb, Data Rescue reported 6 TIFF files found at 60 Mb). That's too small a chance one of these would be the one I needed.

I'd rather invest my money in an additional external hard drive. The problem arose because I erased the layered file, and only kept the flattened file to save hard drive space.

So I'm getting myself more hard drive space. I'm getting a 1 Tb G-Tech from B&H. $165.

PS: I just mistyped "Date Rescue 3". Now that would be an application I'd buy on the spot!
I normally don't shout but:

START USING TIME MACHINE NOW!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 9, 2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Well, it's a demo after all, it's quite obvious they want to motivate people to buy the app. I can just recommend Data Rescue, it's a much, much better investment than Disk Warrior in my opinion. I've also used it to recover images from broken memory cards and such.
But that’s comparing apples and oranges. DiskWarrior’s not really a recovery app, and Data Rescue’s not a disk repair app. They each have their places, which are very complementary.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2010, 05:56 PM

Maybe in the future.

If you care to try, PhotoRec - CGSecurity

It's free and will do exactly what you want.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2010, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
If you care to try, PhotoRec - CGSecurity

It's free and will do exactly what you want.
I'll take this tip for next time.

For now, I have already used the external hard drive. a lot, so it'll be heavily overwritten by now.

One thing I did: I ordered another external hard drive, 1 TB. If I hadn't erased the layered file to save space, this all wouldn't have happened.

The recent shoots went so well I'll have even better images than the one lost.

But the ability of your software recommendation could come in handy in case of a CF card problem - which I hope will never happen. I treat these things like raw eggs or highly valuable stamps.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2010, 04:21 PM

I got one of the missing files back from a model I sent it to.

It's only an 8-bit JPEG, but at 6.5 Mb it's full resolution and it was done using minimum compression (Quality level 12).

I have hopes I can get the other file from still another model who seems to have the full resolution file, too.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 18, 2010, 04:52 PM

You know a lot of models. I'm getting the feeling we should envy your job. And arrange an accident soon so it will become available.

Forum Links
Forum Rules