Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > XP <---> 10.3 via switch

XP <---> 10.3 via switch
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2004, 06:58 AM

I did a search for this and found something that I think might be useful, but I'm not sure, so I'll ask anyway

Yesterday, a friend of mine brought over her iBook running 10.3 (not sure which 1.3), because we were going to transer a lot of images from my computer to hers (I'm running XP on mine).

I have a switch here, which I figured would be the easiest way to set the two computers up on a local network, since it used to work with my former flatmate (who was also running XP).

However, it didn't really seem to. I tried a lot of things on the Mac, and somehow at last I at least made it recognise that the switch was plugged in (it kept going in and out - not sure if it's the cable that's broken or some wrong setting on the Mac).

I set up a local network on my computer (XP), and it actually managed to see the other computer. But I think I did something wrong, after what I just read in my search. I named my network "Hjemme" [home], just to give it some name. But after I'd done that, my computer was the only one to show up in that network. Instead, hers showed up under Workgroup. Okay, fine by me, I'll just 'enter' her computer under Workgroup instead. Not.

For some reason, it asked me for a username and password when I did that, and I have no idea why, or what it expects me to enter? Is this because my computer was in another network than hers?

Also, on her Mac, the network Hjemme did show up. But it was empty, no computers in it. We could see her under Workgroup on the Mac as well, but clicking on it gave us a warning that the alias could not be opened because there was no original (or something like that). Does this mean her computer can't find itself?

As you can see, I'm kind of a newbie at networking (and OSX for that matter). We're planning on trying it again some time, but I thought I'd ask you gurus in here first, since you're bound to know what I did wrong (I hope).

Help?

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 09:25 AM

For a share on your XP machine to be accessible from the Mac, they must both be in the same workgroup. When you connect from the Mac, you may need to type in the IP address of the XP box as network browsing in Panther is still flaky. Then use whatever password you set up when you designated the share on XP.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Macola:
For a share on your XP machine to be accessible from the Mac, they must both be in the same workgroup. When you connect from the Mac, you may need to type in the IP address of the XP box as network browsing in Panther is still flaky. Then use whatever password you set up when you designated the share on XP.
Okay, I'll try with both of them in the same workgroup next time (dumb of me not to think of that yesterday)... thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules