Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 Cube - dreaded power cycle problem

G4 Cube - dreaded power cycle problem
Mutant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2002, 08:36 AM

Hey

I've got a G4 Cube thats just yesterday developed the dreaed power cycle problem; that's where the machine cycles on / off on it's own.

I recall reading about this perhaps one year ago, but a google search this AM didn't bring up any details.

Does anyone have suggestions on resolving this, short of sending it off for repair? I've recently been "made redundant", and while I'm not short on cash would rather not spend money if possible.

I've reseated the video and power adaptor cards (from what I remember, this was suggested before), and the box seems stable now but is there a more permanent fix? Anyone else had this problem and resolved it themselves?

Also what do you folks know about the gasket surronding the power switch on the MB? Mine is a little odd, in that its not complete - in other words, there is a small gap - its not a complete circle.

Thanks for any suggestions
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2002, 02:29 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mutant:
<strong>Hey

I've got a G4 Cube thats just yesterday developed the dreaed power cycle problem; that's where the machine cycles on / off on it's own.

I recall reading about this perhaps one year ago, but a google search this AM didn't bring up any details.

Does anyone have suggestions on resolving this, short of sending it off for repair? I've recently been "made redundant", and while I'm not short on cash would rather not spend money if possible.

I've reseated the video and power adaptor cards (from what I remember, this was suggested before), and the box seems stable now but is there a more permanent fix? Anyone else had this problem and resolved it themselves?

Also what do you folks know about the gasket surronding the power switch on the MB? Mine is a little odd, in that its not complete - in other words, there is a small gap - its not a complete circle.

Thanks for any suggestions</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">restarting the power adapter is the only fix i know of.. it fixed mine.

Dr. No
Jul 20, 2002, 03:24 PM

Hi!

It was the power gasket rubber ring in my Cube's case..I'd replace it (cheap fix) and see if that solves the problem.

Good luck!

D.

<small>[ 07-20-2002, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Dr. No ]</small>

joe
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2002, 07:09 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mutant:
<strong>Hey

Does anyone have suggestions on resolving this, short of sending it off for repair?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Cut out of piece of paper the same size as the gasket (or slightly larger). Ink jet photo paper is too thick and will prevent the touch switch from working. If you use paper that is too thin, it will lhave no effect. HP bright white works best for me. It's not too thick or too thin.

I've sent my Cube back to Apple for this same power cycling problem twice. Each time they fix it, it works for a month or so and then starts power cycling again. So far the only thing that seems to work is this "paper trick." But in your case, with the Cube's switch gasket showing a gap, you might want to contact Apple and get a replacement gasket. Even so, you will still want to do the "paper trick" mentioned above. Otherwise, the power cycling will return........joe

Ricci Adams
Jul 20, 2002, 09:28 PM

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does the power gasket do? I can't seem to find mine, and I recall a circular rubber piece falling out of my Cube the first time I opened it up.

Mutant  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2002, 06:56 PM

Hey thanks for the reply - but let me be sure I understand what you've done.

Cut a piece of paper and fix it over the power switch - light and all, correct? On the motherboard / chassis, or on the inside of the case?

I certainly will try both - I'll just be glad ot be rid of this problem, without having to pay Apple to fix it. In terms of the gasket problem, does Apple charge for replacements? I guess I can call them, but does anyone know before I try?

I bought the machine used and it was ok for a few months, then I hadn't used it since last December, so its out of all *reasonable* warranties (i.e. Apples is long gone, and I Gold Card covers only twelve months). It was a used machine, but overall I'm quite happy with it.

Thanks again for your help!

Take care

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by joe:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mutant:
<strong>Hey

Does anyone have suggestions on resolving this, short of sending it off for repair?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Cut out of piece of paper the same size as the gasket (or slightly larger). Ink jet photo paper is too thick and will prevent the touch switch from working. If you use paper that is too thin, it will lhave no effect. HP bright white works best for me. It's not too thick or too thin.

I've sent my Cube back to Apple for this same power cycling problem twice. Each time they fix it, it works for a month or so and then starts power cycling again. So far the only thing that seems to work is this "paper trick." But in your case, with the Cube's switch gasket showing a gap, you might want to contact Apple and get a replacement gasket. Even so, you will still want to do the "paper trick" mentioned above. Otherwise, the power cycling will return........joe</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

joe
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2002, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Mutant:
Hey thanks for the reply - but let me be sure I understand what you've done.

Cut a piece of paper and fix it over the power switch - light and all, correct? On the motherboard / chassis, or on the inside of the case?

Just on the inside of the case where the gasket is located. Don't put any paper (or tape) on the outside of the Cube. Pull out the core and look down inside the Cube's outter shell. You'll see the round gasket (a sort of brown fabric ring) at the underside of the top cover. Cut a round piece of paper about the same size (or slightly larger). Place it over the gasket and insert the core. Tape is not needed and probably should not be used because it will melt from the heat. The paper will be clamped in place when you latch the core.

I believe the Cube's touch switch is a capacitance type switch. But heat and wear on the gasket causes the switch to become overly-sensitive - which in turns causes the Cube to turn off and on. The paper helps to desensitize the switch and eliminate the power cycling.

I bought the machine used and it was ok for a few months, then I hadn't used it since last December, so its out of all *reasonable* warranties (i.e. Apples is long gone, and I Gold Card covers only twelve months). It was a used machine, but overall I'm quite happy with it.

I had the same experience - I bought my Cube used except it had a 3 year AppleCare extended warranty. So I sent it back to Apple SEVERAL times to get the problem fixed. But the damn power cycling problem would always come back after a few weeks. I sent it back at least 3 times under warranty. Somewhere along the way I'd read about the "paper trick" from another Cube owner. So I tried it - and the power cycling problem hasn't returned since!!! The paper thickness is important though. Very heavy paper will cause the switch not to work at all - not really a problem if you have an ADC monitor. If the paper is too thin, you will still have power cycling problems. HP bright white is just right from my experience. If you don't have any, a standard ink jet paper (non-photo) should do the trick.

BTW, I voided the AppleCare warranty when I hacked in a dual 500 processor card (Sonnet), 80mm cooling fan, 100gig hard drive (WD Jumbo buffer), and OEM GeForce3. No regrets though. Except for the power cycling problem (and paper trick), I haven't had any problems. Good luck with your Cube ........joe

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2003, 06:34 PM

Anyone have this same problem with the 15" Apple LCD Display? The monitor adjust panel keeps popping up.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules