Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Should I cancel my Power Mac order?

Should I cancel my Power Mac order?
Ricci Adams
Aug 19, 2002, 06:35 AM

Everybody should keep in mind that I am really upset while I type this.

All I have heard about the new Powermacs is they are noisy. "As loud as a vacuum cleaner" "Twice as loud as a QuickSilver" "The new Power Macs are LOUD" etc.

I am getting this for two purposes:
1) To be able to develop and compile my programs faster.
2) To do normal "Mac" things: listen to my music, browse the web, etc.

A vacuum cleaner is pretty loud - when vacuuming I cannot hear anything else besides the vacuum. The QuickSilver I heard had a very loud sound coming from it - doubling that would be unbearable.

I want to be able to not have to shout over the noise coming from my new Power Mac. Should I just go ahead and cancel out my order now before it is too late and buy an older Quicksilver or Dual-processor Graphite?

Yeah, this post is probably illogical. But I am really upset over all of these comments and I don't want to spend $2500 on a machine I can't turn on for fear of my ear cavity exploding.

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2002, 06:36 AM

Cancel your order. Then check it out yourself. If it's quiet enough for you, redo the order.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2002, 08:36 AM

I would guess that whoever wrote that would be exaggerating to make his point. We have one one the way, and I don't need a vcuum in the office either. At least not one i know how to operate

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2002, 09:56 AM

As i`ve understood it ( could be wrong about this) the fans in the new PM works in a progressive way which means if your PM is placed in a warm/hot environment it will make more fan noise compared to if it`s placed in a cool environment?!

Is this right?

Tom.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2002, 10:17 AM

It's not really as loud as a vaccuum cleaner. Louder than the previous QuickSilver - sure. But clearly the vaccuum comparison is an exageration. Go see one for yourself.

Mongrel
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2002, 11:29 AM

Actually, I picked mine up on Saturday (dual 867), and at times, especially when shut off and back on again, yes - it DOES sound like a vaccuum cleaner. I'd rate the volume right between a Dust Devil handheld vac and a full-size upright.

It does quickly subside, and the fans do accelerate/decelerate throughout the day. I would call it uncomfortably noisy at times, but the experience is still worth it.

Keep your order, and keep your eyes open for mods on hushing the noise a bit... my first thought would be to disable the front fan (which faces the front "vents" altogether, if you don't have Hard Drives in those 2 slots. An expert opinion on this would be appreciated however.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2002, 11:58 AM

Why the hell do people think the QuickSilver is loud?!

I have the 2001 and 2002 versions of them and they are very quiet! Especially the 2002 one with the better HD that you can not even hear running.

pdot
Senior User
Aug 19, 2002, 12:48 PM

It depends on where and how you place your Mac. I had mine in a variety of places, on my desk, on a hardwood floor, on carpet, near the wall, and away from the wall and they all sound differently. I would recommend you place your computer on the floor, preferably carpeted and in a spot where there's less likely of an echo effect.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

Keda
Senior User
Aug 19, 2002, 01:22 PM

My brother is getting one and we went to the Apple store to check them out (but they were out of stock ).

Granted, there was a lot of bkg noise, but I didn't think the machine seemed any louder than the G4 I use in my office or the QS that had been there last week. Remember, a high percentage of ppl on these boards like to bitch about computers which they have no intention of buying.

If you are in doubt, go somewhere and check the machines out for yourself.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2002, 01:50 PM

Nah, they're probably not that loud.

Keep in mind it depends on three factors:

Location, Location, Location.

Temperature? Ventillation? Climate? All of these make a large difference.

If I am right there is no fan near that vent, nor is it used for any cooling purpose (to my knowledge, at least).

however, there is a 120mm fan in there that cools the heatsink; but this is like the quicksilvers, where the fan blows out the side.

My quicksilver 2001 sounds like a vacuum but that's only because it has a serious overheating problem that doesn't exist in the newer ones
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2002, 01:59 PM

Ricci, I'm really sorry for saying what I said.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Aug 19, 2002 at 02:44 PM. )

Mongrel
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2002, 06:24 PM

wow... what'd he say? I missed it.

CIA
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 12:34 AM

cancel it and buy a Dell.

(joke)

Ricci Adams  (op)
Aug 20, 2002, 01:42 AM

Ordered Cancelled!

I called up the Apple Store today, and I was informed that my powermac was now backordered until next week. Since I need it on Friday (moving into college), this wasn't going to work out.

Anyway, my local Apple dealer happened to have a dual 1Ghz still in stock, and they sold it to me at MacMall's $2199 price.

I am typing this on the Quicksilver right now. Its very fast, and the fan noise isn't bad at all. I don't even notice it when listening to music.

Yeah, its a bummer that I don't have ATA/100 or a 166Mhz bus, but oh well, I love my new machine

Thanks for all who responded to this thread Anybody want to buy my old soupped-up Cube?

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Ricci Adams:
Yeah, its a bummer that I don't have ATA/100 or a 166Mhz bus, but oh well, I love my new machine
The difference between ATA/66 and ATA/100 is hardly noticeable, the least of the reasons is that no IDE hard drive transfers at >55MB/sec.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 12:24 PM

Cube specifications, Ricci?

Ricci Adams  (op)
Aug 21, 2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by awcopus:
Cube specifications, Ricci?
G4 450
1.5GB RAM
CD burner
Rage 128 video card
Seagate Barracuda IV 40GB drive
Added a fan to the base (the barracuda throws off a bit more heat than the old drive)
Added a fan controller so you can control the speed/noise that the fan produces.

Comes with the Apple Pro Keyboard, Pro Mouse, and Pro Speakers.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 11:13 PM

How much?

Forum Links
Forum Rules