Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help moving ATA drive from external case into tower

Help moving ATA drive from external case into tower
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 02:35 PM

I just got a new G4 tower, (1.25GHz MDD) and was wondering if anyone has any tips on installing a 2nd hard drive? I've got an external firewire case that I've got a 120GB in, I was able to get the thing in the drive bay of the tower and hook i up, but when I booted the computer up it wouldn't boot the OS, all I had to do was remove the drive to fix the boot problem. The user guide said something about changing the drive's mode... This being my first non-all in one Mac I'm clueless...

Thanks
click one

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I just got a new G4 tower, (1.25GHz MDD) and was wondering if anyone has any tips on installing a 2nd hard drive? I've got an external firewire case that I've got a 120GB in, I was able to get the thing in the drive bay of the tower and hook i up, but when I booted the computer up it wouldn't boot the OS, all I had to do was remove the drive to fix the boot problem. The user guide said something about changing the drive's mode... This being my first non-all in one Mac I'm clueless...

Thanks
Check the drives mfg web site for the jumper settings-or look on the drive's case itself for the settings of the jumper blocks 'J'. These pins are grouped 2 rows of 4 pins each. The 'jumper blocks' are those white or black plastic blocks on 1 or more of the pins covering 2 at a time. You want to configure the drives as (0) master and (1) slave. Master is the first drive on the ribbon (from the ATA bus). Slave the last on the ribbon, furthest from the motherboard.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 01:39 AM

Thanks a lot! I'll be looking into that with the manufacturer.
click one

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 14, 2003, 11:25 AM

The position on the cable is irrelevant when using master/slave mode.

The MDD G4s use Cable Select mode. Just set BOTH hard drives to cable select mode and it should work.

tooki

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
The position on the cable is irrelevant when using master/slave mode.

The MDD G4s use Cable Select mode. Just set BOTH hard drives to cable select mode and it should work.

tooki
Ya I read that in the user's guide. Thanks for the help.
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules