Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Question: What kind of theme do you really want to see made?

Question: What kind of theme do you really want to see made? (Page 2)
mac15
Senior User
Jul 28, 2004, 12:34 AM

Seems you have alot of suggestions NTSW, I'm down for building it still

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2004, 01:47 AM

A retro System 1-7 theme would be great...

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2004, 02:57 AM

Something like early to mid nineties Sony home theater electronics; recievers, cd players, etc. You know, all flat black with sharp corners, pretty little green light bars or dots on or near important buttons. A black SIRO would be something like that, I guess.

But damn, wouldn't that be sick? Especially with a matching background and widgets...

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 06:36 PM

I would really like to see Tactile by grayhaze being turned into a theme for OSX http://grayhaze.com/index2.htm - and also his Metal-X theme.
( Last edited by Fonzie; Jul 30, 2004 at 07:02 AM. )
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2004, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by efuseakay:
A retro System 1-7 theme would be great...
yeah that would be good.but even a OS 9 theme would be okay for me, probably because i've only been using Macs since OS X. OS 9 would be ancient enough for me.

would it be possible to have the menus stay open a bit and the highlighted item flicker for a bit beofre the menu closes, just like in OS 9? that's one of the coolest thing i miss from it... and i'm not too happy about not being able to boot OS 9 anymore either...

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by mugget:
would it be possible to have the menus stay open a bit and the highlighted item flicker for a bit beofre the menu closes, just like in OS 9?
Menu blinking? That's already built into OS X... in fact, most people are annoyed that you can't turn it off in X, while you could in 9.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 12:19 AM

yeah that would be good.but even a OS 9 theme would be okay for me, probably because i've only been using Macs since OS X. OS 9 would be ancient enough for me.
http://www.maxthemes.com/themes/?theme=Rhapsodized

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 12:27 AM

Ok, just for the records. I'm all about originality. I'm not going to port any themes, and I'm not going to make any previous OS themes.

And as fireside just posted, there are already OS 9 themes. Thank you fireside.
click one

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2004, 03:42 AM

well, i guess Rhapsodised is close enough to OS 9... i haven't even tried it to be honest.

i also never ever even noticed the menu blinking in OS X. i just stands out so much more in OS 9, probably because it's so much graphically simpler. it does seem to blink a few more times in OS 9 though... from what i can see in OS X it only blinks twice, or maybe three times. i could swear that in OS 9 it blinks 4 or 5 times before the menu disappears. is there any way to increase the blinking in OS X.

NTSW (is that okay to use as short for NetworkShadow? when i first saw it i got it confused with NSFW. ) - glad to hear that you want to make an original theme. i'll keep that in mind if i come up with any other 'themes' for a theme.

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2004, 07:59 AM

If it's originality you're after, I suggest you lean toward funky-looking title bars, like what was done with Latium. That theme stands out as far as originality IMO, and probably mostly because of those dynamic titlebars.

I've also always liked the idea of divided menus, like in Titanium 7 and Latium. I think it's about time someone did some truly elegant ones, too. Maybe not just divided menus exactly, but something totally different ...at least tranluscent menus or something.

One more thing- In my opinion, the "I, Robot idea" (which would no doubt end up being called "iRobot") would be best if the whole theme is based around the look of the main robot character from the film; that heavy transluscent light blue or white plastic with wires and mechanical all stuff visible underneath.. just sounds like it would be a helluva cool theme, especially considering its potential neutrality- lots of different widgets, icon sets, desktops, etc. would likely be compatible with it. Then again you could have a few color-variations..

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 10:07 AM

Menu blink is customizable in the classic OS. I seem to remember being able to customize it as early as in System 7, though there was probably an option earlier on. Anyway, in OS 9, it's three blinks by default, but I always set it to one blink because it made things go faster (no waiting for the menu to stop blinking). I think in OS X there's just one blink.

And if it's anything like Titanium 7 or Latium, I'm not getting it. Those themes are both ugly.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 02:28 PM

NTSW (is that okay to use as short for NetworkShadow? when i first saw it i got it confused with NSFW. ) - glad to hear that you want to make an original theme. i'll keep that in mind if i come up with any other 'themes' for a theme.
"Shadow", or "NS" works.

Ya an iRobot theme would be cool if it were based on the robots, but with the amount of room to work with in OS X it might just turn out like any other white OS X theme... Though it would have some black hi-lights. I don't know, might be worth messing with. Anyone is welcome to try it, I'm not calming any of the ideas but the Zen one and the mockups I've already done.
click one

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2004, 02:41 PM

IIRC there was a stormtrooper theme being developed here a good while ago... but i forgot who was working on it, or whatever happened to it... looked nice
i'm too lazy to come up with a sig

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2004, 03:37 PM

Could've sworn there was a theme called TK-421 that was based on a Stormtrooper's armor, but I can't find it anywhere...maybe I just missed it when I skimmed ResExcellence.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Anyone is welcome to try it, I'm not calming any of the ideas but the Zen one and the mockups I've already done.
can we see the mockups ?

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
can we see the mockups ?
I haven't gotten to the Zen mockup yet, the plan is to get started on that in the next two weeks. My other two mockups I have posted (links or images) in the first page of this topic.

Here's one I never posted, and I've been sitting on for a year now. I never got 100% happy with this one's design.
If anyone's interested in making this one let me know, I'd be happy to give you the mockup and be the "art director".
click one

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2004, 08:07 PM

hey Shadow, those mock-ups are looking pretty good. hope someone does step up to be the art director.

i'm all for the divided menus as well, but not as extreme as those other themes. for example is it possible just to have the 'menu divider' transparent? not each individual menu item? otherwise it just seems to be too much to me.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 08:23 PM

hey Shadow, those mock-ups are looking pretty good. hope someone does step up to be the art director.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough on that, I meant; I would be the art director if someone wanted to make it.
click one

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2004, 10:36 PM

oops. yes i didn't read that properly. well i'm sure you'd be a good art director to work under.

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2004, 04:50 PM

I want LustRazor...

Preview

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2004, 07:27 PM

yeah, i would love to see LustRazor, but NS has already said no porting, he wants to make an original theme.

but just on the subject of LustRazor, would it even be possible to make those bars along the top of the windows? and that picture in the menubar? i thought that it tiled patterns or colors to compose the menubar and Finder windows? so how could you get a picture like that to be the menubar? and how would you get that picture in the Finder windows?

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Anubis IV:
Could've sworn there was a theme called TK-421 that was based on a Stormtrooper's armor, but I can't find it anywhere...maybe I just missed it when I skimmed ResExcellence.
Yeah, that was me. It never finished it. I made the mockups, but I didn't have the stamina to actually finish the theme in ThemePark.

If some pro themer out there wants to take my mockups and make a full blown theme, contact me and we can work something out.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
Yeah, that was me. It never finished it. I made the mockups, but I didn't have the stamina to actually finish the theme in ThemePark.
Well that's a shame. I actually thought the preview looked pretty decent. Looked like a theme I might've been interested in using. It just seemed more approachable than some of the other themes out there, and at the same time blended the minimalistic and edgy aspects together rather well. Just seemed like a good idea for a theme, and I thought you were doing well with it.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Anubis IV:
Well that's a shame. I actually thought the preview looked pretty decent. Looked like a theme I might've been interested in using. It just seemed more approachable than some of the other themes out there, and at the same time blended the minimalistic and edgy aspects together rather well. Just seemed like a good idea for a theme, and I thought you were doing well with it.
Well, like I said, if someone else who's more experience at making themes wants to take my mockup and finish the theme, just contact me (Swiz? Max? Bueller? Anyone?). I can provide a "real" themer with my psd files and the .theme file I started, if someone wants to finish it.

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 12:06 AM

Are there any more pics that look more Stormtrooperish?

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by codywalton:

You were doing great development with that theme. You kept up with all the suggestions people were dropping on you. Nice work overall with a good attention to details. I hope someone picks it up from you.

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2004, 06:59 PM

How about a brown fuzzy looking Ewok theme... name it Wicket...

Keifer
Aug 3, 2004, 07:24 PM

I'd be happy to see that Mjolnir theme realized.
"keyfur"

speedraycer
Aug 30, 2004, 08:38 PM

NetworkShadow, i really liked the look of your Zion theme mock-up. i still haven't got around to doing any theme Matrix related so it would be really good to see someone else get a good Matrix theme out there.

my other suggestion would be to go for a really glossy, shiny, perhaps even 'glowing' theme. well perhaps not 'really' glossy... but toned down enough for continued use.

I second the need for a glowing theme. I like the look of glowing blue led looking lights and bright white/blue or white/purple text.

Think of the dashboard of a VW Jetta for the blue led for the buttons and progress bars and Audi HID headlight look of white/purple for text on a gray/titanium or gray/aluminum theme.

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2004, 11:40 PM

Question: What kind of theme do you really want to see made?
BLANK. Completely blank. Just for kicks, make every last necessary image file one color or transparent or something. Could be a good trick to play on a buddy who uses ShapeShifter.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2004, 12:58 AM

i would really like any themes mentioned here..

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=226503

Forum Links
Forum Rules