Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Moving an LCD TV

Moving an LCD TV
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2008, 12:21 PM

I recently bought a 40 inch Samsung LCD TV which is great--I love it. As luck would have it, I found out I *might* be moving across the country sometime in the next few months. I would not have bought a big TV had I known this beforehand but oh well.

During the delivery of the TV, the guy said that when transporting them you always keep them upright. Laying them flat causes a "gas" in them to escape or move around or something which will apparently ruin the picture. He also said that watching a video in 16:9(which creates dark bands on the top and bottom of the screen will create a burn--in fact is says this in the manual too. I thought that "burn" was only an issue on older plasma TVs--not LCD's. What about this gas--is that true?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2008, 12:35 PM

Methinks gas is for plasma TV and not LCD, but I may be wrong on that. I've definitely heard that plasma screens are not to be laid flat because of the gas system in them.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2008, 12:42 PM

enh i think he got confused re: plasma vs lcd. no gas in lcd.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2008, 02:34 PM

Yeah, thinking about it, if LCD had gas then how would you be able to lie an iMac down and take the back off or install memory into the bottom, and you'd have to be very careful with the angle of your laptop screen.

Maybe just because it was a big flat screen the delivery guy thought your TV was a plasma.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2008, 04:09 PM

When he said that, I asked him if he just meant Plasma TV's could not be laid flat but he insisted he had to make sure all TV's were always positioned upright because of this gas issue. However, maybe he was told this by the retailer so that he wouldn't accidentally lie a Plasma flat if it wasn't somehow obvious on the box which was which. Thanks everyone, I guess I won't worry about it then!

seivad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2008, 05:37 PM

i guess thats why he is just a delievery person

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2008, 06:40 PM

Did you keep the original box? That would seem to be the best way to ship it.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
Did you keep the original box? That would seem to be the best way to ship it.
Yes, I do still have it. Though it seems a flimsy thing to ship it in. I can just see UPS totally destroying it in transit. lol I bought it from J&R in NY and they called a van to take me and the TV home--so it was never actually "shipped" in the first place. Also, the "van" turned out to be a new Cadillac Escalade with leather seats. The guy even helped me carry it up the stairs and the delivery charge was $45. I gave him a nice tip I was so pleased. The extra $100 or so that I paid more than what I would have on amazon was so worth it to get it the same day--and skip the hassle of delivery services. I hope I don't have to ship this thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules