Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Advice on Email backup

Advice on Email backup
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 12:54 PM

Although I love my mbp at home I have a PC at work (running XP) and was looking for some advice. I work with Novell Groupwise and don't have enough room in my archive(which resides on a shared drive) to store all my emails and their attachments. All of my emails get automatically deleted after 3 months unless I move them somewhere. I was wondering if there was a piece of software that I could use to export each of my messages with their respective attachments to be stored on my local hard drive.

I need to make sure that the messages *and* attachments are keyword searchable and that they remained linked. In other words, the email message and its respective attachment would need to stay together--like they are in my inbox.

At one point someone suggested Eudora--would that satisfy my needs? If compatibility between my Groupwise and the application is a problem I think I can get my administrator to give me Microsoft Outlook. . .

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 01:36 PM

Does Groupwise support IMAP, or does it use some sort of proprietary technology? If the latter, you're stuck with whatever Novell provides. If the former, there are all sorts of backup options and possibilities.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jun 4, 2008 at 04:39 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 01:45 PM

Also, Eudora speaks POP and IMAP just like any other client. Somebody may have mentioned it because it has a reputation for having support for robust rule/filter sets, but Thunderbird would be an even better choice.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 02:09 PM

Thanks besson! I'm checking to see if it supports IMAP(which I hope it does).

Forum Links
Forum Rules