Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Wisconsin to prosecute gay couple

Wisconsin to prosecute gay couple
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 09:08 AM

Two women may be prosecuted if they get married to each other in California. An old law dating back to 1915 states that couples who leave the state to a get a marriage in another state which would be illegal in Wisconsin are subject to 9 years imprisonment and a $10,000 fine when they return. Of course, there are plenty of oddbal laws that have been on the books for years which remain but are no longer enforced. However, a Wisconsin prosecutor says she intends to actually enforce this law and send these women to jail.

Of course, I have a feeling there is a bit of manipulation over this from both sides and I'd be surprised if a prison term or fine ever comes of this -- but its interesting. If the prosecutor did go through with it, what a nationwide storm this would cause in an election year.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/....sex.jail.wkow

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 09:29 AM

Sounds like someone is trying to get some face time.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 09:29 AM

It's hard to imagine a worse PR move by people opposed to gay marriage.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
If the prosecutor did go through with it, what a nationwide storm this would cause in an election year.
Exactly. I'm convinced that Bush won the 2004 election because of the backlash against Gay Marriage back then. I was expecting the pot to be stirred more this year, on both sides....

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
It's hard to imagine a worse PR move by people opposed to gay marriage.
I think that most people opposed to gay marriage would actually agree with that sentiment as well. Jail time for doing something out-of-state that's legal there? Crazy talk.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
I think that most people opposed to gay marriage would actually agree with that sentiment as well. Jail time for doing something out-of-state that's legal there? Crazy talk.
Crazy talk? Standard M.O.

There's three British guys sitting in a Texas prison right now for carrying out essentially legal business activities in the UK whilst working for a UK company. Like I've being saying for a while, the US "system" has a bit of a problem with jurisdiction boundaries.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 11:47 AM

Please explain why this particular victimless crime merits jailtime, not to mention the state's time and money to prosecute.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Doof View Post
Crazy talk? Standard M.O.

There's three British guys sitting in a Texas prison right now for carrying out essentially legal business activities in the UK whilst working for a UK company. Like I've being saying for a while, the US "system" has a bit of a problem with jurisdiction boundaries.
"Essentially" legal? Is that like only being "a little bit" pregnant?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Please explain why this particular victimless crime merits jailtime, not to mention the state's time and money to prosecute.
Because it will further the career of the prosecutor in conservative circles, that's why.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
"Essentially" legal? Is that like only being "a little bit" pregnant?
"Essentially legal" as in: UK courts couldn't find any evidence that the blokes had committed a crime, since they hadn't actually done so. But the UK powers that be still wanted these guys strung up, so handed them over to the US on a paper-thin extradition warrant.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 11:55 AM

Heh, reverse rendition.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 11:56 AM

"Essentially legal" as in: UK courts couldn't find any evidence that the blokes had committed a crime, since they hadn't actually done so. But the UK powers that be still wanted these guys strung up, so handed them over to the US on a paper-thin extradition warrant.
So, who's the bad guy here, the UK or the US ?

-t

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
The US for being a bunch of tools who don't know where their jurisdiction ends (as per the reason for this little story and it relating to the thread topic) and the UK for being a bunch of pansies and giving the blokes up. Both equally crap.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
The gays of course

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2008, 06:32 PM

The US for being a bunch of tools who don't know where their jurisdiction ends (as per the reason for this little story and it relating to the thread topic) and the UK for being a bunch of pansies and giving the blokes up. Both equally crap.

Do you have a link to the story? Your discription isn't ringing any bells and I'm curious as to exactly what it is they did/didn't do.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Do you have a link to the story? Your discription isn't ringing any bells and I'm curious as to exactly what it is they did/didn't do.
Natwest Three.
If you don't want to be eaten, stop acting like food

Forum Links
Forum Rules