Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Active Sync with original iPhone upgraded to 2.0 software?

Active Sync with original iPhone upgraded to 2.0 software?
webb3201
Senior User
Jun 29, 2008, 05:50 PM

I don't want to upgrade to a 3g iPhone but want to use Activesync with my current iPhone. This should be possible with the software upgrade?
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2008, 06:11 PM

Yup. The only uncertainty is whether people who aren't on a corporate account will be able to use it.

webb3201  (op)
Senior User
Jun 29, 2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Yup. The only uncertainty is whether people who aren't on a corporate account will be able to use it.
Yeah, I am almost 90% certain ill have to shell out the corporate fees in the end. I wish they would give us the final rate plans so I can make my plans for the 11th.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

PatrickSiska
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2008, 10:57 AM

You do not need a corporate account. You can get Exchange through a hosted provider (123together, groupSPARK, etc). They can set-up a split domain, which will allow you to use your existing company domain without affecting the entire company. Then you can use Active Synch with Exchange on your iPhone. I'll be doing this the minute 2.0 is released.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickSiska View Post
You do not need a corporate account. You can get Exchange through a hosted provider (123together, groupSPARK, etc). They can set-up a split domain, which will allow you to use your existing company domain without affecting the entire company. Then you can use Active Synch with Exchange on your iPhone. I'll be doing this the minute 2.0 is released.
Per AT&T, if you want to have ActiveSync/Exchange on your iPhone, you'll need the $45/month data plan instead of the $30/month data plan. It was the same with my BlackBerry when I had a hosted exchange service.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2008, 10:20 PM

That's only if you tell them you're doing that. You don't need to otherwise.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 08:47 PM

Our IT guys believe the same as alex_kac. Don't buy the plan. Of course we will all know very soon. And you shouldn't need to do what patricksiska suggests either. There are personal exchange servers in use. College students don't pay for corporate plans to use Exchange. Etc.

I will be the first user with a Mac product to officially connect to our all PC environment in a company of 800 people. Can't wait.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 09:31 AM

Yup, the Touch works wonderfully and connected immediately. The only problem I noticed was that since Activesync is pushing data as well, battery life on the Touch is definitely impacted (compared to the previous manual fetch settings).

Guess they've had to keep something powered on in an idle state for this all to work...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 10:20 AM

Yeah, mine has worked perfectly with exchange. It's actually kind of sad that I now have better access to my work exchange server with my mobile device than from any of my Macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules