Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's Happened to Netflix?

What's Happened to Netflix?
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2008, 08:36 PM

It seems like any new release movie now has a "long wait" or "very long wait" on my que. Over the past few years I would sometimes get an occasional "short wait" for a title(usually something obscure) but that would end after a day or two. These movies have sat on my list for weeks now and its starting to get really annoying. I called customer service and was told their customer base was growing so fast they couldn't keep up--and that "gradually" this would change as they increased the number of copies they have. Great.

Anyone else having this problem?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2008, 08:44 PM

BitTorrent? It's both the answer and the solution!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2008, 09:41 PM

I dropped Netflix long ago.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 22, 2008, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Nope. Not yet.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2008, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
BitTorrent? It's both the answer and the solution!
But what about the Pro-IP Act?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Rumor
Oct 22, 2008, 05:42 AM

Netflix will sometimes delay your rentals if you cycle through too many movies.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2008, 06:54 AM

so far; only one time. and it just happened to be yesterday when Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween came out on blu-ray. I can wait. rest of the stuff will come in the meantime. i mean, halloween/scary movie time of year/, it is to be expected for this title. i may cancel it and go buy it though. it would be a movie that gets many repeat viewings.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2008, 11:15 AM

I've had to deal with waits for Blu-ray copies, but I've only had to wait over a week for one title on DVD, and it was a really obscure documentary I wanted to see. Maybe it has something to do with your living in such a densely-populated region (which obviously can't be helped).

I would just say they should triple their orders for movies, but can Netflix afford that? Are they raking in profits?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
But what about the Pro-IP Act?
It doesn't require a whole lot of smarts to fly under the radar on this one.

Besides, if we're ever going to move to legitimate electronic distribution of media, BitTorrent, and technologies like it, are clearly the way to go. It would benefit everyone for BitTorrent to be included in apps like iTunes and Software Update. Netflix and others want to move towards an electronic model, and to do so they'd be best suited by using a P2P model for distribution.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2008, 10:28 AM

Yes, with Blockbuster.

Had movies there waiting for 1.5 years with "Long Wait". WTF ?

They should just remove them altogether.

-t

Railroader
Banned
Oct 23, 2008, 10:50 AM

I didn't know people still used Blockbusters service.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I didn't know people still used Blockbusters service.
Sure, I love it.

Being able to turn in the Bluckbuster Online movies to a BB store and getting a free new movie is just great.

Plus, I'm traveling quite a bit, so I can turn in the BB Online movies at other BB locations and still get a new movie.
NetFlix would just send them home, which is no good while I'm on the road.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Oct 23, 2008 at 11:03 AM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
so far; only one time. and it just happened to be yesterday when Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween came out on blu-ray. I can wait. rest of the stuff will come in the meantime. i mean, halloween/scary movie time of year/, it is to be expected for this title. i may cancel it and go buy it though. it would be a movie that gets many repeat viewings.
I really enjoyed Rob Zombie's version. I liked the more in-depth background story.

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2008, 01:46 PM

Blockbuster just has a very small selection compared to NetFlix. The wait times are pretty bad for their online stuff. I actually used to do Hollywood's rental plan which was only $10/month for 2 new rentals and 3 older rentals. Stupid Hollywood doubled the price on it, so it's not even worth it anymore compared to NetFlix and even Blockbuster.

I liked Hollywood because they still had a decent selection of older movies. Blockbuster seems to be only movies within the last 10 years. Bah.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 24, 2008, 12:17 AM

Yes all the time. The problem about making people who watch a lot of DVDs per month wait longer has been discussed before. There was a lawsuit awhile back about it, but the comment from customer service is probably another factor in all this. The irony is that people who don't rent a lot of movies per month probably are holding on to them longer so if they get all the new movies then the rest of us will never get them in a timely matter.

Although it does seem that Netflix really doesn't seem to be buying enough DVDs. It's extremely annoying to say the least.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
It doesn't require a whole lot of smarts to fly under the radar on this one.

Besides, if we're ever going to move to legitimate electronic distribution of media, BitTorrent, and technologies like it, are clearly the way to go. It would benefit everyone for BitTorrent to be included in apps like iTunes and Software Update. Netflix and others want to move towards an electronic model, and to do so they'd be best suited by using a P2P model for distribution.
VUDU uses p2p. The box DLs its updates from the mothership and from other boxes. It streams movies you've watched out to others and streams from others to yours.

Sounds good, no?

People in the tech press complain because it messes with VOiP, and because there's not control over throttling other than to unplug.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 11:35 PM

Any tool, improperly used, can cause problems. Just because some people use a technology irresponsibly doesn't mean that we should abandon it altogether.

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2008, 03:34 PM

Another happy user of Blockbuster online. I have been with them for about 3 years now and can't complain. My plan has been upgraded several times and have the same price for years. Now I get 3 movies at a time, unlimited exchanges and 2 monthly coupons for $17.99. The same plan now is $34.99, but I have been grandfathered in. I like it because I have 2 blockbuster stores within 3 miles so, I can exchange my movies all the time. Plus, they mail me the new disks as soon as I exchange them in the store.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf View Post
Another happy user of Blockbuster online. I have been with them for about 3 years now and can't complain. My plan has been upgraded several times and have the same price for years. Now I get 3 movies at a time, unlimited exchanges and 2 monthly coupons for $17.99. The same plan now is $34.99, but I have been grandfathered in. I like it because I have 2 blockbuster stores within 3 miles so, I can exchange my movies all the time. Plus, they mail me the new disks as soon as I exchange them in the store.
My plan is $ 19.99 for 3 movies, unlimited exchange and 1 coupon.

I didn't even realize that that plan would now cost $ 35.

-t

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
My plan is $ 19.99 for 3 movies, unlimited exchange and 1 coupon.

I didn't even realize that that plan would now cost $ 35.

-t
Yeah, I just checked before I posted. Now, for $19.99 you get the 3 movies, plus 5 exchanges per month. The unlimited exchanges is $34.99.

Oh yeah, they did introduce a download option. But, of course, the videos only run on windows.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2008, 04:16 PM

I have to check out the download option. It should work with VMWare Fusion.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2008, 04:33 PM

Meh, they charge you extra for downloads. WTF ?

Then I might as well download via my AppleTV.

-t

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2008, 09:57 PM

I've been a Netflix customer since 2001. I get 4 at a time, unlimited per month for $17. I was grandfathered into several changes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules