Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's been going on with me?

What's been going on with me? (Page 2)
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2009, 07:01 PM

Alas, I don't think I look quite good enough shirtless to impress the superficial "Dolce and Gabbana bitches" that go out to bars here... I thought gay men were gay men everywhere... nope.
Hmm … superficial D&G bitches who refuse to look at anything less than a Bel Ami model?

I’d say that’s pretty much proof that gay men are gay men everywhere.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Hmm … superficial D&G bitches who refuse to look at anything less than a Bel Ami model?

I’d say that’s pretty much proof that gay men are gay men everywhere.
Now that's not entirely true. Not everybody goes for the bel ami or abercrombie guys (though God knows plenty of 50 year old men dress like them). Scruffy is definitely in these days and its great.

I bet that Tooki may have secret admirers around him -- but who may be kept away by seemingly strong social pressures.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2009, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Now that's not entirely true. Not everybody goes for the bel ami or abercrombie guys (though God knows plenty of 50 year old men dress like them). Scruffy is definitely in these days and its great.
Maybe in NYC. Over here, the D&G bitches are still stuck on the twinkie type.

Scruffy is only in out in the real world.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2009, 10:54 AM

An Zücher Staibock
YouTube - An Zürcher Staibock

Zürcher sind nützlich =)
YouTube - Zürcher sind immer brauchbar

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2009, 12:06 PM

Honestly, dating sucks anywhere, but yah Winnipeg is typically known as open and friendly, and our gays are still insular assholes, I can't imagine how a country where everyone's insular by default would be.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 14, 2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Honestly
*giggle*

Railroader
Banned
Jul 14, 2009, 06:30 PM

I'd appreciate a little white lie or two myself.

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 17, 2009, 07:31 AM

And only on twink types that have the latest clothes.

Ugh. I'm gay, that means I like guys who are... reasonably masculine. I don't understand the appeal of "men" who act like 12 year old girls.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2009, 09:14 AM

I don’t understand the appeal of anything (12-year-old girls included) that acts like a 12-year-old girl.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2009, 09:26 AM

Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 17, 2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post

Ugh. I'm gay, that means I like guys who are... reasonably masculine. I don't understand the appeal of "men" who act like 12 year old girls.
I don’t understand the appeal of anything (12-year-old girls included) that acts like a 12-year-old girl.
Amen! As unappealing as 12 year old girls are, I wonder how the species manages to survive.

I've known some gay men who were occasionally effeminate. Typically they used such behaviors for dramatic effect in conversation with people they knew well. I know one guy that out does Bette Davis at times. But I've also seen young men out in public demonstrating more "swing in the back yard" than most women, and I have to wonder why they bother. It's related to my confusion about certain lesbians who masculinize their looks and behaviors-I don't see the connection.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
But I've also seen young men out in public demonstrating more "swing in the back yard" than most women, and I have to wonder why they bother.
For some people, it really is just who they are. And as long as they don’t talk too much, or too loudly, they don’t bother me (too much, or too loud, talking in highly effeminate voices, however, will give me a headache, which does bother me).

The majority of these people, though, really do seem to do it at least semi-consciously, in an effort to actually be that ‘swing in the back yard’-ish, and like you, I cannot fathom why. What’s the point? Are they in fact being paid by aspirin companies, to induce headaches into people and boost sales of painkillers?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 17, 2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2009, 10:13 AM

Hehe, I remember my first time at the gay bar, I met this kid who had the worst lisp EVER! I felt so good about myself afterward, I turned to a friend and was like... wow if I got picked on in school I can only imagine what he went through.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2009, 11:22 AM

Alas, I don't think I look quite good enough shirtless to impress the superficial "Dolce and Gabbana bitches" that go out to bars here...

Could someone please translate this for us straight guys ?

TIA

-t

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

Could someone please translate this for us straight guys ?

TIA

-t
I don’t believe you know none of those. Dolce & Gabbana is quite a famous brand, regardless of sexuality or gender. A ‘Dolce & Gabbana bitch’ is obviously just someone whose life centres just a bit too heavily around wearing the right clothes and knowing the right fashion, etc.

Bel Ami … well, I’d provide a link, but considering the type of content Bel Ami’s video productions contain, I doubt it would fall within the scope of MacNN posting guidelines (does that answer your question?).

Scruffy is a perfectly normal word. You know—a scruffy appearance, someone who looks a bit ‘indie’ and not combed to perfection, etc.?

A twink is … surprisingly hard to define. I’ll go with urbandictionary’s definition: “An attractive, boyish-looking, young gay man. The stereotypical twink is 18-22, slender with little or no body hair, often blonde, dresses in club wear even at 10:00 AM, and is not particularly intelligent. A twink is the gay answer to the blonde bimbo cheerleader.”

Clearer now?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2009, 12:13 PM

Oh, yes, thank you. all the G4Y-5P34|< gots me confusinated.

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2009, 02:31 PM

Tooki you should meet up with a nice bear

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 21, 2009, 12:23 PM

Mmmm, no. LOL. I don't need an otter or anything either. Hahah.

As for the delay in responding, I'm in Germany right now, staying in a little tiny hamlet in the Lüneburger Heide, for my best friend's wedding (his wife is originally from here). Anyway, in the village, to get a cellphone (or wireless data) signal, you have to walk up to the main road, sacrifice a "Heidschnucke" on the altar of the Internet gods, and chant a few incantations. In other words, I'm kinda unplugged. Right now I'm in Lüneburg, after a nice dinner, using a hot GPRS connection. LOL!

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2009, 02:05 PM

GPRS? Seriously? OUCH isn't Europe supposed to be all cellular savvy?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2009, 11:58 AM

As for the delay in responding, I'm in Germany right now, staying in a little tiny hamlet in the Lüneburger Heide, for my best friend's wedding (his wife is originally from here). Anyway, in the village, to get a cellphone (or wireless data) signal, you have to walk up to the main road, sacrifice a "Heidschnucke" on the altar of the Internet gods, and chant a few incantations. In other words, I'm kinda unplugged. Right now I'm in Lüneburg, after a nice dinner, using a hot GPRS connection. LOL!
I once asked a Japanese friend how she would translate 'in the boonies.'

Her translation: 'beyond the farthest rice paddies.'

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 26, 2009, 10:44 AM

GPRS? Seriously? OUCH isn't Europe supposed to be all cellular savvy?
Heh. I guess it depends on the carrier, too. This was Aldi Mobile, i.e. the cheapest of the cheap.

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 26, 2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
I once asked a Japanese friend how she would translate 'in the boonies.'

Her translation: 'beyond the farthest rice paddies.'

In German, you say "at the a$$ of the world".

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 26, 2009, 11:06 AM

Gee, I've lived in a number of "armpits of the world," but never anywhere so far out that the German term would apply. Hmmm. I've visited some pretty out of the way places too, and it's been nice to be away from all those connections for a while. Good to be back to them, of course. Here's an example: on a recent vacation, my wife and I went all the way to Skagway, Alaska. No internet on the cruise ship because it's through a satellite link and Skagway is pretty far north. Not having an internet connection was just fine, because we were on vacation.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 26, 2009, 12:55 PM

In German, you say "at the a$$ of the world".
We say “in Lars Squitters’ field”. As always, we feel the need to out-vulgar and out-gross everyone else …

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2009, 02:46 PM

We say “in Lars Squitters’ field”. As always, we feel the need to out-vulgar and out-gross everyone else …
You should change your sig to

"Way more vulgar than your country"

-t

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 26, 2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
... my wife and I went all the way to Skagway, Alaska....
I'm sorry you had to go to Skagway. I apologize on behalf of Alaska.
(I was born in Haines. The cruise lines don't give a damn about Haines.)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2009, 04:31 PM

Mmmm, no. LOL. I don't need an otter or anything either. Hahah.

Round where you are/were, they don't call it "am Arsch der Heide" for nothin'!

Where the hell was this, btw?

(Lüneburg's a lovely town)

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 26, 2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
I'm sorry you had to go to Skagway. I apologize on behalf of Alaska.
(I was born in Haines. The cruise lines don't give a damn about Haines.)
The mountains and views alone were worth the trip, and I'd go back to Skagway in a heartbeat. Except in winter, of course-I ain't that crazy. I'd like to hike the trails up to the passes, at least parts of them. We enjoyed the touristy things because that's why we went, but our next Alaska vacation will go much farther north.

And while I didn't know that it was Haines as we went past, I did indeed notice it. I think it's a very beautiful part of the country and of the planet. Of course, we were there in early June of a very well behaved year (it was even clear and dry in Seattle when we were there!), so that might be coloring my view...

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 28, 2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Round where you are/were, they don't call it "am Arsch der Heide" for nothin'!

Where the hell was this, btw?

(Lüneburg's a lovely town)
We were in Velgen, a tiny hamlet in the community of Hanstedt, which is near Uelzen.

The center of this map is the house where the bride grew up: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...04442&t=h&z=18

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2009, 05:19 AM

That's "am Arsch der Heide."

I used to practice with a band in Rettmer, and I thought *that* was out-of-the-way...

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 10:18 AM

In Canada we just call it the middle of nowhere... apparently we're far more proper...

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2009, 10:55 AM

Being in the middle of nowhere in Canada is quite different from being in the middle of nowhere in Germany.

Last year, early May in Nunavut.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 30, 2009, 11:30 AM

Doesn't "Nunavut" translate to "nowhere at all?"

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 11:34 AM

Apparently it means our land. Which the population can say, since who the heck would wanna take it from them!?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2009, 01:27 PM

Apparently it means our land. Which the population can say, since who the heck would wanna take it from them!?
This coming from a Canadian.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
This coming from a Canadian.
How do you know that Salty isn't Inuit?

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
How do you know that Salty isn't Inuit?
And I'm not filtering out the many anti-native racist jokes that have been engrained in my head since I was born in light of the fact that bigotry toward aboriginal people is one of the most accepted forms of prejudice in Canada.

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Aug 1, 2009, 04:36 AM

So today is the Swiss independence day. Woo?

On a positive note, my citizenship is moving to the next step, which should be purely administrative processing at this point.

And finally, I feel vindicated. At a previous job, the general manager didn't like me for some reason, and would not promote me, even though everyone else thought I was a shoo-in. But I could never put my finger on what was wrong, I just knew I didn't trust him.

Well, the grapevine is telling me that he left the company with a nice little note after being caught embezzling from the company and firing the assistant manager who blew the whistle on him.

My slimeball detector was right! And of course, now it makes sense: I'm smarter than he is, and he knew he wouldn't be able to get fraud past me. That's why he promoted people of... limited capacity.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2009, 06:39 AM

Independence from what? Zee Chermans?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009, 07:55 AM

So today is the Swiss independence day. Woo?
Do tell-I thought the Swiss sort of just coalesced there in the mountains... From whom did they become independent?
My slimeball detector was right! And of course, now it makes sense: I'm smarter than he is, and he knew he wouldn't be able to get fraud past me. That's why he promoted people of... limited capacity.
In an odd way isn't it nice to have been targeted by a slimeball as being "too bright?" Gives you a warm feeling, doesn't it? No, not that feeling-that's heartburn. The other feeling. The one that says "gee, that's why I thought this guy was slime-he WAS!"

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Aug 1, 2009, 10:14 AM

If only I could have eliminated that slimeball with an Alka-Seltzer like I can the heartburn...

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009, 03:11 PM

If only I could have eliminated that slimeball with an Alka-Seltzer like I can the heartburn...
Who knows-did you throw water on him? He might have melted like the Wicked Witch of the West...

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Aug 1, 2009, 06:52 PM

If I were gonna go to the effort to throw liquids, I'd probably use something more volatile than water...

Just kidding. The water would just repel anyway, since slime doesn't readily absorb water.

Rumor
Aug 2, 2009, 10:18 PM

I never responded to you reply, so I will now. A couple years back I was a guest at the County Hotel, and they made me remove all my piercings. I had never had them redone, but have recently been thinking about getting them done again.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Aug 7, 2009, 01:30 PM

Like what?

Rumor
Aug 7, 2009, 01:45 PM

One in each ear, one in the tongue, one in each nipple.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 7, 2009, 09:40 PM

Ow. One in each ear is enough for me, thanks.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 8, 2009, 03:00 PM

Good luck man. Things get better eventually. BTW, next time buy an old 50lb chrome plated blender from the 50s/60s. It will outlast your life.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2009, 02:59 AM

They still make them.

Startseite - Manufactum

Forum Links
Forum Rules