Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > logic board failure....advice

logic board failure....advice
Chito
Senior User
Jul 21, 2004, 09:59 PM

Ok...after all my bragging about how my iBook G3 800 has been such a dream and NEVER had a problem.....tonight when I started up my screen was in triplicate and there was a line running down the extreme left hand side. So....I know this is the beginning of logic board problems from reading the many threads here. I restarted and now everything seems fine. What do I do next? Wait for it to fail completely? Or haul it to the local Apple store now? When the day does come should I remove my added ram and airport card before it goes in?
I'm bummed but not too much since I'm covered under the repair program and this isn't my main computer. Thanks for your advice.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Chito:
Ok...after all my bragging about how my iBook G3 800 has been such a dream and NEVER had a problem.....tonight when I started up my screen was in triplicate and there was a line running down the extreme left hand side. So....I know this is the beginning of logic board problems from reading the many threads here. I restarted and now everything seems fine. What do I do next? Wait for it to fail completely? Or haul it to the local Apple store now? When the day does come should I remove my added ram and airport card before it goes in?
I'm bummed but not too much since I'm covered under the repair program and this isn't my main computer. Thanks for your advice.
Sorry to hear that. Anyway, here's my suggestion:

1. Backup HD
2. Remove addons (Airport & RAM)
3. Take it over to your local Apple store

Hope they'll get it fixed soon

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Jul 22, 2004, 02:44 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought too. Looks like I'll bust out a firewire cable and Carbon Copy Cloner and just clone the whole drive onto my G4. I probably won't need it but you never know when they just might decide to format my drive!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

-Q-
Jul 23, 2004, 11:18 AM

Exactly right. Back everything up and ship it off. My reseller friend says that drive wipes are uncommon for the logic board replacement, but they do happen. Besides, a good backup never hurts.

Good luck. Hope it works out. And hope this is the only one you have! My wife's iBook (formerly mine) is now in the shop for it's third replacement.

BenRoethig
Jul 23, 2004, 06:53 PM

I just brought mine in for the same thing.

skalie
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 10:17 PM

Three week wait for me so far (Netherlands >>> Ireland and hopefully back).

Also the news that apart from needing a new logicboard the monitor is also dead, although I will be giving the thing a few hard slaps to confirm that. Or alternatively connecting an extra monitor.

To add extra sadness to the story, I had just decided to invest in Panther and iLife, the install seemed to have killed the thing. (600mhz jobbie)

BenRoethig
Jul 29, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by skalie:
Three week wait for me so far (Netherlands >>> Ireland and hopefully back).

Also the news that apart from needing a new logicboard the monitor is also dead, although I will be giving the thing a few hard slaps to confirm that. Or alternatively connecting an extra monitor.

To add extra sadness to the story, I had just decided to invest in Panther and iLife, the install seemed to have killed the thing. (600mhz jobbie)
Must be your location. Got mine back today after ten days, good as new.

Forum Links
Forum Rules