Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2 HDs, not visible

2 HDs, not visible
kick52
Baninated
May 14, 2006, 05:16 AM

Hi.

I have an 80gb HD which I use in my PM G4 (sig), which i thought i'd better backup, so i put in the 20gb which it came with, last time i used this it worked but i think i might of changed the jmper settings on the 20gb. anyway, i pop it in, plug it in, and i sit it right on top of my 80gb, because my PM didnt come with the 2 hd support rack thing, and secure it with tape. i get my mac setup again and boot it up. i can hear the 20gb and 80gb spin up, but when i expect the screen to go grey, it recieves a signal, but stays black for 10secs longer and then turns grey and doesnt do anything.
i thought it might be confused because of the pram was set differently so i restarted and held down alt. it says there are no drives to boot to. i pop in the panther disk, select disk util, and there are no disks, select startup disk, and there are no disks.
if i take out the 20gb, it boots up fine.

what am i doing wrong? could this be caused by jumper settings (i think both are set to master)?

any help is great,
kick52

kick52  (op)
Baninated
May 14, 2006, 05:23 AM

forgot to mention,

80gb is ExcelStor Technology J880

20gb is Quantum Fireball Plus KX

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 14, 2006, 05:27 AM

You can't have both set as Master.One must be master and one must be slave. In this case you'd want the 80gb to be master and the 20gb to be slave since the 80gb is the one I assume you want to boot off.

kick52  (op)
Baninated
May 14, 2006, 05:32 AM

I thought macs didnt screw up with bus errors though.. Even my PC can boot up wit 2 masters. Just reports an error at the bios stage.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 14, 2006, 05:35 AM

Yes exactly. I'm sure your mac would pop up with the flashing finder icon folder and question mark if you left it long enough. Your pc gives you an error at the bios but it most likely doesn't boot into the OS.

kick52  (op)
Baninated
May 14, 2006, 05:39 AM

yep, the PC does. has been for the last couple of months.
Error: Drive Error
Press F1 to continue.

Press F1 and everything works, even both of the drives.
What is also great about the PC is that the 2 masters are one HD abd one APPLE cd rom drive i took out of my PM!!!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2006, 08:32 AM

Ah, I'm so glad I never owned a Mac that used PATA. Oh wait, except for my iBook. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 14, 2006, 09:21 AM

Won't the cdrom and the hard drive be on a different bus though?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 14, 2006, 03:17 PM

That machine has two ATA buses (both without cable select support). One bus is for the optical drive and optional Zip drive. The optical is the master, the Zip the slave.

The other bus is the faster ATA/66 hard disk bus. One drive MUST be set to master, and one MUST be set to slave. It does not matter which one is set to which.

tooki

kick52  (op)
Baninated
May 15, 2006, 08:59 AM

thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules