Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 16 GB RAM and 1 TB Hard Drive

16 GB RAM and 1 TB Hard Drive
lilford
Apr 12, 2006, 10:26 PM

Hey does anybody here have a powermac with 16 GB of RAM? How bout the 1 terabyte (1000 Gigabytes) hard drive? With both of these, the powermac costs about $21,000 including a monitor.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 10:44 PM

Well, at least I now know I am not the only one that maxs out random computers on the online Apple Store
iamwhor3hay

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Krjat
Hey does anybody here have a powermac with 16 GB of RAM? How bout the 1 terabyte (1000 Gigabytes) hard drive? With both of these, the powermac costs about $21,000 including a monitor.
Well, a Terabyte drive doesn't exist...yet. I think you are referring to two 500GB drives. and I have 5GB in my Quad, not close to 16GB, but enough for me, as well as a single 500GB drive and the 7800GT Graphics card, paid $3k for the whole package.

lilford  (op)
Apr 13, 2006, 01:12 AM

God but could you imagine having 16 GB of RAM??? What would you do with it all? Unless you have about 300 programs installed on your computer all running at once, then it would be just about useless. And yes I did mean 2 500 GB Drives, thanks for the corections. lol, nice MrForgetable, I do that all the time whenevr a new computer comes to the apple website I max it out to see what the most expensive is. So far the highest price computer I coulld get was this PowerMac G5 that we are talking about.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2006, 06:15 AM

IIRC, other than high level scientific/math apps, current OS X apps can only address a max of 2-4GB anyways, so the other 12GB would be a HUGE waste of $$$........

me thinks I would rather spend that $$ on some 30" ACD's and other fine stuff
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable
Well, at least I now know I am not the only one that maxs out random computers on the online Apple Store
Everybody does it

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Krjat
Again you are just trying to get your post count up by posting meaningless rubbish. You'v been a member 2-3 days, and you are already a senior member! That would be fine if you were posting something worthwhile, but your not!!

Edit: I see he has been banned, Rejoice!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

SOAPOT
May 11, 2006, 01:26 AM

I have a TB internal, but only 2GB of ram. I have 4 250's (2 of them mounted gingerly with fans above the superdrive hooked up to a sonnet tempo. So it's a 1TB RAID. Pretty solid for HD footage.

merp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by bowwowman
IIRC, other than high level scientific/math apps, current OS X apps can only address a max of 2-4GB anyways, so the other 12GB would be a HUGE waste of $$$........

me thinks I would rather spend that $$ on some 30" ACD's and other fine stuff

any kind of modern data analysis requires stupid amounts of system RAM. For example, I admin a large datacenter, and some of the IDS logs from the mail servers exceed 4GB/min (yes, that's bytes). Even opening these files to analyze requires at least the filesize in RAM, plus about 50% due to data structure overhead.
If engineers ruled the world, the trains might not run on time, but they'd go really fast, and when they derailed, would explode and kill thousands!

Forum Links
Forum Rules