Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is Wealth a top priority?

View Poll Results: How important is money?
Poll Options:
Wealth is a top priority in my life. 8 votes (8.70%)
It's not the #1 priority, but its high on the list. 57 votes (61.96%)
It's not a priority. 27 votes (29.35%)
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll
Is Wealth a top priority? (Page 3)
gargamel123
Jan 25, 2007, 11:04 PM

ITE...From what I have seen at my school it isn't what I would consider a rigorous major.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 11:07 PM

Sad thing is that with housing an health care costs getting out of control, you have little choice but to try and build up wealth just so that maybe one day you can own a home, and one day blow all of your savings on hospital bills.

I earn a pretty decent wage, but if I was to try and buy a house here in the greater DC area, I would be up to my eyeballs in debt. When the average house price is $222k (around $400k here), and the average salary in the US is around $35k, something is wrong! (5 years ago, the average salary wasn't much less, but housing was about half).

Those who have the wealth are squeezing those without it.

gargamel123
Jan 25, 2007, 11:13 PM

I ran up a 50k hospital bill about 2 semesters ago. The hospital was nice about it and they forgave it. They collect donations and such to do this. Once I start making money I plan on donating back to them. I had just about every test known to man done to me. Funny thing was I could set of geiger counters for a few weeks after each visit.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by gargamel123 View Post
I ran up a 50k hospital bill about 2 semesters ago. The hospital was nice about it and they forgave it. They collect donations and such to do this. Once I start making money I plan on donating back to them. I had just about every test known to man done to me. Funny thing was I could set of geiger counters for a few weeks after each visit.

What was your medical condition?

gargamel123
Jan 25, 2007, 11:27 PM

The doctors weren't sure at first they thought it was cancer because the CT scan showed something that needed to be checked out further. It ended up not being cancer but until then I think I hit a low point in life. I later went through test because my gallbladder and everything else in my digestive system was screwed up. They did find out my appendix is situated the opposite the way it should be. I ended up being diagnosed with diverticulitis and IBS and was told to watch out for Chron's as the dr's think I'm at high risk of developing it. I haven't needed to go to the doctor in about a year now but I do have pills to take when I start having pain. Only side effect is my vision goes crazy to the point I can't see very well.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
No it's not. It should be standard. It's sad that you think it's impressive.
I think it is sad that you think people should dedicate their lives to working themselves to the bone physically in addition to working themselves to the bone with their schoolwork while going to school. Should be standard? What a joke. While going to school I worked ~32 hours a week while taking 21-24 credit a semester (including summer). I made a whopping $7/hour 12 hours a week working for the college as a tutor and $12.50/hour working as a janitor in a local middle school 19.5 hours a week (at 20 they are required to give benefits, so they keep part-timers to 19.5). Each month I brought in about $1400 before taxes. 10% went to charity and 15% went to taxes, leaving me with $980 to pay rent, pay for food, pay for gas, pay for school books, supplies and tuition, pay for my auto insurance, etc. Needless to say I could not save $75k in 8 years at that rate. "Should be standard"? You are a joke, and like others have said, you are living in a bubble.

I took 18 credit hours sometimes while working 50+ hours per week, You're just lazy and expect other people to be as well.
Just 18? It looks like you're just lazy.

And why the hell would anyone work for $8.50/hr. McDonalds pays more than that.
Like others have pointed out, McDonalds pays lower than that as does most part time jobs that college students have. At my college they started you out at $6.50 an hour to work the kitchens and pretty much everything else.

Originally Posted by Railroader
You made up numbers to suit your intentions. The truth hurts you too much.
The numbers I gave were low averages.

Originally Posted by Railroader
$30k is easy while in school too. Just because you are afraid of work doesn't mean others are.

His house is no mansion, but it's paid for. All he has to do is pay the utilities and property taxes.

I just hope you aren't an example of the youth of today.
Sorry pal, but I am not a youth. You live in a different world than most, and it seems that you are the one having a hard time with reality. Sure, you got where you are, and good for you. It doesn't mean that everyone could (or should) do it.

That's all I will say in this thread... it's been fun, but you have your blinders firmly on and refuse to see that not everyone has the fortune of having so many opportunities. Throughout this whole thread it seems that you are the only one that could have truly answered "Yes" to the question as wealth being your priority. Good for you. Work your 100 hour weeks and when your wife leaves you and your kids forget who you are at least you'll have your money and the knowledge that you "worked hard" for it. (Talk to the people that do manual labor digging ditches for 50 years and then get back us on that "hard work" you did by the way. Oh yeah, and then call them lazy because they don't make as much money as you.)

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Throughout this whole thread it seems that you are the only one that could have truly answered "Yes" to the question as wealth being your priority. Good for you. Work your 100 hour weeks and when your wife leaves you and your kids forget who you are at least you'll have your money and the knowledge that you "worked hard" for it. (Talk to the people that do manual labor digging ditches for 50 years and then get back us on that "hard work" you did by the way. Oh yeah, and then call them lazy because they don't make as much money as you.)
I already proved you wrong on everything else, so I'll only address this one point. And prove you wrong again...

I am 35.

I am retired.

I am going to school for "fun".

I am away from my home and wife 15 hours per week.

I worked hard when I was young so I can coast and spend time with my family now.

Enjoy your debt and owning people money your whole life.

Oh, I did manual labor. I worked in a factory on an assembly line for a little over a year. While in school. I worked with some people who had done it for 40+ years. They are a lot smarter than you.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 01:12 AM

ITE...From what I have seen at my school it isn't what I would consider a rigorous major.
Your school is sub-standard then.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 01:19 AM

Why not work and go to school?

Justify your debt however you want. You'll still be owing someone money and in my mind that is a very bad thing. I'll admit that it is my opinion.

Some people have no problem owing people money. Mainstream thinking. Not me.

Some people like loaning people money and making money. Still not me.

Some people have patience and work hard for what they have accomplished without debt. Me.

You can stay in the mainstream, you seem comfortable there. I am on a different path than most people, I'll admit that.
Suze Orzman, a financial famous advisor chick, says to go gung ho on student loans, because the interest is so low it's almost like a free loan. So.... yeah. Loans aren't a bad thing, for school. Higher education increases your salary like nothing else, and almost always pays for itself many many times during your lifetime. It took me a while to figure out what i want to do, but now I'm happy in the ID world.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Railroader, I think you have to admit that your circumstances at present (making out well with a good retirement package) are not equal to most college students. It's like saying everyone should just drop out of college and become a millionaire because Bill Gates did it.

And you must have made out very very well! Good luck with the teaching, it's a good thing you have that basket of nest eggs. (husband is a teacher)
Yes, I would like classes by railroader on how I can afford to pay cash for an industrial design school, all of which are about $20+per year on up. So that's only at least $80,000 in tuition for 4 years.... so I'd like to know how the 'average' kid can come up with $80,000 before going to school. That'd be swell.

As for my loans, they're not too bad, because I got a phat scholarship. I'm sure they'll suck, they'll probably be at least 30-40 grand, but whatever. I don't spend a ton of money on much, and I'll be making bank in a few years anyway... so... it's not worth worrying about. In the words of Harold and Kumar, "the universe tends to unfold as it should".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Suze Orzman, a financial famous advisor chick, says to go gung ho on student loans, because the interest is so low it's almost like a free loan. So.... yeah. Loans aren't a bad thing, for school. Higher education increases your salary like nothing else, and almost always pays for itself many many times during your lifetime. It took me a while to figure out what i want to do, but now I'm happy in the ID world.

ID? You do scientific study of Intelligent Design?

gargamel123
Jan 26, 2007, 01:56 AM

Your school is sub-standard then.
Sorry to say most schools I have been to it isn't a very hard major. It is nowhere as hard as several of the other majors offered. The engineering classes I have had in the past at other schools I could always finish stuff in class and it was never hard. But I haven't foiund a hard class yet the only difference is the amount of work required outside of class. The people that complain about classes being hard are the ones that don't put the time into them.

Similar to those that complain about debt load. I don't care if I'm in 30k in debt because that can be paid off in no time once I get a job. I have had people offer me 60k a year to work and I turn them down citing that I can get paid a lot more doing something that is even better. I'm going into exploration/economic geology and having a specialty in that is worth about double what I was offered. It is just that here in the heart of the midwest wages are depressed. That is part of the reason I'm moving westward. I have had offers from UNLV to go to grad school there at no cost and get paid for being a TA or RA at a rate of 1800 per month. That money is for doing about 5 hours of work per week. Do I plan on having another job while there, not at all. I have also had similar but smaller amounts offered from UNR but I'm not sure I want to be in Reno. While I'm going to grad school I'm going to only work for the school and maybe do a few maps for companies when asked.

Why are you so fixated on people having debt coming out of college. I do believe education should be offered for free to anyone that wants it as this is the basis of any solid economy. Until that happens the govt and many private lenders offer low cost loans to students. I guess being raised in different times I have no problem owing money to someone. I just don't care as long as I can do what I love and have what I want. If I can pay for it it doesn't matter.

I will let you know my debt so you can have fun with it. 30k or so in loans for school, a few thousand for books on credit cards, only a few hundred left on hospital bills after having several thousand, and a car loan which won't be a factor in a few months. The hospital bills are being payed off first as that will free up a lot of money then the CC's. CC's will be most of the way payed off during this semester since not much is on them. Everything is under control right now so I won't complain. Even if things get out of control I can't complain because I got myself into the situation. It is something called responsibility which it seems most people are lacking nowadays.

Railroader I hope you enjoyed this post and I hope you have a good day. I'm done with this thread since it seems you don't want to listen to what anyone tells you about wages. Wages are not the same across the country and many places are much lower.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 02:45 AM

Enjoy your debt and owning people money your whole life.
Okay Railroader, you've had your say. It's time to move on in this thread. I'm actually interested in it, and it isn't yours to take over.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 10:37 AM

So Railroader, what is your wife's career? Did you help pay for her schooling too?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 11:39 AM

Yes. Must be easy to retire at 35 when your wife is still working.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 11:52 AM

Yes. Must be easy to retire at 35 when your wife is still working.
I could have you and your Mrs retired by 30 if you want. Remember the little design challenge I set you six months back?

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 12:22 PM

Wealth is the #2 priority in my life, right under love and happiness.

Everyone would ideally like to have enough money to do whatever they want with no headaches what so ever. I'm talking like 50 million minimum. That amount at which you can no longer feel stress, and you can buy anything and go anywhere, and do anything.

I plan to become a multi-multi millionare and possibly a billionare. I'd like to have 50 million dollars by the time i'm 30. That would be a good life.

And we can do without all the dream crushing. You guys keep your wise ass sarcastic comments to yourself, and i'll keep my vision of the future. Ok?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post

Everyone would ideally like to have enough money to do whatever they want with no headaches what so ever. I'm talking like 50 million minimum. That amount at which you can no longer feel stress, and you can buy anything and go anywhere, and do anything.

I plan to become a multi-multi millionare and possibly a billionare. I'd like to have 50 million dollars by the time i'm 30. That would be a good life.

And we can do without all the dream crushing. You guys keep your wise ass sarcastic comments to yourself, and i'll keep my vision of the future. Ok?

Having dreams is very cool, I wish that this will come true for you!

With all that money, will you do me a favor though? I'd like to see this money subsidize The Secret Garden 2... I've been working on a killer script.

Cool?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post

Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I could have you and your Mrs retired by 30 if you want. Remember the little design challenge I set you six months back?
No?

kc311v2
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2007, 12:49 PM

My philosophy:

Wealth is a measure of one's ability to provide certain needs and wants for him/herself without receiving any emotional, physical, and/or psychological consequences from those needs and wants.

In other words, to me, only a wise person can be wealthy. An unwise person is sooner "poorer" than they were rich. I hope this makes sense to all of you.

I voted that wealth was among my top priorities, but it was not at the top of the list. Being able to provide for yourself and to your loved ones the things they need (food, shelther, clothing, and education in a family of love and support) is far more important than providing them with things that make them feel rich, "comfortable", and "loved".

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 12:50 PM

I don't get why you guys would want that much money. I used to be part of a pretty rich family, I lived in a multi-million dollar home, we went vacationing to hawaii all the time, we had everything..jet skis... boats.... mercedeses... people came and mowed the lawn, sprayed the lawn, trimmed the bushes, cleaned the house, we even had a lady that came once a week to take care of plants. You might think all that sound nice, but it wasn't. The family was very ****ed up, a lot of people had drug problems (some of my brother in laws... one of which died, and I posted about on these very forums)... you might SAY you want a lot of money, but I've lived in one of those families, and I can assure you that being 'comfortable' in the middle class is a much better life.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I swear these mock motivational pics are making a come-back.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 01:29 PM

This thread reminds me of something I put on my web page:

An Economist was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The Economist complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The Mexican replied, "Only a little while."

The Economist then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish. The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs.

The Economist then asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor."

The Economist scoffed, "I have degrees in Economics from Harvard, Chicago and Stanford and experience in development working with the World Bank. I could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But senor, how long will this all take?"

To which the Economist replied, "15-20 years."

"But what then, senor?"

The Economist laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions, senor? Then what?"

The Economist said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 01:33 PM

I think striving for no debt is a good goal, but I think mortgaging your present life to avoid debt, seems as folly as mortgaging your future life with debt to avoid doing some work now.

There's got to be a happy medium somewhere.

Sealobo
Jan 26, 2007, 01:41 PM

Wealth is a double-edged sword. Handle it wisely you can solve many problems in your life and that will allow you to focus on the most important matters. Otherwise, wealth could rotten your soul.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Thank you for that, I like it. I'm going to save that somewhere.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by DakarĀ² View Post
I think striving for no debt is a good goal, but I think mortgaging your present life to avoid debt, seems as folly as mortgaging your future life with debt to avoid doing some work now.

How rational of you.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 02:08 PM

And I suddenly wonder if you have a Dakar scrapbook in your dorm room.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 02:17 PM

I never forget.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I never forget.
That makes you either an elephant or a 9/11 Republican. (which coincidentally...)

andi*pandi
Jan 26, 2007, 02:18 PM

I don't get why you guys would want that much money. .... <snip>..... The family was very ****ed up...... you might SAY you want a lot of money, but I've lived in one of those families, and I can assure you that being 'comfortable' in the middle class is a much better life.
ah, but we'd all manage to avoid any of those problems. We'd be different. Right?

It's almost like people have to have SOME problems in life. Rich enough that you don't have to worry about the rent being paid, layoffs, or unexpected hospital bills? Then develop a drug problem, gambling problem, petty jealousy, have an affair, gotta do something to eff it up. Then you can be poor again and worry about the rent like regular folk.

Middle class isn't a bad place to be. But there are worries.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 07:21 PM

happiness is priority, so i voted the last option.

if you need to work twice as hard to achieve twice as much, you suck
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 07:40 PM

So Railroader, what is your wife's career? Did you help pay for her schooling too?
1st grade teacher. She could retire as well, but she loves her job and likes having the extra spending money. I've begged her to quit, but, and I agree with this, it keeps her social and "adult".
Sorry to say most schools I have been to it isn't a very hard major. It is nowhere as hard as several of the other majors offered.
At the university I attend it is a difficult major. You have to take the weed-out course and another course from each of the engineering majors. Automotive, Plastics, Mechanical, Electrical, Wood, ID, and transportation. And that includes all of the prerequisites. In addition, you also have to take graduate level education classes for this major. And carry a minor in an academic field such as mathematic, English, History...

There are only about 10-12 people with that major and there's less and less all of the time. One big drawback, low wages in the field.
Similar to those that complain about debt load. I don't care if I'm in 30k in debt because that can be paid off in no time once I get a job.
I've heard that one before.
Why are you so fixated on people having debt coming out of college.
Wy are people fixated on having debt?
I will let you know my debt so you can have fun with it.
I couldn't care less.
Railroader I hope you enjoyed this post
Meh.
and I hope you have a good day.
You too.
I'm done with this thread since it seems you don't want to listen to what anyone tells you about wages. Wages are not the same across the country and many places are much lower.
Hmm... I am in the middle of Michigan where Delphi and GM are closing factories, Ford released huge losses... You can't get much lower wages that Michigan these days. It's becoming attractive to new businesses because they can hire workers so low.
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Some people don't want the help Doofy. I think the replies to my posts are indicative of that.

Hmm... I worked HARD for about 10 years. I now have about 50 years of leisure. I wouldn't change a thing.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 07:52 PM

Hmm... I worked HARD for about 10 years. I now have about 50 years of leisure. I wouldn't change a thing.
That's good, I just hope you don't die of a stroke in 25.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 08:28 PM

That's good, I just hope you don't die of a stroke in 25.
What kind of post is that?

I know, I'll respond in kind.

I just hope you don't die of [FILL IN THE BLANK] cancer in 2.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 09:25 PM

What kind of post is that?

I know, I'll respond in kind.

I just hope you don't die of [FILL IN THE BLANK] cancer in 2.
I think his point was that some people consider their youth too valuable to throw away in exchange for years that aren't guaranteed. For instance, neither of my maternal grandparents made it halfway through their 60s.
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 10:04 PM

I think his point was that some people consider their youth too valuable to throw away in exchange for years that aren't guaranteed. For instance, neither of my maternal grandparents made it halfway through their 60s.
I have experiences that most youths playing video games hours a day will never have. I worked hard, but I also had fun at work.

Oh well. Be lazy in youth, you'll have to work hard sooner or later.

I'd much rather be able to work hard when I am young then go through it when I was older.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 10:24 PM

I have experiences that most youths playing video games hours a day will never have. I worked hard, but I also had fun at work.

Oh well. Be lazy in youth, you'll have to work hard sooner or later.

I'd much rather be able to work hard when I am young then go through it when I was older.
Why? Because it's so much harder to find opportunities for fun when you're younger? Because being active is just so much easier as you get older, so you should get all of the pointless drudgework done when you're young and virile? Why is it better to frontload your work? (I'm honestly curious why you think so. It doesn't really make sense to me.)
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 10:35 PM

Why? Because it's so much harder to find opportunities for fun when you're younger?
Huh, I don't understand you here.

Because being active is just so much easier as you get older, so you should get all of the pointless drudgework done when you're young and virile?
You have a lot more to be responsible for later. I am glad I worked hard when I was young. I now have more time with my kids. Most people at my age are shuttling between work and picking their kids up at day care where someone else is raising their kids. I want to raise my kids, not someone else.

Why is it better to frontload your work? (I'm honestly curious why you think so. It doesn't really make sense to me.)
It's called return on investment.

Put a lot in early (work), reap great rewards (leisure) sooner.

Put tiny amounts in and never be able, or have lesser rewards, to reap come harvest.

If after all this time in this thread if you don't understand it yet, then I just don't think you're going to get it.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 10:48 PM

Why? Because it's so much harder to find opportunities for fun when you're younger? Because being active is just so much easier as you get older, so you should get all of the pointless drudgework done when you're young and virile? Why is it better to frontload your work? (I'm honestly curious why you think so. It doesn't really make sense to me.)
Didn't Railroader say he was 35? What is all this younger/older stuff? 35 is still relatively young actually. You're talking like he's 65 and ready for the home. He made the choice that was best for him, you make the choice that's best for you. There's not a universal truth IMO.

I have a strange feeling that the investments Railroader made were placed in tech stocks and withdrawn just before the crash. At least that's my guess. If that's not true Railroader would you mind sending me a PM with your stock choices?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 10:48 PM

This isn't directed at any one person, but I don't understand when people act as though money corrupts all that is good and just makes you miserable.

I need money to be happy in life. Others may not, but I do. Vacations? Money. Education? Money. Gym membership? Money. Computer and Internet? Money. Drum set? Money.

And these are only the basic things. Traveling to see my family halfway around the world? Lots of money...

You get the picture.

And RailRoader, I'm sure everyone is wondering the same question:
What exactly did you do to get SO far ahead? People work hard their whole lives and still live in a dump, so part of it must be luck/intelligence.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post

What exactly did you do to get SO far ahead? People work hard their whole lives and still live in a dump, so part of it must be luck/intelligence.
He already posted it in this thread.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Didn't Railroader say he was 35? What is all this younger/older stuff? 35 is still relatively young actually. You're talking like he's 65 and ready for the home. He made the choice that was best for him, you make the choice that's best for you. There's not a universal truth IMO.

I have a strange feeling that the investments Railroader made were placed in tech stocks and withdrawn just before the crash. At least that's my guess. If that's not true Railroader would you mind sending me a PM with your stock choices?
I am 35.

I invested quite conservatively. I had a little in tech stocks, about 20%, but for the most part my money has always been invested in fortune 500 and growth and income mutual funds. I am NOT a day trader or trend follower when it comes to investing. I consider that gambling and a risk I am not willing to take.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 10:59 PM

This isn't directed at any one person, but I don't understand when people act as though money corrupts all that is good and just makes you miserable.

I need money to be happy in life. Others may not, but I do. Vacations? Money. Education? Money. Gym membership? Money. Computer and Internet? Money. Drum set? Money.

And these are only the basic things. Traveling to see my family halfway around the world? Lots of money...

You get the picture.
I don't think that money "corrupts" you. I think if you're a happy person without money you'll be a happy person if you suddenly get rich. Conversely, suddenly getting rich won't necessarily make a miserable person happy. The money itself isn't some evil force.

I think that one just needs to keep materialism under control--if you find yourself responding too much to marketing campaigns and buying a lot of stuff then I think you have to ask yourself what you are being distracted from. There was a guy a little while ago that posted/bragged he bought 23 ipods. IMO, that man might have some issues with distracting himself with things. I'm not saying such a man is a bad person, its just maybe there's a better way to live your life.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 11:04 PM

Nothing special. I just spent very little money, saved every penny I could, and worked every hour I could until I had a wife and family.

Here's a tip that's helped everyone I have ever known who has followed it: Keep track of EVERY penny you spend. You'd be amazed at how quickly the cost of a candy bar and a pop every day adds up.

$2.50 a day = $912.50/year

Invest $912.50/year at 10% return on investment for 10 years = $18,354

And that's just a candy bar and a pop a day.

Do a pack of cigarettes a day at $5 and you = $36,708

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 11:05 PM

Didn't Railroader say he was 35? What is all this younger/older stuff? 35 is still relatively young actually. You're talking like he's 65 and ready for the home.
Relative to 65, yes, 35 is young. Relative to young, it isn't. (Quick and easy test for the presence of Young: If somebody said, "I just moved out of my parents' house and I'm X years old," what would you think?)
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jan 26, 2007 at 11:11 PM. )
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 11:20 PM

Relative to 65, yes, 35 is young. Relative to young, it isn't. (Quick and easy test for the presence of Young: If somebody said, "I just moved out of my parents' house and I'm X years old," what would you think?)
Today? I'd think 23 years old.

When I was "young", it was 20.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 01:02 AM

I've known people richer than everyone on this board combined (or close at $500mil-$1bil). They weren't any happier than me as far as I can tell. They were nice people, though.

I've known people who were worth 3-10 million and they were downright miserable and nasty human beings.

I've known poor people happier than all of them.

Bottom line: I don't care how much money people have or don't have. if you don't know how to be happy it won't matter. If you keep thinking more money will do it (or that wealthy people are happier) I will once again direct you to the fact that most of you are probably in the top %5 of the wealthiest people on the planet, and the western world is rife with depression and bitterness.

I'm thrilled to be a poor social worker. It beats my decade as a well paid IT guy.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by kc311v2 View Post
In other words, to me, only a wise person can be wealthy. An unwise person is sooner "poorer" than they were rich. I hope this makes sense to all of you.
Boy is the world and history replete with examples that blow that theory out of the water.

[Emphasis mine]

I think that's the key point here. Railroader thinks his philosophy is the only one or at least the best one, and it's not. I do believe there is a universal truth, BTW (I believe in objective truth), but I believe that there are many paths to truth and that a philosophy of life must be trailered specifically by and for each individual, not copied from another's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules