Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Application Fragments--not allowed to delete

Application Fragments--not allowed to delete
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 09:16 AM

Some time ago I downloaded the trial version of photoshop CS3. It expired and I uninstalled it using the uninstaller that came with it. However, fragments of this application remain all over my hard drive. I searched for and deleted them but there are a few files that when I try to click on them and drag the to the trash I get an error message. It reads. . "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficent privileges for "AdobePhotoshopAll.proxy.hml"--along with other file types. Does anyone know how I can get these files into the trash and deleted? I checked out the uninstallation sticky on the top of the forum and it didn't seem to address this issue that I could discern. Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2008, 10:05 AM

You can sudo rm in the Terminal, or there are a number of file deletion utilities you can find on versiontracker that would help you do the same thing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Feb 3, 2008, 12:30 PM

It'd be interesting to know what permissions Adobe set for those. You could cmd-I on the files and see. It may let you change ownership, then delete.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
It'd be interesting to know what permissions Adobe set for those. You could cmd-I on the files and see. It may let you change ownership, then delete.
Thanks--the permissions are set to read & write and I am the owner. The menu is grayed out so I can't change it anything. very odd.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2008, 09:12 AM

Just for future reference, I discovered a solution--kind of. Adobe has a script on their website specifically for cases where the uninstaller fails to remove all the files. It came with warnings to back up everything on my hard drive, which I did. I ran it and everything came off my computer(including the files that said I didn't have permission to move to the trash!) allowing me to re-install the full version of Photoshop without a conflict. Happy day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules