Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Why wont Hillary quit?

Why wont Hillary quit? (Page 5)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Oh, I think we agree on more than you think…
Ahhh, you like to play devil's advocate more than you let on?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2008, 05:32 PM

The Comeback Id: Politics & Power: vanityfair.com
Article basically slams Bill Clinton.

Over the last few years, aides have winced at repeated tabloid reports about Clinton’s episodic friendship and occasional dinners out with Belinda Stronach, a twice-divorced billionaire auto-parts heiress and member of the Canadian Parliament 20 years his junior, or at more recent high-end Hollywood dinner-party gossip that Clinton has been seen visiting with the actress Gina Gershon in California. There has been talk of a female friend in Chappaqua, a woman in a bar at a meeting of the Aspen Institute, and a public sighting of Clinton, Bing, and a ravishing entourage in a New York elevator that, a former Clinton aide told me, led a business leader who saw them to say: I don’t know what the guy was doing, but it was so clear that it was just no good.

None of these wisps of smoke have produced a public fire. But four former Clinton aides told me that, about 18 months ago, one of the president’s former assistants, who still advises him on political matters, had heard so many complaints about such reports from Clinton supporters around the country that he felt compelled to try to conduct what one of these aides called an “intervention,” because, the aide believed, “Clinton was apparently seeing a lot of women on the road.”
lol. Now I really want Hillary to get elected. Just to see the circus that ensues when Bill is caught with another chic or two and Hillary tries to act surprised and disappointed in a news conference.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 05:49 PM

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm not sure how this is in response to my post about teachers, but I do agree with this...
Sorry, thought this thread was about Clinton.

WRT education, many of the problems have to do with budgets and the way administrators handle them. Here's a true example: My mother was a teacher in this county for 10 years after earning a BA and MA in Special Education (she works with severely emotionally handicapped kids). My dad's job moved them away for a few years and then he quit and they moved back. She went to apply to the school system here, but they wouldn't hire her because it would be too expensive (she now had a Master's and 15 years of teaching experience) compared to someone with just a BA and no experience. Which teacher do you think the parents would choose (ignoring the fact that these kids are emotionally handicapped because they have lousy parents)? I've talked to some other people in the school system here, and that type of thing is common - choosing cheap over education and experience.

(She now drives to another county that hired her because they had a teacher shortage and didn't have a cheaper person to use. However, she's not using any of her education or experience, as she's teaching "normal" kids, so her specific talents are largely being wasted.)

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Wow, I just now noticed that ol' Bill has bitch-tits.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Which teacher do you think the parents would choose (ignoring the fact that these kids are emotionally handicapped because they have lousy parents)? I've talked to some other people in the school system here, and that type of thing is common - choosing cheap over education and experience.
If that's a serious question, it depends. Many places voters keep striking down education funding - I doubt the school board would have done this were they not under severe funding restrictions.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Many places voters keep striking down education funding
A problem that democracies face - selfish and shortsighted populations. My neighbor is against increasing school funding, but he didn't used to be. Know what changed? His kids are all out of high school now.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 11:25 AM

A good reason to give kids the vote. They are the last major group to remain disenfranchised.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2008, 12:36 PM

Until inanimate objects get their rights.

Hillary wont quit until she gets her money back.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 01:16 PM

Wow, I just now noticed that ol' Bill has bitch-tits.

You're supposed to cock-block before the other guy scores.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 01:22 PM

Clinton set to concede delegate race to Obama - Yahoo! News

By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer 15 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton will concede Tuesday night that Barack Obama has the delegates to secure the Democratic nomination, campaign officials said, effectively ending her bid to be the nation's first female president.
Superdelegates surge to Obama - Mike Allen - Politico.com
By MIKE ALLEN | 6/3/08 11:04 AM EST Updated: 6/3/08 12:25 PM EST
Text Size:

A tsunami of superdelegates is poised to rush to Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) over the next 12 hours, giving him a mathematical lock on his party’s presidential nomination.

The superdelegate surge is likely to swamp a few holdouts within the camp of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) who have been resisting a prompt concession.

Aides say Clinton does not plan to concede or bid supporters farewell when she speaks in New York tonight, but instead will salute her supporters and argue for the strength of her candidacy.
45/47

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 01:26 PM

I also read the campaign denied that she would concede.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 01:38 PM

AP TALLY: OBAMA CLINCHES
To paraphrase Howard Cosell
Down goes Clinton, Down goes Clinton
AP tally: Obama clinches Democratic nomination
WASHINGTON (AP) - Barack Obama effectively clinched the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday, based on an Associated Press tally of convention delegates, becoming the first black candidate ever to lead his party into a fall campaign for the White House.
45/47

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 02:01 PM

She's going to concede

Aaaand that's a wrap. See y'all over at the Hussein and McCain threads. It's been fun!

edit: didn't notice Homer had called it already. Ah well, on to the big show!
( Last edited by paul w; Jun 3, 2008 at 02:13 PM. )

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 02:52 PM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 03:19 PM

wallinbi: he said that she won't concede until Obama is declared mathematical victor, which hasn't officially happened yet, but will later tonight or tomorrow.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 03:19 PM

If she can't make her case to the superdelegates and still believes she has the popular vote--does anyone think there is a chance she could break with the Democratic party and run independently?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 03:20 PM

Joining all the reports together: It sounds like Hillary is going to concede, but she isn't going to call it "conceding" because she's hypercompetitive to the point of obsession.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 03:42 PM

Maybe the leak was folks on the campaign tired of working themselves into the ground for a meaningless fight.

Maybe Bill just wants his wife back.

I dunno, we'll just have to wait and see....

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
If she can't make her case to the superdelegates and still believes she has the popular vote--does anyone think there is a chance she could break with the Democratic party and run independently?
No. She's wealthy, but not that wealthy. Running as an independent costs much more, hundreds of millions, and without the Democratic fundraising apparatus she couldn't raise it. A failed run would kill her political future, too, whereas conceding now and supporting Obama lets her try again another day.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Maybe the leak was folks on the campaign tired of working themselves into the ground for a meaningless fight.

Maybe Bill just wants his wife back.

I dunno, we'll just have to wait and see....
Yeah, I bet.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 04:39 PM

There are reports that she would be open to a VP spot. I'm starting to think that that's exactly what will happen...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 04:45 PM

I was hoping for General Clark as VP.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 05:25 PM

Obama doesn't want Bill as a VP, end of story.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2008, 05:30 PM

Senate majority leader Harry Reid said that Obama should NOT choose another Senator as a running mate... I agree. Im guessing it will be a Southerner, with military experience.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 07:02 PM

I think the days of old school ticket balancing are pretty much over.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 08:42 AM

Obama HAS mentioned Tom Daschle in a conversation about VP's. I hope he picks him. Nothing says "change" like a tired old douche-bag of a nearly 30 year politician.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 08:47 AM

Wow, I really thought that Clinton would concede last night. Even less classy than I had suspected.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Wow, I really thought that Clinton would concede last night. Even less classy than I had suspected.
Well it's a pretty close victory and there is plenty of time for Obama to shoot himself in the foot. It ain't over 'till the convention.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 09:33 AM

She has a compelling argument in that he'll need her support ot win it - especially in the swing states she won in the primaries.

But watching both of their speeches, it was painfully clear who the winner was, and why I'm glad it's not her.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 10:44 AM

I think she will probably wait at least a day for the hubbub surrounding Obama's victory to subside, so that when she does concede, it'll be in the spotlight rather than off to the side.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 11:33 AM

Ya think Obama and Hillary mentioned Israel enough times in today's speeches?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 11:39 AM

Well it's a pretty close victory and there is plenty of time for Obama to shoot himself in the foot. It ain't over 'till the convention.
It was mentioned in another thread that "there a tape of one of the Obamas using the word "whitey""

It's a hoax
( Last edited by Chongo; Jun 4, 2008 at 12:01 PM. )
45/47

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 11:53 AM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 12:06 PM

She has a compelling argument in that he'll need her support ot win it - especially in the swing states she won in the primaries.
I'm not sure how. Is she saying, "Those people voted for me only because they hate Obama so passionately?" That's the only way it seems likely that they'd vote for Hillary in the primary but not vote for Obama in the election. If that's the case, wouldn't they rather vote for McCain even if Hillary is up for VP?
Chuck
___

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Ya think Obama and Hillary mentioned Israel enough times in today's speeches?
Weren't they both addressing AIPAC? That would be a good reason.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 09:20 PM

She also has the compelling argument of having won the popular vote, even when giving all Michigan's "uncommitted" votes to Obama.

I guess popular vote doesn't count in the Democrat party anymore. So much for the big stink over the 2000 election.

And how 'bout them Democrats counting Michigan and Florida votes as 1/2? That's even worse than the old method of counting each black person as 3/5.

Obama will get schooled if he takes McCain up on the town hall tour initiative. I bet he won't, because his people know he's a nightmare when off teleprompter.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
She also has the compelling argument of having won the popular vote.
Except she hasn't, and even if she has, it's absolutely meaningless.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Except she hasn't, and even if she has, it's absolutely meaningless.
As per the Democrat rules, along with the Dean rules, you're right. Democrats do not care about the popular vote.

Nobody knows she won the popular vote because it's not part of the Obama narrative, and the if it's not in the narrative, mass media will not cover it. It's as if it is a secret. But yes, when all the votes are tallied, Hillary won more.

You have an illegitimate candidate who was selected, not elected. And he's a nightmare without his speechwriters. I'm sure his people will duck the McCain town hall idea, or at least add so many conditions to the events so that Obama's ignorance is not exposed. Sort of how Obama refused to debate Clinton after the one and only national broadcast debate in Philadelphia.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 09:35 PM

She also has the compelling argument of having won the popular vote
Not unless you count states that didn't hold legitimate primaries. If anything we decide to call a primary counts whether or not we follow the rules for holding one, count in an extra 5 million votes for Obama from me.
Chuck
___

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 09:40 PM

Those primaries were 100% legitimate and legal. Both states knew there was a primary, all the polling places were staffed and operating, and 1.7 million Democrats cast a vote. State election boards certified the results, and they've been signed into record. There's absolutely nothing illegitimate about that.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 09:46 PM

As per the Democrat rules, along with the Dean rules, you're right. Democrats do not care about the popular vote.

Nobody knows she won the popular vote because it's not part of the Obama narrative, and the if it's not in the narrative, mass media will not cover it. It's as if it is a secret. But yes, when all the votes are tallied, Hillary won more.

You have an illegitimate candidate who was selected, not elected. And he's a nightmare without his speechwriters. I'm sure his people will duck the McCain town hall idea, or at least add so many conditions to the events so that Obama's ignorance is not exposed. Sort of how Obama refused to debate Clinton after the one and only national broadcast debate in Philadelphia.

I repeat: she did NOT win the popular vote. Her tally does not account for caucus states, and even then this is a very problematic claim due to some states/districts not releasing caucus state vote totals, some states were open while others were closed, and independent registered voters are handled differently. Republicans don't care about the popular vote totals in the primaries either because they are meaningless - I repeat: meaningless.

Obama writes many, if not all of his own speeches, not that this matters to you. I'm sure you'll find something else for you and your gut feelings to cling to.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jun 4, 2008 at 09:56 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 09:48 PM

Those primaries were 100% legitimate and legal. Both states knew there was a primary, all the polling places were staffed and operating, and 1.7 million Democrats cast a vote. State election boards certified the results, and they've been signed into record. There's absolutely nothing illegitimate about that.
Are you really not aware of the circumstances? Haven't these been drilled into us by every media outlet, every story relating to the primary delegate count, etc.? Care to address this? Your gut feeling is predictable enough that we don't need to be reminded of it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 09:51 PM

If you're going to ignore the rules a primary has to follow, sure. Just like my script that just printed "I VOTE FOR OBAMA" 5 million times. It's totally legitimate if you don't count the rules.

Oh, wait, I think I'm going to have Ronald Reagan beat Hillary in the Democratic primary too. Give me a second to modify the script.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 09:58 PM

What's amazing is that people like spacefreak rail against what the Democrats did in handling these two states when, as it turns out, the Democrats ended up doing the same thing the Republicans did from the start.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 10:42 PM

What's amazing is that Obama has to hire 400 bloggers to work the web and steer public perception (ie. deceive).
( Last edited by spacefreak; Jun 4, 2008 at 10:52 PM. )

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
If you're going to ignore the rules a primary has to follow, sure.
States determine their primary dates. Other than electing their state officials, individual voters have no way to change what date their state chooses to hold their primary election.

Ultimately, the DNC had to not count votes to hand the nomination to Obama.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 10:50 PM

on to the next topic, I see...

Well, it was fun, as always...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 10:57 PM

What's amazing is that Obama has to hire 400 bloggers to work the web and steer public perception (ie. deceive).
How does that compare to hiring military analysts to steer public perception? Perhaps Obama has more experience at being a politician than anyone gives him credit for.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 10:59 PM

What, does Obama require time limits on each thread?

Curious, these 400 or so bloggers being paid by Obama... do they get paid per post, per site, or both? Does extra cursing, Bush-bashing, repeated claims of dire economic times, or the misportrayal of McCain as GWB2 get one a bonus?
( Last edited by spacefreak; Jun 4, 2008 at 11:08 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules