Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > DayZ

DayZ
sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2012, 11:44 AM

We all know that I'm a sucker for survival/horror games, and that I also have a soft spot for anything with zombies, so after hearing about DayZ for a little while now (and seeing Yahtzee give it approval) I decided to see what all the fuss is about.

First off my iMac is on the very lowest end of being able to run this game (it's a mod for ArmA 2), and even at very low settings I will only see 20 FPS at most. Still not unplayable, and the nature of the control of ArmA isn't very fast-paced anyways so I find it acceptable. The "map" is humongous, and is referred to as a "continent" in ArmA. This certainly feels like the correct nomenclature, because you'd have to run full bore for 30 minutes to make it from the coastal areas (where you spawn) to anything remotely useful slightly inland. The difficulty and ruthlessness is what drew me in. You die, you are dead, you can respawn but you are back at the coast with nothing. By nothing I mean a backpack, some painkillers, one bandage and some flares. The first concerns are not weapons, but getting some food and drink, as making it sufficiently inland without these items is impossible. This means exploring buildings, which are located in small, medium, and very large towns and cities. These towns are always surrounded by zombies, who when given a whiff of you will chase without giving up for a very long time. Of course all this is manageable with crouching and prone-ing your way around town carefully. The X factor is other players, who can decide to kill you and take your stuff, or be helpful and band together (the former being more prevalent). A good rule of thumb is to stay the hell away from other players, and avoid them like the plague whenever possible. I watched some videos and the tactic seems to be: Find town, get necessities, get the hell into the woods as fast as possible. Armed with rudimentary knowledge I present you with my first experiences.

Spawned at the coast, it's night, and since the game has a true 24-hour day/night cycle I'm in the dark for the long haul. Spot a medical tented area nearby. I send a global message out, explain I'm a newb and describe my surroundings. Few nice folks give me tips, as they know where I am (kinda scary) and I begin to slither my way around the camp. Get spotted by the undead climbing a ladder, great, I'm done for. Area has an UZI and two mags, holy crap. Zombies climb ladders, whole horde start attacking me, burn all ammo but manage to kill them all, losing blood I bandage myself. Chatter about a guy in a heli, I ask for a ride half-joking.....time goes by and I hear the chopper, gotta get outside the medical area, alert another zombie, get killed just as the heli lands a stonesthrow away from me. Well, that was intense and unexpected....I'm already hooked.

Second spawn, near a lighthouse, climb up and fall off the edge, both my legs break, dead......that's more like it.

Spawn near coastal town, medium size, still night. Crawl my ass around some more and find a hatchet, which is actually very damn useful at the start, can kill zombies without making noise and alerting more. Next step is food and water and then I'm running into the freaking woods. Slither into a storage building by the dock, admin messages everyone saying the server is getting restarted in 5minutes, so I wait. Reconnect and it's daytime (a lucky break, but probably a glitch). Slither further in the town. All of a sudden Zombies start freaking out all over town, crap, they saw me and I am truly screwed. Zombies run past me in large groups, huh, car drives through the town honking its horn, the horde follows after them clearing out a few areas. Wow, another lucky break. Quickly scavenge and find a soda can and some food....peace out jerkfaces. Run to the nearest tree-line with great haste and make my way inland.

Stumble upon a hunting perch, filled with assorted ammo and a hunting knife (for recovering meat from animals) not bad. Head deeper into the woods and run, and run, and run...30 minutes later (no joke) I find a barn (!) Barns are likely to have weapons and this one didn't disappoint, double-barrel shotgun and about 6 rounds, not bad at all. Run back into the woods (anywhere with useful stuff means the possibility of running into other players) and collect my thoughts. At this point I'm probably into the game for about an hour. I have a weapon with ammo, food, drink, and some other assorted survival items. At this point this is considered a win for a newb like me, to even have made it off the coast is no small feat. I kinda cheat and look at a map online to find where I am, and realize I am less than halfway to the nearest "town" and it's a tiny one. Welp, start running. Run for another 30 minutes and spot another player in the woods, he doesn't see me. I prone out of sight and message his gamertag in chat, he responds with "unarmed, don't hurt me please." Two things go through my mind. One, maybe he is lying and two, if he is unarmed he most likely has nothing of use to me. I run away at great speed after typing "good luck."

Another 15 minutes and I'm within sight of the town, it's tiny, but there are a few places to check. Plenty of open space so I approach only crouching (not prone). This is a mistake, nearby zombie I didn't see gets aggro'd. I run back into the field and turn around, with the shotgun out, put it down with one thunderous blast.....which then proceeds to alert the other 5 zombies of my location.....@%$#!...why didn't I run further away before shooting...or just use my hatchet. Battle ensues and I am injured, bleeding I use my only bandage. All shotgun shells are spent on my mistake, I also need to eat and drink my only supplies. How late is it? Crap I need to get to bed. Find small house and crawl inside, shut the doors and log out.

Calling it immersive is an understatement. When I lied there on my belly as the car drove through town I actually felt like I was face first in the grass, shitting my pants. My character will continue to gain thirst and hunger while I'm logged out (albeit slower) so when I log back in tonight there will be a fairly desperate situation at hand. I imagine my desperation in finding supplies will lead me to engage the undead, and armed only with a hatchet there can't be to many of them at once. Of course a sniper could always see me sneaking around and just put me out of my misery, or on the flipside maybe a helicopter will come save me again.

TLR version: DayZ is a brutal, unforgiving experience that will suck you in if survival/horror/zombie suits your fancy. If you do plan on playing it, do not expect a stroke of luck like I had on my third try. The coast is a favored spot of player killers and trolls, the large cities on the coast are literal graveyards of noobs. However, if you have no choice to find food and water you may just have to walk into the deathtrap.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2012, 08:15 PM

A+ sales pitch. Sounds pretty awesome. What are the specs of your iMac? Running this via bootcamp, I presume? It'd be sweet if it would run decently in Parallels but that sounds unlikely.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2012, 11:43 AM

I have a C2D 2.0ghz, and a 128 GFX card, 4GB RAM.

Now for the conclusion to the story of life number 3.

I logged back in last night in the same dire straights I left off, only slightly more hungry and thirsty, no ammo and no bandages, and it's nighttime. I scavenge the town a bit but don't come away with anything useful. Check the online map again and the nearest building is a barn about 15 minutes away, figuring this will be my last hurrah I head off with great speed. At this point my vision is pulsing and is mostly black and white, I need food bad, I come upon the barn and it's swimming with zombies. Crawling inside I aggro one, I scampered up to the top levels and he seems to lose interest....phew. This whole time I am chatting with someone who says he is heading my way, he is dying of thirst. I decided to try and meet up so we hash out a rudimentary meeting point, neither of us eager to disclose our exact spot. Back in the barn I spin around and find a water bottle...with water actually in it. I head back to the town I logged in at to drink the water and refill the canteen at the well in town. I tell my new buddy I have water for him and I start off towards the meeting spot. Takes about 20 minutes to get there, he drops a smoke grenade in the middle of a field and we finally meet up. I give him some water and he slips me a sweet pistol with several clips. I'm still low on blood, and my vision coupled with the darkness makes it very hard to make anything out. We hatch a plan to head to the nearest medium city, a dangerous place but sure to have the supplies we need. We head off. At this point I'm completely pumped, my first friendly collaboration and we are both armed and relatively healthy for the time being.

All of a sudden we are teleported (all 40+ players) to the middle of the woods, along with every driveable vehicle on the map. Vehicles blowing up, gunfire everywhere, players dropping dead every second. I run as fast as I can away from this mess, my new buddy is bleeding out with two broken legs. I leave him for dead and run the hell away. I have one bandage, which I use, and now I'm blacking out every couple of minutes. The server has been hacked, and some asshole has just ruined my night, and probably everyone else's.

I was able to make it out alive, but I knew it was all over. I logged in this morning and it was daytime, but my vision was black and white. I committed suicide by zombie and started a new character. I'm 3/4 of the way back to where I was last night. I have a good rifle with lots of ammo, a cammo outfit, compass, plenty of water and food, and enough bandages to last a while. My successes so early in the game are abnormal, and I can't make out whether or not I am really good at this game or just extremely lucky. Either way, I am having a blast playing this game.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2012, 12:58 PM

The path of my first successful journey. Probably about 5 hours worth of traveling and looting/exploring. The city right above the end dot is Stary Sobor, which is rumored to have military goodies scattered about. My current character is safely inside a building in the nearest town to the south of Stary.

If I can manage a to find a ghillie suit I will be elated.

Edit: The top 1/3 of the map isn't shown, just so you know the true scale of this continent.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2012, 02:58 AM

Bigger than Skyrim?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
We all know that I'm a sucker for survival/horror games, and that I also have a soft spot for anything with zombies, so after hearing about DayZ for a little while now (and seeing Yahtzee give it approval) I decided to see what all the fuss is about.

First off my iMac is on the very lowest end of being able to run this game (it's a mod for ArmA 2), and even at very low settings I will only see 20 FPS at most.  Still not unplayable, and the nature of the control of ArmA isn't very fast-paced anyways so I find it acceptable.  The "map" is humongous, and is referred to as a "continent" in ArmA.  This certainly feels like the correct nomenclature, because you'd have to run full bore for 30 minutes to make it from the coastal areas (where you spawn) to anything remotely useful slightly inland.  The difficulty and ruthlessness is what drew me in.  You die, you are dead, you can respawn but you are back at the coast with nothing.  By nothing I mean a backpack, some painkillers, one bandage and some flares.  The first concerns are not weapons, but getting some food and drink, as making it sufficiently inland without these items is impossible.  This means exploring buildings, which are located in small, medium, and very large towns and cities.  These towns are always surrounded by zombies, who when given a whiff of you will chase without giving up for a very long time.  Of course all this is manageable with crouching and prone-ing your way around town carefully.  The X factor is other players, who can decide to kill you and take your stuff, or be helpful and band together (the former being more prevalent).  A good rule of thumb is to stay the hell away from other players, and avoid them like the plague whenever possible.  I watched some videos and the tactic seems to be:  Find town, get necessities, get the hell into the woods as fast as possible.  Armed with rudimentary knowledge I present you with my first experiences.

Spawned at the coast, it's night, and since the game has a true 24-hour day/night cycle I'm in the dark for the long haul.  Spot a medical tented area nearby.  I send a global message out, explain I'm a newb and describe my surroundings.  Few nice folks give me tips, as they know where I am (kinda scary) and I begin to slither my way around the camp.  Get spotted by the undead climbing a ladder, great, I'm done for.  Area has an UZI and two mags, holy crap.  Zombies climb ladders, whole horde start attacking me, burn all ammo but manage to kill them all, losing blood I bandage myself.  Chatter about a guy in a heli, I ask for a ride half-joking.....time goes by and I hear the chopper, gotta get outside the medical area, alert another zombie, get killed just as the heli lands a stonesthrow away from me.  Well, that was intense and unexpected....I'm already hooked.
Is there a term for something between an MMO and a vanilla multiplayer game? I'm not sure if it exists, though I suppose Minecraft would qualify as well.

I'd seen some videos on DayZ before (Yogscast) and I didn't realize (Or consider) the idea of a public server or a persistent world. It really sounds like a rogue-like MMO, though I'm guessing completely devoid of goals and objectives? That would slow me down in the long run. The open PvP is frightening, doubly so since every player is a potential source for resources you need.

So is there any way to secure locations? It'd be amazing if players could take over a town, and secure them from zombies making a safe-haven noobs strive to get to. Speaking of zombies (and, I guess, resoucres) I take it these spawn in perpetuity, without regard for context or actions?

What's the end goal here? Let's say you're set for resources for a week – what do you set out to do?

The chopper thing is amazing. Makes me wonder if the guy just has a home set up near an airbase. I'm also fascinated by the beeping car – were they just effing with the zombies? Trying to give locals a break by drawing their attention?

What's the deal with the hunger/thirst while logged off? I'm not impressed with the idea of getting hosed for not playing the game for a couple days. Is it possible to flat out die from not logging in?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Bigger than Skyrim?
Bigger than Jesus.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 3, 2012, 09:12 AM

This thread has sparked my Interest, watched a few YouTube videos and it looks like something up my alley.

I hate to go crazy and buy windows, and ARMA II just for this but I'm thinking about it.
(Wonder what the cheapest route is..?)

I read they are in processes of a standalone version which I hope would be slightly more accessible.

I think Dakar has asked all the questions I've been thinking in my lurker status, looking forward for answers.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2012, 09:59 AM

Bigger than Skyrim?
It's really hard to say, I'd imagine both game worlds are similar in overall size, but DayZ has a more explorable environment, mountains and such are not used as barriers and nearly every square inch of the map can be explored. Couple that with the more cautious nature of moving around and no fast-travel feature (which really shrinks a map like Skyrim IMHO) and the world feels enormous.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

Is there a term for something between an MMO and a vanilla multiplayer game? I'm not sure if it exists, though I suppose Minecraft would qualify as well. I'd seen some videos on DayZ before (Yogscast) and I didn't realize (Or consider) the idea of a public server or a persistent world. It really sounds like a rogue-like MMO, though I'm guessing completely devoid of goals and objectives? That would slow me down in the long run.
The open PvP is frightening, doubly so since every player is a potential source for resources you need.
So is there any way to secure locations? It'd be amazing if players could take over a town, and secure them from zombies making a safe-haven noobs strive to get to.
Speaking of zombies (and, I guess, resoucres) I take it these spawn in perpetuity, without regard for context or actions?
What's the end goal here? Let's say you're set for resources for a week – what do you set out to do?
The chopper thing is amazing. Makes me wonder if the guy just has a home set up near an airbase. I'm also fascinated by the beeping car – were they just effing with the zombies? Trying to give locals a break by drawing their attention?
What's the deal with the hunger/thirst while logged off? I'm not impressed with the idea of getting hosed for not playing the game for a couple days. Is it possible to flat out die from not logging in?
In essence this game and Minecraft share alot in common. Sandbox worlds with no immediate imposed rules or objectives. The only driving force of the game is survival, whether or not that means you will be a ruthless killer or a reclusive woodsman (like myself) is really speaks to the different ways people can approach a game like this. Slow is an adjective that fits this experience perfectly, and patience...endless patience (I'll get to this note at the end)

The no holds barred PvP is something that holds the biggest threat in this game, now whether or not you agree with that aspect depends on how you view the genre. From what I gather from the post-apocalyptic gerne is the zombies only provide an overall uneasiness, whereas the major X factor is always the other humans you encounter, especially if they are armed. Even setting up an encounter with a friendly holds major problems (same story as above).

I'm not very well versed in what the end-game (or I guess middle-game) content is, but I know you can build and place sandbags and razor-wire to somewhat secure areas. Whether or not that makes the game more enjoyable or easier to survive is beyond me. I've seen videos where groups of people fix 4x4s and set up large-ish camps in the forest, which tickles my fancy for sure.

Zombies spawn at all towns and structures, and are on a similar respawn schedule as the loot is (which spawns in the same areas in buildings). I believe each area has a rough maximun of zombies, so if there are already a bunch at a location I do not believe more will spawn until the area is cleared. The insides of buildings also have a chance to spawn zombies. It is possible to loot a town and camp out in the woods nearby and wait for the loot to come back, though I have no idea how long this takes.

This is the question to end all questions. The end goal is what you make of it, and I play the game differently than some so I can only speak to my overall goals. If I had resources to last a week (real-time) I would most likely try to set up collaboration with other players to fix vehicles or roll out in force to loot some of the more lucrative and dangerous areas. Much like Minecraft, winning the game is simply sitting out in the middle of nowhere with food and avoiding conflict, but that certainly doesn't make for an engaging experience, though I like the idea of hunting in the woods for food and never bothering with the possibility of PvP. As I feel more confident in my abilities in-game I expect my goals will become more bold, but right now I'm more interesting in wandering the map in hard-to-reach areas.

Choppers need to be repaired with about a half dozen items, so getting one up in the air requires a certain amount of...patience. I can't even fathom the process to not only fix it, but actually fly the damn thing. But a crew of 4 with a chopper and knowledge of the map could gain some pretty impressive loot with relative ease. The car thing baffles me too, I figure those guys were bandits trolling the coast and trying to find some newbies to trick....or maybe they spawned near a working car (also a possibility) and just decided to have some fun.

I have really no idea how long you can stay logged out with, say, a freshly replenished set of resources. The video series I was watching had the guy complaining about being near-death after not logging in for over a week, so I imagine several days isn't a big deal, but of course that depends on if you were able to eat and drink before logging out. The whole system needs an overhaul IMO. I can see needing water frequently, but a human can survive for quite some time without food, there is no reason a can of beans will only last 4 hours or so.

-------------------------------

Now I will touch on my above statements of patience and distrust of players with my experience last night.

Considering my wandering nature, I ended up a mere 8 minutes away from where I logged in at the beginning of the night. From logging in I quickly replenished my goods and found a spot near the town to hide in the bushes. Lots of chatter from other players (the server was at 49/50) and one guy (lets call him H) says he is heading N from one of the major towns on the coast. I tell him the town I'm near as he says he is on his way. This whole time as I divulge more and more info I become more and more skittish. I switch hiding spots a couple of times until I am literally in some bushes behind a rock wall about 200 yards behind the church in town. H says he is in town, I respond with "I have eyes on the church, well hidden" since at this point I have been in hiding for well over 20 minutes and getting more and more nervous about my location. No response.... I wait a while and continue to message him. "H, where are you, no visual" Still no response.... At this point I am freaking the hell out, I'm convinced I just led a Bandit right to me and I'm probably out-gunned. Finally H responds "Ran into some Zombies, go to the back of the church" I respond "So you can snipe me?" No response.... Now, if I weren't so close to town I would have already been a mile away running through the woods. I'm still well stocked, so I don't need to be here, damn. Now another guy chimes in, lets call him P. "Sean, I'm with H, where are you?" I say nothing to this new guy, as I am now frantically searching my surroundings for movement. Time passes and ANOTHER guy chats me up, lets call him S. "Sean, I'm near your town, I need blood bad (blood packs need to be administered by another player) I can give you some loot" F*** me, now I'm a goddamn celebrity. I say "come near the church, don't want to leave my spot, I"m well hidden" Time passes and says, get this, "Sean, I've got you in my scope, I see you, I'm across the field."

Holy shit, I thought I was so well hidden and this new guy has got me lined up. I boldly say "If you can see me then come to me" fairly certain I'm about to get popped. I would run away but maybe the two other guys are hunting me too. Then S says "right behind you" and there he was. I whip around with my rifle out and we stare at eachother for a few tense moments. He goes into the proximity voice chat and says "If you kill me I will hunt you down for the rest of my days in this game" I respond "I'm friendly, just spooked." I go in his backback and get the blood and give it to him. He thanks me and asks if I am still going to meet up with those other guys, I say screw that noise. He asks what I need or where I want to go. I say I want a pistol and a safe place out of the way to log off for the night. "Follow me" says S.

We run through the woods for about 5 minutes, head down into a heavily wooded valley and nestled in between some bushes, very hidden, is a 4x4. He says "The UAZ (4x4) has an M16, pistol, ammo, health, food, water, etc etc... Take whatever you need, in fact, take the UAZ if you want too. Thanks for saving my life, you are now on my friendly list." Then he heads back off to go kill some bandit or something am I'm left with a functioning 4x4 and enough supplies to last...a week.

I could have run away at the first signs of being spooked, but my terror was outweighed by my curiosity. I even figured if I stayed hidden that I might have been able to turn the tables on my (possibly) would be attackers. In this patience I cam across another loner, a pro loner, who now has me set up in possibly the best situation I have experienced yet in the game. Could my stationary position for nearly an hour be construed at boring waste of time by some, sure. But that was, yet again, one of the most visceral experiences a video game has ever given me. I felt like the choices I was making were actually important, and I didn't want to do anything hasty I might end up regretting.

I love this game.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
This thread has sparked my Interest, watched a few YouTube videos and it looks like something up my alley.
I hate to go crazy and buy windows, and ARMA II just for this but I'm thinking about it.
(Wonder what the cheapest route is..?)
I read they are in processes of a standalone version which I hope would be slightly more accessible.
I downloaded ArmA 2 free from steam, I bought the needed DLC for $20, and I'm running a completely legitimate version of Windows XP <shifty eyes> Seriously though, XP is older than dirt, does anyone really have any reservations about pirating it at this point?

There are indeed working on a standalone, and right now DayZ is an Alpha and it plays like one. If you can curb your appetite you might want to wait on this one and pay for a more polished product.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2012, 10:50 AM

This is the question to end all questions.  The end goal is what you make of it, and I play the game differently than some so I can only speak to my overall goals.  If I had resources to last a week (real-time) I would most likely try to set up collaboration with other players to fix vehicles or roll out in force to loot some of the more lucrative and dangerous areas.  Much like Minecraft, winning the game is simply sitting out in the middle of nowhere with food and avoiding conflict, but that certainly doesn't make for an engaging experience, though I like the idea of hunting in the woods for food and never bothering with the possibility of PvP.  As I feel more confident in my abilities in-game I expect my goals will become more bold, but right now I'm more interesting in wandering the map in hard-to-reach areas.
I think I'd like this more if you had more ability to modify your surroundings. (Just think of rival clans trying to burn down each others sanctuaries, or raid them for resources. Or running into someones hidden shack with a buttload of stuff).

Considering my wandering nature, I ended up a mere 8 minutes away from where I logged in at the beginning of the night.  From logging in I quickly replenished my goods and found a spot near the town to hide in the bushes.  Lots of chatter from other players (the server was at 49/50) and one guy (lets call him H) says he is heading N from one of the major towns on the coast.  I tell him the town I'm near as he says he is on his way.  This whole time as I divulge more and more info I become more and more skittish.  I switch hiding spots a couple of times until I am literally in some bushes behind a rock wall about 200 yards behind the church in town.  H says he is in town, I respond with "I have eyes on the church, well hidden" since at this point I have been in hiding for well over 20 minutes and getting more and more nervous about my location.  No response....  I wait a while and continue to message him.  "H, where are you, no visual"  Still no response.... At this point I am freaking the hell out, I'm convinced I just led a Bandit right to me and I'm probably out-gunned.  Finally H responds "Ran into some Zombies, go to the back of the church"  I respond "So you can snipe me?"  No response....  Now, if I weren't so close to town I would have already been a mile away running through the woods.  I'm still well stocked, so I don't need to be here, damn.  Now another guy chimes in, lets call him P.  "Sean, I'm with H, where are you?"  I say nothing to this new guy, as I am now frantically searching my surroundings for movement.  Time passes and ANOTHER guy chats me up, lets call him S.  "Sean, I'm near your town, I need blood bad (blood packs need to be administered by another player) I can give you some loot"  F*** me, now I'm a goddamn celebrity.  I say "come near the church, don't want to leave my spot, I"m well hidden"  Time passes and says, get this, "Sean, I've got you in my scope, I see you, I'm across the field."  

Holy shit, I thought I was so well hidden and this new guy has got me lined up.  I boldly say "If you can see me then come to me"  fairly certain I'm about to get popped.  I would run away but maybe the two other guys are hunting me too.  Then S says "right behind you" and there he was.  I whip around with my rifle out and we stare at eachother for a few tense moments.  He goes into the proximity voice chat and says "If you kill me I will hunt you down for the rest of my days in this game" I respond "I'm friendly, just spooked."  I go in his backback and get the blood and give it to him.  He thanks me and asks if I am still going to meet up with those other guys, I say screw that noise.  He asks what I need or where I want to go.  I say I want a pistol and a safe place out of the way to log off for the night.  "Follow me" says S.

We run through the woods for about 5 minutes, head down into a heavily wooded valley and nestled in between some bushes, very hidden, is a 4x4.  He says "The UAZ (4x4) has an M16, pistol, ammo, health, food, water, etc etc... Take whatever you need, in fact, take the UAZ if you want too.  Thanks for saving my life, you are now on my friendly list."  Then he heads back off to go kill some bandit or something am I'm left with a functioning 4x4 and enough supplies to last...a week.

I could have run away at the first signs of being spooked, but my terror was outweighed by my curiosity.  I even figured if I stayed hidden that I might have been able to turn the tables on my (possibly) would be attackers.  In this patience I cam across another loner, a pro loner, who now has me set up in possibly the best situation I have experienced yet in the game.  Could my stationary position for nearly an hour be construed at boring waste of time by some, sure.  But that was, yet again, one of the most visceral experiences a video game has ever given me. I felt like the choices I was making were actually important, and I didn't want to do anything hasty I might end up regretting.

I love this game.
Jesus Christ, I practically got heartburn just reading this. Not for me.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think I'd like this more if you had more ability to modify your surroundings. (Just think of rival clans trying to burn down each others sanctuaries, or raid them for resources. Or running into someones hidden shack with a buttload of stuff).
You can set up a tent, which can only be removed by the player who placed it, but other players can take anything out of it if they find it. I've come across a couple empty ones.

Another stroke of brilliant luck. I come across a downed helicopter, which is a random occurrence and not a player heli, and inside are the following: Silenced Pistol w/2 mags, M107 Sniper with 2 mags, map, GPS, knife, and a humongous new backpack.

I high-tailed in the woods after killing and carving up a boar for meat, and had a nice meal by the campfire. Was able to (finally) plot my course without alt+tabbing to Chrome. I can also place a waypoint with the map + GPS combo.

Of course now I am a massive target if seen from a distance. I've got a huge sniper on my back, a sweet backpack, and if anyone knows about my other goodies even a normaly friendly player might decide to kill me if he gets the chance.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2012, 11:14 AM

Quick recap starting off from the last post.

Hack teleported into the path of a moving vehicle, character dead.

Respawn, complain, etc... Some bandit catches me slinking my way through the airfield. He unexpectedly gives me his AK and runs away, this game is schizophrenic. Climb up radio tower and get shot in the back.

Respawn and make a good bid of things. Get up North with supplies and swag. Someone says he is dying and needs blood. We meet up, I save his life and he throws down a nice rifle for my troubles. As I'm picking it up he caps me in the back of the head.

Respawn and make another good bid. Get up North with supplies and some swag. Another guy says he needs help, broken leg and crawling. Screw it, why not. We meet up, I save him and we set off. We get separated during a zombie fight and message to meet up at next town. While in town a helicopter lands and a completely decked out guy jumps out. He gives us some random supplies and we head N. Hold up in the church and log. Log back in later and make my way, alone, to the northern military base. Looting the barracks I get an M4 and just about everything else I need. While I'm in one of the rooms I hear footsteps coming from outside. I turn around and look out the hallway window from within my room. A ghillie-suit wearing player crouches by slowly hugging the wall with his assault rifle out. Peace out, I log off for the night to avoid conflict. Log in the morning and make my way South to meet up with another guy. We divulge to much info in our meetup and before we can leave the town we get killed by a bandit who snuck up behind us.

The legitimate last kill wasn't very maddening, more just disappointing because it was a lesson learned. After saving the other's guy life who shot me in the head I was much more angry.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2012, 12:20 PM

How big of a coward do you have to be to shoot someone in the back after they heal you.

Edit: We need the occasional screencap to take this to the next level.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2012, 02:21 PM

Ask and ye shall receive, but just remember, these shots would look a LOT nicer on a proper gaming rig.

Me and my buddy william from last night. Blue text is global chat, white text is proximity chat.

The heli (a little-bird!) that greeted us atop a hillside farm. The red tank hold fuel for vehicles.

Guy on the right is the heli pilot.

Nighttime is coming, we would leave the heli at this point and head to safer areas.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2012, 05:14 AM

Quebec sure dies a lot.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Dec 6, 2012, 07:28 AM

I've been pretty stoked about this game for a while now, but I haven't had a chance to try it. I will let you know when I get internet at my shop, cuz then it's game on.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2012, 11:02 AM

Yeah let me know if you start playing, having just one person you can trust makes all the difference.

I died about 5 times yesterday. Here are the two notable deaths.

Really weird run where I found gear everywhere but no food or drink. I nearly died of thirst fighting a horde of zombies just to see if one had a pepsi on him, one did, and I was saved for the moment. I went back to the coast desperate for food and went inside the church in the second largest city. On this particular sever Churches are safe zones, no killing, it happens all the time but those who kill get banned. I run inside and get attacked by someone but he stops short of killing me and says sorry. I am able to stop the bleeding but I have no blood left and a broken leg. If I didn't care about being banned I would've capped that asshole in the head. Anyways someone says they are going to come get me and save my life, so I wait, and wait, and wait. He's right outside when a camping bandit picks him off. Screw it, I crawl outside and the bandit unloads on me with an AR, and unloads, and unloads...wtf? Am I invincible? I am able to get 3 rounds off each time he reloads (that's right, near death I took 3 clips) and I wound him very well before I finally die. He passes away minutes into my next life. Hehe, nice.

Next life someone messages to meet up in the same town, I meet him, I have nothing but what I spawned with. He sees me and carefully laces into me, killing me. Perplexed why someone would waste precious ammo for nothing, but still irked. Seems this guy is a bandit in training and decided to pick the low hanging fruit. An unarmed player is easier to kill than one zombie. I call this kid every derogatory name in the book until one of the more fearsome bandits chimes in. I tell this guy where my killer was, minutes later, he's dead. Hehe, I'm dying but at least it's kinda fun.

Current character started off similar, next to the huge city. F it, I just run full bore into the city. Straight at the medical military area, good loot but a hotspot of killing. Find dead body, and he is kitted out with everything: Map, compass, knife, matches, rifle, pistol, canteen, you name it. I take the shit and haul ass. Still alive today, find even more goodies and I'm in the middle of a forest, cooking meat by a campfire. I'm going pure solo for this run. Not going to meet anybody anywhere for any reason.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2012, 01:36 PM

Pic dump with stories!

Current character is still alive, making him the first one to go past a full 24-hour cycle. Let's take a look at this storied journey.

1: Spawn near Chernogorsk. The largest and therefore most deadly city.

2: Dead body loaded with loot just outside the military area. Looting his corpse could have gotten me killed easily.

3: Castle Zub. I stayed here for a while, moving slightly north to loot and coming back again, has a water pump nearby. I would fall down the castle stairs at night and lose alot of blood, forcing me to move on in search of an animal to kill. Cooked animal meat restores 4x the blood as regular food.

4: After finding, killing, and cooking an animal (and regaining all my health) I continued to head NE to a small town called Polona. Uninteresting in every way except this small town has a supermarket. Supermarkets are a gold mine not only for food and drink, but backpacks, binoculars, weapons, etc... This one did not disappoint. Got everything I needed for an extended outing. When I first came upon Polona the supermarket was illuminated with a green glow light. I chat that I see it in the market and a kid responds it's him. I ask if he is friendly....no response. It's night time so I creep up on this place, only to discover no-one inside. Either he ran out of terror or logged out in terror. Either way me seeing his light totally spooked him. Just as well, if he had stayed there and not responded I would have fired on him. At this point I am kitted with an AK74 with 120 rounds.

5: Determined to live as long as possible, and to continue my loner attitude I headed far north, really far north. In fact, number 5 here is a few minutes S of where I actually went. A lake with a dam. Infinite water source and a hiding spot not likely to be bested. By the time I made it all the way up here I had to eat, leaving me with one one source of food left in my inventory. I set off to the western woods to find an animal.

6: Darkness falling again, hunger rising also. I make my way to Devil's Castle, located on a very bare and tall mountain peak. I find some food and not much else. The whole time lighting is piercing the sky and illuminating my tenuous path for fractions of a second. I would back away from the castle to try and grab an amazing screen shot, but after 10 minutes and a close call with a zombie I decided to move on. Head back to Polona and loot the supermarket again and log out. Log in and loot that bitch a third time. Now I have a half dozen food and drink each, two canteens and just about everything else imaginable. I decide it's time for a bolder move, one that's more likely to net me a better weapon.

7: I head to the eastern coast line and fill my canteens at nearby lakes. Then I head south to Berenzino, the third largest coastal city. I loot some military tents, with zombies quite literally everywhere, and gain f-all. I find a nearby apartment complex and find even more food and drink. I set up my camping spot in the topmost room, with eyes on the stairwell, which is the only entrance. That is where I am right now.

I want a better weapon, one more deadly at range (sniper). I am unwilling to loot the higher risk areas for fear of death so I might actually try and trick a more n00b-ish bandit. My name is known for being a n00b, so if I try and set up a friendly meeting somewhere in Berenzino I'm likely to attract the wrong crowd. If I can lure one of these assholes into my apartment building then it's lights out for them.

Moar pics...

The outflow section of my dam stronghold. Only way up is a steep slope. I may still use this area in the future.

The best picture of Devil's Castle at dusk that I could muster. No more then two seconds after this shot a bolt would strike just behind the castle...sigh...

Before heading to Berenzino I made a fire and had a sit, planning my next move.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2012, 06:15 AM

That map isn't as large as implied if you were able to cover all that distance in a 24 hour cycle.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2012, 07:15 AM

Each box is a square km. The entire trip to number 7 is probably around 30km.

A lot of the trip was made running at full speed and not stopping.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2012, 09:15 AM

Can you run at full speed for an unlimited amount of time? I assume there is some limit on how long you can run at full speed.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2012, 11:40 AM

The more you move the quicker your hunger and thirst meters tick down. I don't have any specific numbers, but running for 20 minutes straight will make you quite thirsty.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2012, 12:10 PM

So last night an old friend messaged me, it was mister H from my suspenseful first meetup story a long while ago. He says he has an extra ghillie suit, and I figure why the hell not, we meet up and go on a small scavenging run before I logged off.

Now I am ultra hard to see, it's time to start looting the military areas now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2012, 12:17 PM

Hamburgers was killed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2012, 08:23 AM

Need to pick up your game, sek. Great story from NeoGAF:

So after everyone left last night Zam and I decided to suicide attack the enemy base in Berezino with the humvee. We roll in like bad mother****ers and Zam starts mowing people down as the gunner. By some fluke I ended up doing some of my best driving ever last night and kept us going for a bit. Then suddenly Zam gets killed and a SHIT LOAD of enemy players start laying rounds into the vehicle. I have to stop and turn around because I hit a dead end that the enemy set up. I haul ass towards a ton of guys who are now standing in the road trying to shoot me in the face. Zig zaging like a ****ing pro, for once in my life, I get past a few of them and run one guy over. Then I see one last guy further down the road with an as50. He shoots the **** out of my vehicle and tires start to pop, I aim as I swerve and slam my humvee right into his chest as he tries to run over to a building, pinning him to the wall he was standing in front of. Humvee is ****ed.

HEAVY gun fire rains down on my crashed vehicle and I start to piss all over the place until I notice an escape route to my right. I get out and dodge bullets until I'm around a corner. All I find is a dead end. I'm trapped. So with my back to a wall I decide it's time to test out this crazy gun I found and go out blazing. One guy comes around the corner and I shoot his ****ing dick clean off with my sexy M8+320(I'm now in love with this gun, Wasteland gun). Two more guys come around the corner and I slice through them like butter. A fourth guy comes up and I clean his ass with my bullets. Then I hear vehicles coming towards me. I'm fairly certain that I'm about to be killed now and I set my gun to use it's grenade launcher. I see a truck come around the corner and also hear what sounds like a heavy armored vehicle rolling up. I start to fire and... I suddenly die... from dehydration. Dehydration???? **** YOU WATER.

That was the end of a really fun night with the GAF crew on Wasteland.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2012, 11:05 AM

That sounds pretty intense, and you're right, I really do need to step my game up a few notches.

The problem with PvP is honestly my framerate, fuggetaboutit if smoke grenades get thrown (7 FPS).

I met up with Hotelz again, and we made a run at the military barracks. Just outside the compound he encounters a bandit and dies. I'm somewhere nearby and hear a ton of gunfire, which naturally scares the crap out of me, and I try and carefully make my way around to find this bandit to no avail. Hotelz had managed to bring him to a hair before death, and broke his leg, so the bandit would end up dead minutes later. You can choose to "hide" a body after or before looting it. This makes the gear unable to be re-claimed by it's owner. This particular bandit did just that.

We met up again and went looting, mostly for Hotelz who now had nothing. Logged in today an I'm officially on day 5. At this point I've gotten a bit bored with my run n hide method, I plan on continuing to loot high risk areas with Hotelz just to see what happens.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2012, 11:15 AM

You can choose to "hide" a body after or before looting it.  This makes the gear unable to be re-claimed by it's owner.  This particular bandit did just that.
Was this game made to do anything other than troll? Holy crap.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2012, 10:35 AM

I'm thinking it's original intention was to allow players to cover their tracks so to speak. If you find a dead animal or a couple zombies on the ground you know someone has been through the area fairly recently.

Of course the logical conclusion is that it's mainly used to throw salt in the wound after you've killed someone. Yahtzee called the game "At best unreasonably cruel," and that seems to fit DayZ very well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2012, 10:37 AM

I'm thinking it's original intention was to allow players to cover their tracks so to speak.  If you find a dead animal or a couple zombies on the ground you know someone has been through the area fairly recently.
I realize, but the game is like superpowers. In the wrong hands all you get is evil.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2012, 12:26 PM

Made it to Day 5.

After the tense situation at the airfield with Hotelz I was still able to snag an M16A2 with 90 rounds....

...and an M1014 with 8 slugs. I made my way to the highest structure, a radio tower atop Green Mountain.

After purposely engaging some zombies to try out my new toys I decide to make a move that until now I had avoided at all costs.

I have probably died 10 times and only 2 of those times have been in circumstances not related to the town of Stary Sobor. Stary has a decent military barracks area, and while not rated as highly as the area where I got my M16, it is still is a huge draw due to having a lot of individual spawning areas and medical supply tents. I have been hacked to death twice outside Stary, shot in back twice, shot in face once and killed by zombies at least three times while heading towards Stary. It is devoid of cover from trees and is smack dab in the center of the map. This place is my Kryptonite.

I found an AKS-74 + Kobra scope that I replaced my M1014 with and then ran away at full speed.

My buddy Mr Pownely has showed an interest in the game and he has 27" iMac with a 512 card. At some point this weekend I'm going to walk him through the process of installing Windows and the process of getting DayZ working.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2012, 11:21 AM

Been watching a series of videos from this guy. I think this particular episode is a good all around look at the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_luL8y3ew&list=UUxbivvwPkudpfWrLQHGH Qyw&index=31

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2012, 04:45 PM

Previous character died, as was to be expected. I was creeping, in the dark, into the military barracks. I stopped the check my map and got laced the hell up. Didn't even fire a shot in self-defense.

I'm back to Day 6 again, even better kitted out than last time. Trying to no avail to find myself a vehicle. Watching videos dawns on me a car that can save a ton of extra loot is very worthwhile. If hidden properly it can re-arm you after a death. After checking where the vehicles spawn for Dayz (see what I did there) I finally see a message of a guy giving rides in an SUV. Why the hell not, I've never ridden in a car. On his way to pick me up he hits something and breaks the wheel. Myself and another player meet up with him an clear the town of zombies. We unload dozens of rounds on the horde, fix the car, and head off.

The view from the back seat. I would play navigator directing my driver where to go via my map.

At the large Northwest Airfield we found a fresh chopper spawn. Needed a ton of work. The smoke in the distance is a downed chopper spawn, it had already been looted.

Driving through a field ended in tears as the new tire was busted. We stumbled across a dirt bike in the woods with a broken wheel as well.

Most fun I've had in a couple days, and made two new allies. I want to roll out in a vehicle convoy so bad you wouldn't believe. When in the SUV we'd get shot at, but it moves so fast and takes a decent shot to disable it so there isn't much to worry about.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2012, 01:45 AM

Is the game so difficult to play as a loner that people are now being nice to each other? It's the impression that I get from your posts.

While it sounds really interesting, I don't think that I have the patience to go through this sort of initiation. Plus there's the whole install Windows thing that puts me off.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2013, 01:24 PM

Is the game so difficult to play as a loner that people are now being nice to each other? It's the impression that I get from your posts.
While it sounds really interesting, I don't think that I have the patience to go through this sort of initiation. Plus there's the whole install Windows thing that puts me off.
Oops, missed this I guess.

It's not very hard, anymore at least, for me just to survive. Which is enough food and water to sit around a campfire doing nothing. My boredom with that approach has made me turn to the only other thing I have yet to master, vehicles. I've also been building alliances with at least 8-10 people who are known non-bandits. Together we share info, give rides, and try and at least meet up once and a while to do something.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2013, 02:34 PM

Well I've been through some interesting encounters lately, and finally getting to the point where my play is petering off. I find myself logging in at certain times and then just deciding not to play since DayZ can be very taxing. Besides the odd few pictures I may post this is going to be my final verdict on DayZ until the standalone is released. But first some photos...

After what was an incredible drought of finding any vehicles, let alone drivable ones, I came across a cop car in the middle of an open field. I snagged it and heading off for my far north dam area. While trying to drive over the dam, I destroyed a front tire (sigh). Two buddies meet me up there and we heal up and re-arm and plan our next move, to a local town with industrial spawns to look for tires and other assorted car fixins. We wait till server restart for daytime and log back in. I had upped my gamma to see in the dark. I hit esc and go to click on options....but click on respawn instead.....killing me instantly (sigh).

New character heads off towards the dam, hoping to grab some of the extra loot out of the police car. On my way up there I spot a little bird in the open field. Night Vision FAL, and other assorted goodies. After moving off I ask the lobby who has a little bird. Bob answers, the guy I was playing with the night before, and says to keep the loot but wait there for him since he is going to grab the chopper and leave me a car. Bob shows up, we exchange pleasantries and I'm off in my new Sedan.

As you can see here the fuel is in the red, meaning it is leaking gas slowly. I log in today and head off in my car to a patch of forest near the Northwest Airfield, to scavenge for parts and fill my gas cans. After finding a plethora of parts I get snipped mercilessly by someone behind me in the forest. Respawn in a semi-large town and get kitted fairly quickly, with a lot of car parts...head off to my car's hiding spot in the woods, only 10km away......

Running through the woods I stumble into this magnificent bastard. Everything in the green and tons of fuel and extra goodies inside. Next stop, finding my car with my new SUV. I come across a heli crash and nab two FALs and a slew of ammo. pack up the suv and head for the hills to find a nice spot and log out.

-------------------------------------

The Verdict:

It's obviously an Alpha, and a rough Alpha at that. To many deaths can be attributed to terrible UI, glitchy physics, glitchy zombies, glitchy glitches...etc. The core elements of DayZ enthrall me. Despite being cruel the PvP is what gives this game that extra push into the realm of insanity. Coming upon another player is more terrifying than a horde of zombies. Despite fractures in immersion everywhere this game can really suck you in. Waiting in the bushes staring out to an open field where a crashed helicopter lies, its weapons spilled on the ground, beckoning you to leave the safety of cover. That's the sort of passive atmosphere that cannot be scripted. Frantically looting a building and hearing the crack of weapons outside, running through the woods for an hour when a Helicopter zooms overhead and the feeling of the first time you are killed just when you thought you had it made. Visceral is the only single adjective that does this game justice, and I look forward to a polished end product.

However.....Right now the game is more PvP Deathmatch with a sprinkling of zombies than anything else. I have abandoned all stealth when it comes to the undead since they can be easily lost by running through buildings, hiding in bushes, and other trickery. Straight up they are nearly impossible to shoot on the run. Their animations for tracking and attacking you are downright retarded. They are able to move at incredible speeds sometimes and morph through walls and barriers. The first time a zombie kills you while submerged in the floorboards of your safehouse might frustrate you, the tenth time is seizure inducing. Apart from buildings and towns zombies are nowhere to be found. The scarceness of zombies and their patterns of spawning make it easy to tell from distance if a player is at that town. See a bunch of zombies shambling around in a town and you know someone is 100m from town center.

I have not kept up with any news on the development of the standalone, and it's supposed changes/fixes.etc.. and I don't care to. I'll definitely take a look at it, but It's going to need a lot of changes to keep interest past the original buzz.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2013, 10:35 PM

The stroke of luck hit a fever pitch tonight, as if by some divine providence I was to be forced into sticking my foot in my mouth and update this thread so soon after saying I was losing interest. Anywho....

Log in next to my broke SUV and notice Bob in the lobby, I tell him about my SUV and he says he'll help me get it up and running. We meet up at the SUV and set off to different places to find a tire. About 5 minutes later Bob messages me that he found something, something better than a tire.

Its a whole car, in great working order too, we meet back up again at the SUV only to discover...

...that this car is absolutely JAMMED with loot, like, to the brim. 7 (!) replacement tires too. Weapons up the wazoo. We switch most of the stuff to the SUV, stash the car and hit the road.

While patrolling the outer edge of the map looking for tents and whatnot we find another working car with plenty of spare parts.

Bob follows me in the SUV, which can go backwards as fast as the car can go forwards off-road, as shown here. I stash this new car somewhere else, starting to get a headache at keeping everything straight.

We go back to patrolling and find a tent way out in the middle of nowhere. It, too, is completely loaded out with gear, including the best sniper in the game and duplicates and triplicates of every weapon and ammo you could want. We decide to drive around some more and come across a friendly. He wants a car too so I direct the driver to my original white car stashed waaaay up north. We kit him out and send him on his way, he was very grateful, and continue to drive about. On foot we woud get shot at by a guy looting a town with his car. Bob made short work of him and we then set to stashing away the 5th car of the day. Driving deep into the woods to log me and Bob talked about only using the SUV when both of us are logged in, and to nab the random cars to get around on our own.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2013, 02:04 PM

This series of photos is entitled "They see me rollin' / They hatin'"

I played Taxi Driver in the V3S flatbed for a while.

After logging in to find both the SUV and V3S had been stolen I set off in a rage and came across a motorbike.

Found this ATV while driving the bike.

After flipping the ATV several times I broke it. Bob came to pick me up and we shot the ATV until it exploded.

Then came across a Toyota and a bus. Both worked, but I opted for the Toyota.

I would crash the Toyota and blow it up, with me inside. Luckily Bob was around to save my life, and I landed a sweet little tractor.

So DayZ has turned into Crazy Taxi for me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2013, 02:18 PM

Janie's got a gun?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 11, 2013, 12:13 PM

This looks awesome. And since I built a real PC with a real graphics card, real games are a possibility. I just started a project I've been putting off for 7 months so I want to finish that before I get sucked into another time waster but this looks awesome.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2013, 03:03 PM

Your best bet will be to wait until the standalone comes out anyways. The Alpha is rife with problems and even higher end machines have trouble running it smoothly.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 11, 2013, 04:31 PM

And how'd you find ArmA 2 for free? Steam sale?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 11, 2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
And how'd you find ArmA 2 for free? Steam sale?

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2013, 06:28 PM

Arma 2 has a free version available from steam, if I remember correctly there was a roundabout way to find the link through another website.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2013, 03:59 AM

Hey sek, I thought you might enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F9xzgv5RxE

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2013, 07:31 AM

I can't get to the article at work, but Videogamer.com has a story about DayZ and a console port.

Forum Links
Forum Rules