Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Comparison: SRS-T100 vs. TravelSound i300

Comparison: SRS-T100 vs. TravelSound i300
amcclenahan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2003, 01:33 PM

I'd like to surprise my boyfriend with some external speakers for his iBook, and I'm having a hard time choosing.

I've narrowed my search down to the Sony SRS-T100, as available from the online Apple store, and the Creative TravelSound i300. Both seem to meet the basic requirements of being a) better than the internal speakers, b) small & ultra-portable, and c) reasonably priced.

He would primarily use them for playing games rather than listening to music, as he has an iPod and plenty of pairs of headphones. One advantage I see in the TravelSound speakers is that they could be hooked up to the iPod or my Archos Jukebox. The biggest advantage I see to the SRS-T100 is that it's powered through the USB port.

I'd love to get some reviews from people who have used one or both of these products. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry, PowerBook folks. I posted to the wrong forum.

wynn
Aug 8, 2003, 02:11 PM

You're awesome that you would buy your boyfriend such things. I love it when my gf buys me stuff like this. A girl that can support a guys tech addiction gets a

I don't have experience with the Creative Travelsound speakers, but here are some reviews:

http://www.shopsuk4u.co.uk/gadgets/c...avelsound.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...670868-6734000

http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=416

I just bought the Sony SRS-T100 and think they're good. The reason why I bought external speakers is because I use my laptop for presentations. Most of the time, I'll have a system to hook into, but when I don't, I'll pull out the Sony's. Another reason is that I'm always in hotels and the built-in speakers just aren't loud enough to listen to music from across the room, or to watch a dvd (at least to me). I'm using the speakers on a 15 tibook.

The sound quality sounds a little muted, but in itunes, I created a custom eq setting to get crispy highs. Not fantastic, but definitely better. I'm still looking for a way to get a system-wide eq setting, but so far no luck.

I also created a bracket made out of aluminum that I use to hang the speakers on top of the screen. It's kind of lame and cool at the same time, but the sound is much better coming from the top of the screen. Not to mention it's easier to place the speakers there if the surface you're using them on is uneven.

I'm slammed at work right now so pardon the grammar and typos... get the Sony's! They look better

Tomster
Senior User
Aug 8, 2003, 02:57 PM

In terms of portable speakers, I loved my Sonic Technologies Si-5.

www.si-5.com

They are portable, flat panel speakers and give an incredible sound for their size. About $30 at buy.com.

amcclenahan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2003, 07:58 PM

Thanks, Fellas. The Creative reviews were helpful, and I liked the look of the Si-5s, but I think the Sony ones are the winners.

Wynn: I'm a tech geek too, so I understand the love of gadgets.

wynn
Aug 8, 2003, 08:11 PM

Happy weekend, everyone!

Forum Links
Forum Rules