Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Reporting posts

Reporting posts
mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2006, 11:45 PM

I reported this thread with the comment "Move to iMac forum" because it was posted in the PowerMac forum. I felt it qualified for reporting as "problematic/rude" since it was posted in the wrong forum.
Lateralus has stated that it was wrong for me to draw the admins attention to a misplaced post by reporting it and and my message in the post report was "barking commands" at him.

I wanted to get input from other admins, moderators, and members of the site.
Is it appropriate to report misplaced posts?
Is "Move to iMac forum" a rude comment?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 26, 2006, 12:47 AM

While the abuse button is decidedly intended for abuse (which misplaced threads certainly do not constitute), I don't have a problem with it being used for threads that have clearly been overlooked for a significant amount of time. But since those reports clog our personal email inboxes, they really shouldn't be used for everyday stuff -- save the Report Abuse button for emergencies, like spam or NSFW stuff.

Besides, we are quite diligent about finding misplaced threads. They're seldom around for very long in the wrong place. (I'd think you would have noticed this.)

I think that saying "Move to iMac" is out of line. Though Lateralus's reply was, IMHO, rudely worded, he's basically right: ask or suggest things, but don't just command. We're not your servants, and the decision is ultimately ours, after all.

In this particular case, I don't agree that the Power Mac forum is the wrong place -- the thread really isn't specific to any model, it's a discussion of overall CPU strategy, really. Since the Power Mac is the only model whose future processor isn't clear, the thread is certainly relevant where it is.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules