Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Switching from PC to Mac

Switching from PC to Mac
pyrrho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 08:46 AM

I'm just about to make the leap I never thought I'd ever make: switch from PC to Mac! But I have a question. I'll be buying either a Mini Mac or an MacBook (I have used IBM Thinkpads for years), and want to use the 17" LG Flatron monitor I use as an external for my T41 Thinkpad, which is not Wide Screen. So what kind of picture will I end up with? Or will I have to buy a Wide Screen monitor?

Thanks

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2006, 09:06 AM

First off, welcome to the club. I took the leap in late 2004 and will never go back.

I recommend the MacBook. It gives you all the power you need while also giving you portability when needed.

As for the screen, the picture you will end up with will be native to the display being used. In other words, if your monitor is 1024x768, you will get a beautiful picture in that resolution because you have a wide variety of resolutions to pick from. I've used my PowerBook on both widescreen and regular-screen monitors, and both have looked great.

If you REALLY want to geek out, you can plug in your monitor and keep your laptop open. This allows you to use both displays either as a mirror or as an extension of each other, dragging from one screen to the other. It is hyper-neat.

One thing to be wary of, however: Mac displays appear "softer" or "fuzzier" than do their PC counterparts. I'm not technically informed enough to explain why, but it takes a bit to get used to. I don't even notice anymore, and I use both PC (work) and Mac.

Best of luck, and welcome to the addiction!

pyrrho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 02:01 PM

Thanks for your response. Yes, it will be a MacBook this week! But after 4 black Thinkpads over the past 7 years, I'm going for a white one - and its cheaper.

P
Nov 12, 2006, 06:07 PM

Display softer? Do you mean the text rendering? Then yes, the text rendering in most apps is different from Windows standard, and it does take some getting used to, but it's more comfortable in the long run.

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2006, 11:46 PM

Yes, I meant text rendering. Drove me nuts until I got used to it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2006, 05:56 PM

It's called anti-aliasing. You can enable it in Windows if you like it, but you can't disable it in OSX as far as I know.

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2006, 06:01 PM

you can turn off anti-aliasing for text smaller than X, and make X really big. (system preferences, appearance)

But really, just get used to it, it's so much easier to read

badnewsblair
Senior User
Nov 15, 2006, 12:24 PM

Welcome!

Welcome to less headaches. Getting things done. Actually having fun on your computer instead of fighting it!

The addition of any monitor will be as simple as plugging it in. You won't have to fiddle with it. That is the honest truth of Macs. Just plug it in and go. Make sure to take pictures. We always like seeing that sort of stuff.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

pyrrho  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 01:12 PM

I've just ordered a MacBook - decided to keep portable - but two weeks to wait for delivery! Can't wait to get it. I'll be interested to see how text is displayed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules