Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > So, I had an iMac 20" but....now what?

So, I had an iMac 20" but....now what?
Semstudent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 09:48 AM

For those who responded to my pre-Christmas questions about iMacs, here's an update and another question.

I bought a 20" Intel C2D as a refurb from Apple on December 14th. I bought a PowerBook 3 years ago as a refurb and had a good experience, so I jumped on the "deal" when I saw it. My son opened the gift on Christmas morning and we went to set it up only to find that the stand wasn't tight and the display sagged all the way down. I wedged a book under it so my son could "play around" with it on Christmas knowing I'd call Apple the next day. In the meantime, after all the software updates, the iSight stopped working. Next, "OS X unexpectedly quit" and required a restart. So I thought, maybe an issue with the install of the OS, I'll reinstall - whoops! They included TWO "disc one" CDs so I couldn't do it. Now I have to ask, does anyone actually check these machines before they repack them and ship them out? I speak here primarily of the stand portion of the problem (wouldn't you think you'd notice if the stand didn't work?).

I called Apple and after being handed off to no fewer than 6 people (yes, I counted and wrote down names) I reached a guy in AppleCare who had to read the policy on how to accept a returned computer that was "DOA" (that's their label). No kidding, it took me an hour and a half to get to this guy. So, the iMac is on its way back via FedEx ground and I'll eventually get my refund.

Now, I'm going to buy a NEW one and with the education discount I can get one at Apple for $1399 + tax. I can buy one through Amazon for $1424 (no tax) with the rebate. The net difference will be about $50, so my big question is, Amazon or Apple? Any adavantage in buying it through Apple directly? Thanks for reading and for your constructive input.

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo, 15.4", 2.16gHz
eMac 1 gHz

jeepdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 11:53 AM

I would purchase from Apple.

I had a 6 month old Powerbook, without Apple Care that was dying a quick and painful death. The folks at the Apple Store were not able to fix it on a couple attempts and they simply replaced it with a MacBook Pro. Not bad.

Despite a little occasional frustration (like you'll encounter almost anywhere there's tech support) they do stand behind their stuff.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2006, 04:02 PM

get it from amazon...if what happened to the above poster happened to a machine that was purchased from amazon, apple still has to replace it. amazon also has a better return policy and no tax, thats a no brainer to me. i bought my imac cd from amazon and it was shipped to my front door in less than 2 days.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 09:03 PM

iREZ, I went to a brick and mortar store, as I felt uncomfortable having a computer delivered by UPS (ever seen, AND HEARD, those quick gun-its with all the parcels falling about in the back?).

What's your experience about ordering a mac online - what's the general experience.

My next computer will be a MacPro.

Ordering Online, you save on tax - but how about the risk of having trouble due to transport "shock"?

newportnews
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
iREZ, I went to a brick and mortar store, as I felt uncomfortable having a computer delivered by UPS (ever seen, AND HEARD, those quick gun-its with all the parcels falling about in the back?).

What's your experience about ordering a mac online - what's the general experience.

My next computer will be a MacPro.

Ordering Online, you save on tax - but how about the risk of having trouble due to transport "shock"?

But all computers need to be shipped at some point. They aren't manufactured at CompUSA. Its probably equally safe in that regard either online or at a store.
iMac Core 2 Duo 20" 2.16 Ghz //1.5 GB RAM // 250 GB HD
Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz // 1 GB RAM // 80 GB HD // Backlit Keyboard
iPod Video 30 GB / White

Semstudent  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 10:23 AM

After finding that the price after rebate at Amazon was now exactly the same as the educatoin price through Apple, I opted to order from Amazon last night. I agree with newportnews, every computer has to make it all the way from China or elsewhere, so I trust that it'll make it okay. No sales tax was the clincher since both Apple and Amazon offer free shipping. Besides, they both start with "A" after all, har har.
Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo, 15.4", 2.16gHz
eMac 1 gHz

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2006, 10:24 PM

I know, every computer has to be shipped.

But if the driver ships 200 computers, and he knows "those are computers" and I have to take care...

But a UPS driver transports anything from diapers to books to computers...

I wonder if they even know what they are handling.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2007, 07:28 PM

I'll just make it a point to say it doesn't f&cking matter who you buy it from.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

badnewsblair
Senior User
Jan 3, 2007, 03:49 PM

True.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 03:25 AM

I bought mine from a brick and mortar store not far from where I live.

They offered a discount, which brought the price so close to the tax free offers of the internet retailers, that is did not matter.

As it was purchased by them, I get particular good service.

When my SuperDrive died, I brought the iMac in, the ordered the drive, and I could take my computer with me and continue working.

Then they called me when the drive was there, I drove the whole three blocks, and in 30 minutes the drive was installed.

I guess this did "copulating" matter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules