Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport signal dropping out consistently

Airport signal dropping out consistently
badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 12, 2007, 02:57 PM

I used to be an avid poster on these forums. I apology for my absence. However, I just started having an issue with my wireless network.

I used to use a Netgear Wireless G router until I started having issues with using the Internet. The signal would drop low then completely drop and my machine would switch to a neighbor's network until it would also eventually drop out (kids don't borrow your neighbor's wireless without their consent).

I went to the Apple Store and picked up an Airport Express and got it up and running with flying colors. I was absolutely thrilled that it solved the problem, until...

I started having the same issues. The signal drops out and it takes a combination of power cycling the router, the cable modem and restarting the computer to get things working properly again.

I am on Tiger and am completely up to date. I use an Intel 20 inch iMac (first generation) with 1 GB of RAM.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 03:15 PM

Two wireless points with the same problem sounds like a common theme: like fluorescent light ballasts, cordless phone or microwave. Do you still have the old Netgear device? You can test it without connecting to the internet. Just plug it in some place new and walk around with your iMac (!)
Seriously, you want to try to figure out if something in your house is eating your signal. Seems unlikely that two totally different wireless points would exhibit the same problem.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2007, 07:08 PM

On the AE, try selecting a different channel. Don't let it select it automatically.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2007, 07:49 PM

Try using iStumbler 0.98 - MacUpdate to see what other networks are potentially interfering with your own (you will be able to see what channel they are on) and whether it is a drop in your signal or not.

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2007, 09:30 AM

I'm anxious to see how this plays out. I have the same problem with a Linksys router. A Belkin we brought in to try performed similarly so we ruled out the router. Seems to be RF interference.

Right now I'm hard-wired and of course that performs to ISP specs but manually recycling for the other machine in the house has long been sucking. Also, the wireless signal is NOT up to ISP spec as the hardwire is.

Question: does istumbler only work with Airport or will it work on other routers? Is this an RF overlap diagnostic tool?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2007, 09:34 AM

Try a different channel, try moving the access point/router (change where it is in the room, and which way it points), and try to track any pattern of signal problems. Most of the time, the channel change will correct for a problem with another wireless network somewhere nearby. Moving the router helps improve its coverage pattern and can provide enough of a signal boost in some places to eliminate the problem. If these don't help, record WHEN the problem starts and stops and then examine the record after a day or two-this can tell you what sorts of things to look for based on when the interference occurs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2007, 10:18 AM

grayware, iStumbler will work with all wireless routers from an AirPort equipped computer. At this point I don't think it works with USB wireless, although it also detects Bluetooth devices. It is not a interference diagnostic tool, if I understand you correctly.

There is a setting on many wireless routers called "Robustness Interference" or something similar, that will help overcome some RF problems at the expense of signal strength over distance. Also, most wireless routers have a definite "sweet spot" for signal strength. I have seen Extreme Basestations mounted on a wall and the signal varies wildly as you walk around with a laptop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules