Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > what's wrong with my MBP?

what's wrong with my MBP?
yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2015, 08:11 PM

Having problems with my Macbook Pro 15-inch, Late 2011.

Every couple of days the screen goes either black, grey or scrambled (glitchy, striped graphics, sometimes offset), and freezes/is unresponsive. Sometimes auto-reboots, sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

Resetting the PRAM tends to fix it for a few days, as did repairing the disk permissions. Updating the OS (Mavericks) fixed it for a couple of weeks, but its back.

Hardware Test (extended) finds nothing wrong.

Am taking it into the Genius Bar this friday (first appt. I could get), but I keen to figure out what it is in the meantime and if it I can fix it myself. Apple Care has expired. I'm comfortable opening up my mac and replacing hardware if its possible.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
ππ>_<ππ

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 26, 2015, 08:51 PM

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2015, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
Thanks Mike. That sounds about right.

Has anyone had success getting Apple to fix it for free outside of Applecare? Really DON'T want to have to pay for a new logic board...
ππ>_<ππ

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 27, 2015, 01:53 AM

You can try it. For sure, if apple does any sort of REA, you'll have documentation that the problem existed.

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2015, 02:17 AM

Cool cheers. I'm not sure what REA stands for can guess what you mean and will see what Apple says.

In the meantime I found some fixes in which you disable the PCIe GPU and force the mac to use the built-in GPU. Which must hobble the system, but seems better than crashing all the time.
ππ>_<ππ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2015, 07:24 PM

My 2008 MBP has suffered a similar failure with its GeForce 9600M. A pity really because the 9400 is noticeably slower, even more so under Yosemite. IT really does beat having to reboot up to 7 times a day though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 27, 2015, 09:11 PM

REA = Repair Extension Authorization. Periodically issued to solve engineering problems with machines, but I think the last one may have been five-ish years ago.

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2015, 05:24 AM

Good news.

Took it in to Apple and they replaced the logic board for free under Applecare, though it had expired 52 days ago. Not sure if thats standard practice when a problem occurs soonish after expiry, or if its because these GPU issues are a known problem (I did mention that was what I thought it was).

And they got my computer back to me in 2 working days. Pretty happy - should get some good more years out of my machine
ππ>_<ππ

mindwaves
Feb 8, 2015, 09:34 AM

Good news. AppleCare is usually worth it.

Ham Sandwich
Feb 19, 2015, 07:15 PM

Well about freakin time Apple finally (repeat "finally" 30 times before reading)...

...acknowledges that this is their problem and has initiated a repair program.

Yo yugyug, with a repair program if your Macbook is one of the ones that are affected then you don't need AppleCare (which is why what happened to you, no Applecare no problem this time, it's not standard practice, but this has been a problem for years). I had a lemon Pro Macbook in 2011 with crazy issues; the bottom of the screen would bleed, the computer would instantly (blink of an eye) shut off while mid typing, etc. etc.

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2015, 07:40 PM

Update.

So after a few weeks of perfect use, my MBP with replaced logic board suddenly crashed spectacularly (glitchy blue screen) and would hardly reboot before quickly crashing again. I hadn't seen a screen so colorful and blue since playing Nuke attacks with my friends on Windows 95 late last century.

Took it in to Apple who confirmed what And.reg posted about the replacement program for MBP 2011 logic boards. He mentioned that while I had mine replaced under apple care, if I had paid for it I would be due a refund.

I guess this might indicate that the replacement logic boards are 'old stock' and can also be faulty, though I didn't ask about that.

They also ran a new diagnostic test they didn't have last time, that confirmed the GPU problem.

Am hoping my second replacement logic board will be a good one!
ππ>_<ππ

P
Feb 24, 2015, 12:35 PM

No, you should hope that it is bad again. Apple has been known to give people a brand new computer if they have to come back for a third major repair on the same thing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Feb 24, 2015, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
No, you should hope that it is bad again. Apple has been known to give people a brand new computer if they have to come back for a third major repair on the same thing.
I can only confirm the generosity of Apple service. Just make sure to politely explain the situation and that you've been without a functioning computer for so long. Once, my iBook got lost in transit to Apple's repair facility. It was replaced by a newer top-of-the-line model under their equal-or-better policy.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Feb 24, 2015 at 05:37 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules