Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > OS X and older PowerBooks

OS X and older PowerBooks
fitfreak30
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2002, 10:38 PM

I just purchased OS X Jaguar only to learn it may not be compatible with my older PowerBook. I do not have the numbers the installation process states as being incompatible, but installation has been impossible so far. What is the best way to back up my hard drive in order to insure I have it just in case the new OS doesn't work?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2002, 03:26 AM

If installation fails, your old installation is completely recoverable if you don't delete the contents of your hard drive.

What PowerBook do you have? Is it the one based on the 3400c's case, or is it a Wallstreet? Is it curvy?

fitfreak30  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2002, 11:23 AM

It is a G3 purchased in 1998 by old employer which I consequently bought from them for $300 when the business was collapsing in 2001. I would say it IS curvy (based in the click pad design and the top which has sort of a ( ) shape).

The instructions that came with the OS X Jaguar say if it has a six color Apple on the cover it is not compatible. Well, on the outside of the cover is the white Apple but on the inside center just below the screen is the six color Apple. Which one do they mean?

Thanks

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 21, 2002, 01:38 PM

Does your PowerBook have a big white Apple logo on the outside of the screen? If so, it supports Jaguar.

tooki

fitfreak30  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2002, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Does your PowerBook have a big white Apple logo on the outside of the screen? If so, it supports Jaguar.

tooki
Yeah tooki, I have the logo. I am now operating from OS X Jag but I need a driver for my printer now that is not available. I have the CSW 4000 (or HP 4000). I can't find a driver anywhere. Any suggestions other than buying a new printer?

F

Forum Links
Forum Rules