Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > The good old days....

The good old days....
appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2002, 04:31 PM

Games today are great but for some reason I don't enjoy them as much as I did when I was younger. You guys remember back in the day when LucasArts and Maxis ruled the scene? Games like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle, Sim City 2000, and Sim Tower. And of course they all came on a big stack of 3.5" floppys.
iBook 800/640MB/30GB

sleepyrenderer
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2002, 05:51 PM

Sounds like you're a big adventure game fan... it's really too bad that genre is so dead lately. There has been a few good one's in the last few years though:
- Grim Fandango (LucasArts doing what it does best)
- Gabriel Knight 3 (wasn't as good as the first two but was still fun)
- The Longest Journey (truly excellent)
- Atlantis 3 (was pretty good)
- Syberia (a little slow but lots of fun)
- Sanitarium (so-so graphics but a fun game -- somewhat old)

Ummm, that's all I can think of that was good and reasonably recent (off the top of my head). Here's a good resource for adventure game reviews:
Just Adventure

Giovani Akira
Oct 24, 2002, 07:16 AM

Well fellas...

I remember to see my friends playing Monkey Island 1 and
Might and Magic ]I[ on a PC 386 Mhz, and dreaming about to have a computer one day to play it also...
Funny days...

Do you guys played the GOLDEN NES 8BITS ERA ?
"You may say I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one."

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 01:19 PM

All the games you listed are new! What about the real classics? ShufflePuck Cafe, DARK CASTLE (1 & 2)!! Mines Of Moria, Armor Alley (That game rocked).
Galactic Empire was a little later, but still fun. Stuntman! Who didn't love dropping a guy from a helicopter into a horse pulled cart full of hay 10 billion times?

appledude83  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2002, 04:52 PM

Haha whoa I don't go back quite that far, I'm only 19. Also I can't say I was a real rpg fan back on the NES. However the SNES had some of my favorite games of all time. Final Fantasy 3, Chrono Trigger, those were some masterpieces.

And yeah I have played Gabriel Knight 3 and Grim Fandango. They were both pretty good. I'll have to check out the Longest Journey sometime.
iBook 800/640MB/30GB

Guy Incognito
Banned
Oct 24, 2002, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by CIA:
All the games you listed are new! What about the real classics? ShufflePuck Cafe, DARK CASTLE (1 & 2)!! Mines Of Moria, Armor Alley (That game rocked).
Galactic Empire was a little later, but still fun. Stuntman! Who didn't love dropping a guy from a helicopter into a horse pulled cart full of hay 10 billion times?
It was called Stuntcopter...and yes, who would have known dropping a man through clouds (which would slow the fall) and have it all timed to hit the hay wagon would be so much fun.

Dark Castle and BDC were classics. Shufflepuck was awesome. Armor Alley was and still is the best game of it's genre ever. The old Sierra games and Lucas Arts games were top notch.

Shareware such as Dungeon of Doom and Cap'n Magneto were fun too.

If you ask me...I could stop buying new games and just keep playing the old games and I'd be happier (and richer). God bless emulation.

I don't know how game companies manage to recycle old classics, make them worse, and still be able to sell them. It boggles my mind.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2002, 07:40 PM

Now you're talkin'!

Stuntcopter was a silly game though
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2002, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
Shareware such as Dungeon of Doom and ...
Hell yeah!! I LOVED that game. Too bad it used to crash our old mac Plus all the time.

Some great classics here
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 11:11 PM

My parent's had a 512K when I was little, so I was playing on that all the time.
Here is the big question, does anyone know where I can find Armor Alley? On further thought, I would love to play that again. More important, how could I play that again? I don't think it even runs on system 6.0.8!! Any help would be welcomed! Let's show these kids what real gaming is!

JacKTHELioN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2002, 05:26 AM

Well, I'm new here. But everyone's gotta start posting somewhere so here goes.

Most of those games u guys mentioned i don't really remember. I used to play games back on the Apple ]['s such as Space Quarks, Lemonade Stand (boring ), and Oregon Trail. I played others but for the life of me I can't remember them. Oh yeah, Lode Runner was one...a true classic. After that we never really had a computer until a few years later. Then I got into Maelstrom by Ambrosia, and Wolfenstein 3D. There was other games too. Eventually I got a Playstation and played quite a few games. Got my own mac and now can't stop playing Starcraft. You can't deny it...that game is one of the greatest games of all time.
Evil, come to tell you that she's evil, most definitely
Evil...ornry, scandalous, and evil, most definitely
The tension...is growing hotter...I'd like to hold her...head underwater.

--Sublime, Doin' Time

Guy Incognito
Banned
Oct 25, 2002, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by JacKTHELioN:
You can't deny it...that game is one of the greatest games of all time.
Maybe the greatest RTS of all time...but definitely not one of the greatest game of all time.

Hash
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 11:41 AM

I love (still) Labyrinth of Time, truly wonderful game, its atmosphere, its feeling of 3d mazes and endless puzzles, and beautiful music..

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 01:00 PM

It's wasn't on the Mac first, but HOW could I forget the original Oregon Trail on the Apple ][?

Armour Alley Update, I've been digging on the web, & have a few leads. If I recall you could play 2 player over appletalk as well. Anyone good enough to crack it for TCP/IP play? I don't really know anything about programming so this probably isn't possible.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Oct 25, 2002, 02:26 PM

It's wasn't on the Mac first, but HOW could I forget the original Oregon Trail on the Apple ][?

Armour Alley Update, I've been digging on the web, & have a few leads. If I recall you could play 2 player over appletalk as well. Anyone good enough to crack it for TCP/IP play? I don't really know anything about programming so this probably isn't possible.
Well Armor Alley along with a bunch of the games mentionned here are on the underdogs site. But I won't post the link...it's been posted recently in a previous post in this forum.

appledude83  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2002, 03:58 PM

Oregon Trail, now you're talking.
iBook 800/640MB/30GB

Rickster
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 04:43 PM

Bolo!
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by appledude83:
Oregon Trail, now you're talking.
I loved that game, but I could never shoot the deer as they ran by.

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 02:20 PM

I played Bolo in high school. Every day after school (when we were allowed to play games on the school's Appletalk LAN) 20 odd people would meet in the computer labs and play against each other.

You still can play Bolo today over the internet though. We should set up a big raging online Bolo bash in a week or so...

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 02:26 PM

Hey Guy Incognito, I searched Macnn forums for underdog & Armor Alley and couldn't come up with the link. So why don't you be the nice guy and post it again for us? Help a nostalgic brother out!

Also, I remembered the air attack game I played a lot when I was smaller:
Airborne!
( Last edited by CIA; Oct 26, 2002 at 02:35 PM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2002, 08:28 PM

CIA, all you have to do is Google for "mac abandonware" and you'll find it. I don't remember the exact URL myself, but it's no secret.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2002, 03:01 AM

You've all forgotten Ancient Art of War.

One game that I guess is not as old (came on one of those new fangled cd's) but is still my fav is Heroes of Might and Magic 2.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2002, 04:22 AM

Thanks for the tips, Guy Incognito did in fact hook me up.

Yes, Armor Alley runs in OSX. (10.2.1!!) Of course this is in classic, but hey.... It's nearly 15 years old and it still ROCKS! Now to hack it for TC/IP internet play.......

beb
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2002, 01:41 PM

I liked Crystal Quest, Stellar 7 and Gridz. I await Halo.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Oct 27, 2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by beb:
I liked Crystal Quest, Stellar 7 and Gridz. I await Halo.
Crystal Quest is definitely a classic.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2002, 05:47 AM

How could you guys forget the Metroid series? Those was classic!

I'm playing Super Metroid on emulation right now. It still kick serious ass! I already pre-order Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion. Can't wait to get them soon. I bet Fusion will bring lot of memorial

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2002, 10:06 AM

I just can't believe nobody's mentioned the Exile series! Exile III still stands as one of the best RPGs ever created in my mind, and Blades of Exile gave me literally hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

And yes, Shufflepuck Cafe rocked And.. what was it called.. Scepters! I was SO disappointed when that would no longer run in System 7...
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

derien
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2002, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the tips, Guy Incognito did in fact hook me up.

Yes, Armor Alley runs in OSX. (10.2.1!!) Of course this is in classic, but hey.... It's nearly 15 years old and it still ROCKS! Now to hack it for TC/IP internet play.......
Doesn't it run in only two or 16 colors? Is there a way around this? Not that it's a real pressing issue for me, as I have a good old Quadra 610...

As for the other classics, I'd have to second Shufflepuck Cafe (or I guess third) and add Pirates! (the original, not Gold). And both work in 9.2, albeit without sound.

appledude83  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2002, 02:45 PM

All this talk about games even older than I know makes me want to try them out. Is there any place you can buy them in a bundle or download them or something?

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

kzmk
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2002, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by JacKTHELioN:
Oh yeah, Lode Runner was one...
yeah.

as well as per.oxyd.
this really had a unique concept.
damn, i'd love to have that on os x.

and for some *true* classics... hehehe... try douglas adams' "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" on the commandline using a zip-interpreter.

infocom - those were the days...

Guy Incognito
Banned
Oct 28, 2002, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by kzmk:

yeah.

as well as per.oxyd.
this really had a unique concept.
damn, i'd love to have that on os x.

and for some *true* classics... hehehe... try douglas adams' "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" on the commandline using a zip-interpreter.

infocom - those were the days...
Yeah infocom's Deja Vu and Uninvited and Shadowgate were cool.

But holy crap...per.oxyd...I forgot about that game. THAT GAME ROCKED. You're right, it really was a unique concept and nobody's ever really continued the concept either which is a shame. Moving the mouse to determine the velocity of the ball was the coolest thing ever, imo.

kodiakbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2002, 06:53 PM

What about the Bard's Tale series by Electonic Arts. They also released a Japanese styled game like the early Ultima series.

Now, those were a ton of fun.

Scott

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2002, 11:22 PM

For whoever asked, Armor Alley runs in 256 colors, which, thankfully, OSX can do as well. Hence OSX (in classic) Armor Alley......

Life is good.......

Forum Links
Forum Rules