Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti SuperDrive Ship Date

Ti SuperDrive Ship Date (Page 6)
jmp998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 02:48 AM

Seems like Apple is catching up-hope you guys don't have to wait to much longer (note ship time for new orders of 7-10 days). It's also 7-10 days with RAM doubled to 1GB.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Items you have selected Image Part No. Image Est Ship Image Qty Image Unit Price Image Ext. Price
Image PowerBook 15.2TFT/1GHz-L3/512SD(2 SO-DIMMS)/60G/SuperDrive/64VRAM/56K/AIRPT Image Image M8859LL/A Image 7-10 days Image Remove Image $2,999.00 Image $2,999.00
Image 1GHz PowerPC G4 Image
Image 60GB Ultra ATA drive Image
Image SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) Image
Image Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English Image
Image 512MB SDRAM - 2 DIMMs Image
Image AirPort Card

gardles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 11:57 PM

My husband went and picked up my PB at FedEx on Friday....am trying to find time after kids are asleep to mess with it. So far, I love it!

ulmer
Dec 1, 2002, 01:05 PM

My order went in 11/7 around 11:30 EST and it's currently over the pacific! Hope to have it Mon or Tues based on past order shipment times!! I can't wait, 1Ghz Superdrive...

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2002, 10:18 PM

Left FedEx Sort FacilityANCHORAGE AK 12/01/2002 16:29
Left FedEx RampC.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 12/01/2002 16:07
Package statusC.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 11/30/2002 21:55
Arrived at FedEx RampTA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/30/2002 20:44
Left FedEx Origin LocationTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/30/2002 13:09

I'm anxiously awaiting, wondering how long my TiSD will take to get to me now! Ordered on 11/9, now in Anchorage, AK - how long will it take to get to the midwest via "standard shipping?" (seeing as how it took "22 min." to get from Taiwan to Anchorage - LOL over timezones!)

iBorg

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by iBorg:

I'm anxiously awaiting, wondering how long my TiSD will take to get to me now! Ordered on 11/9, now in Anchorage, AK - how long will it take to get to the midwest via "standard shipping?" (seeing as how it took "22 min." to get from Taiwan to Anchorage - LOL over timezones!)

iBorg
I've heard there's only one flight a day so I hope it's FDX 94 from Taipei that went thru Alaska not too long ago and just landed in San Francisco!

jamx100es
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2002, 10:51 PM

My 1ghz powerbook sd is also sitting in Alaska right now. I live in La Jolla, so I think I'll get it by tomorrow (REALLY wishful thinking) or tuesday (more reasonable thinking)...

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2002, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Nebrie:

I've heard there's only one flight a day so I hope it's FDX 94 from Taipei that went thru Alaska not too long ago and just landed in San Francisco!
Hope you're right, dude! That would mean it'd get to me about Tuesday, which wouldn't be too bad. Wish I could track this closer than the FedEx site allows via tracking number, which updates infrequently, adding several legs at a time when it does....

iBorg

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2002, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by jamx100es:
My 1ghz powerbook sd is also sitting in Alaska right now. I live in La Jolla, so I think I'll get it by tomorrow (REALLY wishful thinking) or tuesday (more reasonable thinking)...
Hmmmmm ....... I remember stories about Apple PowerBooks "sitting in Alaska" for days, waiting for clearance by customs. Hope this isn't deja vu......

iBorg

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2002, 11:14 PM

Hmmmmm ....... I remember stories about Apple PowerBooks "sitting in Alaska" for days, waiting for clearance by customs. Hope this isn't deja vu......

iBorg
No need to worry about that. It's already left Alaska. Next stop is Indianapolis.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2002, 11:16 PM

Hope you're right, dude! That would mean it'd get to me about Tuesday, which wouldn't be too bad. Wish I could track this closer than the FedEx site allows via tracking number, which updates infrequently, adding several legs at a time when it does....

iBorg
It's been updating quite quickly for me. I've seen the updates within an hour of the timestamps on the tracking page.
Vandelay Industries

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2002, 11:17 PM

Not to be obsessive/compulsive about this, but I just called the toll-free FedEx number with my tracking number - the recording just replies with saying "it left on Saturday at 1:09pm" (Taiwan time, I guess) and "is scheduled to arrive by Wednesday at 12pm."

Guess I can wait another 2 1/2 days .........

iBorg

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2002, 11:19 PM

Not to be obsessive/compulsive about this, but I just called the toll-free FedEx number with my tracking number - the recording just replies with saying "it left on Saturday at 1:09pm" (Taiwan time, I guess) and "is scheduled to arrive by Wednesday at 12pm."

iBorg
In the other threads, most everyone reported that they recieved theirs a day ahead of FedEx's estimate. We should likely see our TiBooks on Tuesday.
Vandelay Industries

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2002, 11:53 PM

Well, you guys are lucky. They've stopped making the first-run PowerBook G4's with SuperDrives. The second run (with a few minor bugs worked out like the "green line during DVD watching" problem and the excessive fan noise issue) will go into production on the 6th of December and start shipping on the 10th.

I'm out of luck. Mine won't be here for another two weeks.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2002, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Well, you guys are lucky. They've stopped making the first-run PowerBook G4's with SuperDrives. The second run (with a few minor bugs worked out like the "green line during DVD watching" problem and the excessive fan noise issue) will go into production on the 6th of December and start shipping on the 10th.
Sean, I hope you're kidding! Those don't sound like "minor bugs," and I'll be quite pi**ed if I just spent $3k and it arrives with those!

You're kidding, right?

iBorg

sunkist
Banned
Dec 2, 2002, 01:17 AM

Does this green line appear on ALL powerbooks or is it a random bug?

-Chris

jamx100es
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 01:48 AM

My powerbook shipped out friday and I called up FedEx to see what the est. arrival was. They said thursday....this makes no sence. Is it true that they have delivered before their estimated arrival date?

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 01:50 AM

iBorg
Mine said it left Friday, and is scheduled to arrive on Thursday

jamx100es
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 01:56 AM

Since when did 2-day shipping become 6-day shipping???

sunkist
Banned
Dec 2, 2002, 01:59 AM

I called apple based soley on that question. They said the expedited shipping means itll be there 2 days after it clears customs. Anyone else heard that crock? No where on the website does it say that, how the hell was I supposed to know?

-Chris

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2002, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by sunkist:
I called apple based soley on that question. They said the expedited shipping means itll be there 2 days after it clears customs. Anyone else heard that crock? No where on the website does it say that, how the hell was I supposed to know?

-Chris
That's standard procedure for international shipments, whether it's FedEx, UPS, etc. Next-day or 2-day international shipping is expensive and rarely offered.
Vandelay Industries

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2002, 02:12 AM

Sean, I hope you're kidding! Those don't sound like "minor bugs," and I'll be quite pi**ed if I just spent $3k and it arrives with those!

You're kidding, right?

iBorg
I'm not kidding. There's a post on the forum regarding this bug. Granted, its title is really confusing, but you can check it out at http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=134349. Your machine might not have it; it's one of those things that comes up on only a low percentage of new machines. At least, I hope...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2002, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by sunkist:
Does this green line appear on ALL powerbooks or is it a random bug?

-Chris
I think many of us would appreciate it if you changed the title on your post to something that has something to do with the "green line" issue. This will help more people find the post they need.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2002, 02:16 AM

There was no official announcement that these bugs were found. Apple, like any other manufacturer, would prefer the existence of bugs in their products to be kept under wraps. They're not going to do anything about it unless you ask them to. Even then, they might try to deny the problem exists.

I just get this kind of insider information. I don't just get rumors; I get insider information of all kinds.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 04:11 AM

I probably should have mentioned that I got ground shipping instead of 2 day shipping since everyone here who got ground shipping was reporting how fast their powerbooks were getting to them.

Bierkonig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 01:15 PM

Scan Activity Date/Time Scan Exceptions
------------- ---------------- ---------------
Left FedEx Sort Facility ANCHORAGE AK 12/01/2002 16:29
Left FedEx Ramp C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 12/01/2002 16:07
Package status C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 11/30/2002 21:55
Arrived at FedEx Ramp TA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/30/2002 20:44
Left FedEx Origin Location TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/30/2002 13:09
Pickup status TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/30/2002 13:02 Package received after FedEx cutoff time

how long do people think until I get my powerbook in NYC?

cklinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 01:27 PM

Looks like my PB is on the shipment as yours. Too bad it has to go to Indianapolis, then loop back to San Francisco...

Originally posted by Bierkonig:
Pickup status TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/30/2002 13:02 Package received after FedEx cutoff time

ulmer
Dec 2, 2002, 01:29 PM

Mine is also on the same flight. I'm hoping for tomorrow based on past shipping I've received from Apple...

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 01:46 PM

We're all in the same crate of Powerbooks. Just call 1800gofedex and there will be an automated voice to tell you when to expect your Powerbook.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2002, 01:51 PM

Do the Canadian ones also ship thru the US?

If so, maybe that means my order thru the store is also in that batch (hopefully).

By the way, it does seem that FedEx Taiwan does pickups on Saturday.

cklinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 02:08 PM

Whoohoo! Delivery by 10:30 on Wednesday. Now does anyone know if I can request that FedEx return later in the day, after I get off school/work?

-chung

We're all in the same crate of Powerbooks. Just call 1800gofedex and there will be an automated voice to tell you when to expect your Powerbook.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2002, 02:24 PM

Same shipment as mine, too - as someone else mentioned, calling the FedEx 800 number gets you an automated recording of your tracking number's expected arrival date - mine said "by 12pm Wednesday" in the midwest.

Hope none of us have to put up with having spent $3k on Ti's with the fan glitch and DVD screen bugs .....

iBorg

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2002, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:

I'm out of luck. Mine won't be here for another two weeks.
LOL!!! I'd say that given the information about these 2 prominent glitches, you're the "lucky" one!

At this point, with my TiSD waiting in Alaska, it's a pure crap-shoot: If mine arrives without these defects, I'm a happy camper. If it comes defective, then I'd gladly have waited another 2 weeks for my $3k to have bought me a quality product that I won't have to resend back to Apple.

iBorg

jjs357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 02:41 PM

Count me as another worried and waiting Ti Superbook buyer. Mine is on the same shipment as the one reported by others recently (stuck in Anchorage at the moment). Eventual delivery to Philadelphia suburbs.

Let's agree that the first person to receive a 'book from this batch will start a new thread commenting on fan and DVD playback behavior. Then all of us new owners can chime in when ours arrive. We can see if we are among the lucky or the damned

Jim

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 02:02 AM

On the move again, in Berkeley Missouri now

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2002, 02:39 AM

On the move again, in Berkeley Missouri now
LOL! Sure doesn't pay to spend alot of time reloading the FedEx tracker - updates are occasional, and outdated! It's just in the past hour that the "MO" leg appeared, otherwise it stopped yesterday at 4pm in Alaska!

Left FedEx RampBERKELEY MO 12/02/2002 23:21
Pickup statusTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/30/2002 13:02 Package received after FedEx cutoff time

Maybe it'll make it to MN tomorrow after all - o/w Wednesday at the latest! (keeping fingers crossed ...)

iBorg

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2002, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by jjs357:
Count me as another worried and waiting Ti Superbook buyer. Mine is on the same shipment as the one reported by others recently (stuck in Anchorage at the moment). Eventual delivery to Philadelphia suburbs.

Let's agree that the first person to receive a 'book from this batch will start a new thread commenting on fan and DVD playback behavior. Then all of us new owners can chime in when ours arrive. We can see if we are among the lucky or the damned

Jim
That would be interesting, if only to compare "sibling" Ti's, which were apparently produced in the same batch!

They may be here tomorrow - o/w certainly by Wednesday! Good luck, gentlemen! (and ladies!) Let's hear your reports!

iBorg

jamx100es
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 02:56 AM

Mine just arrived in Berkeley...I keep calling up FedEx to see what the estimated arrival date is and they always respond with Thursday...ahh, I don't want to believe I have to wait three more days! I hope I get it tomorrow or wednesday!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 02:59 AM

Mine just arrived in Berkeley...I keep calling up FedEx to see what the estimated arrival date is and they always respond with Thursday...ahh, I don't want to believe I have to wait three more days! I hope I get it tomorrow or wednesday!
Actually, it just left Berkeley, MO.

It could quite easily be delivered tomorrow morning.
Vandelay Industries

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 03:37 AM

Umm...Mr. Vandelay...

could I ask what is your profession?

The potato or the computer kind?

(sorry I couldn't resist)

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Umm...Mr. Vandelay...

could I ask what is your profession?

The potato or the computer kind?

(sorry I couldn't resist)
I'm an importer/exporter.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 05:37 AM

Well, they finally arrived at Indianapolis.

Arrived at Sort FacilityINDIANAPOLIS IN 12/03/2002 01:54

I wonder why they went through MO first. None of the other shipments did.
Vandelay Industries

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2002, 06:00 AM

Pickup statusTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/30/2002 13:02 Package received after FedEx cutoff time

Hmmmmmmmm ... bypassed Minnesota - went from Missouri to Indianapolis. Looks like it won't get to me Tuesday after all.

iBorg

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 06:40 AM

You may still get it today. This is from this thread.

Originally posted by jambajooz:

DeliveredSUNNYVALE CA 11/14/2002 09:34
On FedEx vehicle for deliverySUNNYVALE CA 11/14/2002 07:45
Arrived at FedEx Destination LocationSUNNYVALE CA 11/14/2002 07:38
Arrived at Sort FacilityOAKLAND CA 11/14/2002 05:08
Left FedEx Sort FacilityINDIANAPOLIS IN 11/14/2002 04:24
Arrived at Sort FacilityINDIANAPOLIS IN 11/14/2002 00:59
Left FedEx RampC.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 11/13/2002 19:56
Arrived at FedEx RampTA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/13/2002 16:09
Left FedEx Sort FacilityANCHORAGE AK 11/13/2002 14:23
Left FedEx Origin LocationTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/13/2002 11:34
Picked up by FedExTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/13/2002 11:29
He got it the same day it arrived in Indianapolis and he's in CA. There's still a glimmer of hope, albeit a shrinking one.
Vandelay Industries

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 07:17 AM

Well, mine at least left Indianapolis not too long ago.

Left FedEx Sort FacilityINDIANAPOLIS IN 12/03/2002 05:28
Package statusC.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 11/30/2002 21:54
Arrived at FedEx RampTA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/30/2002 21:16
Left FedEx Origin LocationTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/29/2002 19:20
Pickup statusTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/29/2002 19:14 Future pickup/delivery requested

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 07:22 AM

Now's when they all go their separate ways. I wish mine would leave IN.
Vandelay Industries

sunkist
Banned
Dec 3, 2002, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
Now's when they all go their separate ways. I wish mine would leave IN.
On FedEx vehicle for deliveryMARIETTA GA 12/03/2002 08:01
Arrived at FedEx Destination LocationMARIETTA GA 12/03/2002 06:52
Pickup statusTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/29/2002 19:14 Future pickup/delivery requested

Wow. hauled ass. I'll have it by noon. The anticipation of owning it has been overwhelmed by the worry that it has green lines, turbine engine fans, or dead pixels.

-Chris

PurdueRPh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 10:16 AM

Come on home Baby!

Arrived at FedEx RampSOUTH BEND IN 12/03/2002 07:52
On FedEx vehicle for deliverySOUTH BEND IN 12/03/2002 07:31
Arrived at FedEx Destination LocationSOUTH BEND IN 12/03/2002 07:22
Pickup statusTAOYUAN CITY TW 11/29/2002 19:14
Hopefully it will get here soon!

Joe
Hoosier by birth, Purdue Graduate and Mac lover by the Grace of God.

ulmer
Dec 3, 2002, 10:20 AM

Woohoo! Mine's in town and should be delivered this morning. FedEx phone system said Thursday by noon...

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2002, 10:28 AM

On FedEx vehicle for deliveryST. LOUIS PARK MN 12/03/2002 07:39

Come to me!!! And I'm home today!! **cough, cough**

iBorg

jjs357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 10:50 AM

Mine from this same batch was also delivered this morning (Philly area). Unfortunately I had already left for work -- missed the FedEx truck by 15 minutes!

So this evening should be a pleasurable one -- will need to check fan noise and DVD display to see if I am among the blessed or the cursed.

Will report my findings to the forum -- will look for (or start) a thread on new deliveries and performance characteristics.

Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules