Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook 12" DOA

PowerBook 12" DOA
Back2Mac2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2003, 03:33 PM

I'm sorry to report that my new Powerbook 12" G4 arrived Tuesday from Taiwan (amazing how these things can go from Asian factory to rural Colordo in just two days) and was "DOA."

Essentially, this beautiful hardware would not start the hard drive or screen. The most the telephone Apple tech and I accomplished was a *very* slight engagement sound when the power button was pressed. We tried all the various permutations, rebooted the power manager settings, etc. No dice. So, its being picked up today for service.

My question is: Does Apple turn on and "burn in" its new Powerbooks when they come off the line, or just assume that everything will work properly once all the components are assembled? I hope its the former. Anyone else have similar power issues with their new Powerbook?

I was an enthusiastic BMUG member and MacPlus user from 1986 to 1993; then had to switch to Windows for work. I believed that this new model, Jaguar, MS Office X and Keynote had the right combination to get me to switch back. I'm anxious to get my "maxed out" Powerbook up and running for my presentations around the country. I even bought 500 shares of AAPL when I ordered mine!

We'll see,

(Hopefully) Back2Mac2
Back2Mac
"Love Grows"

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2003, 03:49 PM

Ouch, that's painful. I feel for you mate....

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2003, 04:06 PM

Whenever I read about something like this I always wonder how it can happen-- I am positive that they check each computer before it leaves the factor to make sure it functions, etc, so it stands to reason that something happened between the time this test was conducted and the time the consumer opened the computer. This could be some kind of accident, or just a faulty component spontaneously dying, I guess. Anywaw it really sucks, and I fell for you. After what looks like it will be a 5 week+ wait, I think I would go on some kind of rampage if my book didn't work!

edit: "I fell for you" --> "I feel for you". Sorry dude, we're just friends...
( Last edited by icruise; Feb 7, 2003 at 06:14 PM. )

jaydon34
Senior User
Feb 7, 2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Whenever I readabout something like this Ialways wonderhow it canhappen-- I am positive that they check each computer before it leaves the factor to make sure it functions, etc, so it stands to reason that something happened between the time this test was conducted and the time the consumer opened the computer. This could be some kind of accident, or just a faulty component spontaneously dying, I guess. Anywaw it really sucks, and I fell for you. After what looks like it will be a 5 week+ wait, I think I would go on some kind of rampage if my book didn't work!

Man not to worry it happens to pc users all the time. My cuz recieved an hp for christmas open the box and it was dead. Took it back just to recieve another dead one. Now thats customer support lol. You dont know how bad I want to vent. I switched back to pc bout 6 months ago for some dj software thats only pc compatible. Because thats what I mainly use my notebook for. And ive been madd eversince. Soon as I get some money its powerbook 12 for me with the superdrive. And the pc well it goes to my girlfriend let her play on windows. Osx to me blows everthing out the door.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Back2Mac2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2003, 09:26 PM

Whenever I read about something like this I always wonder how it can happen-- I am positive that they check each computer before it leaves the factor to make sure it functions, etc, so it stands to reason that something happened between the time this test was conducted and the time the consumer opened the computer. This could be some kind of accident, or just a faulty component spontaneously dying, I guess. Anywaw it really sucks, and I fell for you. After what looks like it will be a 5 week+ wait, I think I would go on some kind of rampage if my book didn't work!

Thanks! I know this stuff happens; I just want Apple to really get some momentum with the new machines and reclaim users like me. (It makes for good long term value for our investment in their machines!)
Back2Mac
"Love Grows"

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2003, 10:37 PM

Ouch... that really hurts... I hope that the new one will work perfectly and able to make it up to you.

I guess the the distance from Taiwan to the US is a long way. Anything can happen during the trip - assuming that Apple really checks its machines before shipping them.

Anyway... once again, I wish you better luck next time.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2003, 10:54 PM

On the contrary, apple doesn't even make the G4s.

They're made by ecs, quanta, and a few other companies, and sometimes ALONGSIDE DELLS.

I'm every bit serious when I say that, and NO they don't check these things.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2003, 11:13 PM

Of course Apple doesn't make the computers themselves, but surely they at least turn them on before shipping them out.

oogje
Feb 9, 2003, 06:42 AM

The way it gets from Asia to Colorodo so quickly is by rocket and sometimes the liftoff can jar components loose. I've seen all sorts of machines come out of the box with boards out of their sockets.

The safest way to trasnport things is to messenger it by mime from the factory but it takes forever.

ber

ivi
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2003, 07:22 AM

Doubt its a faulty component. These accidents happen when someone opens a box with new computer.
They have to be running them before shipment since they need to load OS and because the preloaded OS checks for serial number it has to be loaded from computer its on.

This last one I'm not sure, is the preloaded OS actually the one, which comes on DVD/CD ?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2003, 07:35 AM

I hear that laptops in general always have that risk of being DOA - short of padding the laptop in several inches of soft foam, the jolts and bumps of transport can be enough to damage or loosen components.

Apple might have a reputation for solid products, but they're not immune to the laws of physics.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2003, 09:20 AM

As mentioned earlier, Quanta (the maker of Apple PowerBooks) also manufacture many Dell, HP and other PC notebooks. Sometimes the massive trip from Taiwan to the US is the culprit for DOAs. Other times it's the factory's negligence that turns out a few duds. Quanta has a good reputation as one of the better PC Manufacturers. From what I hear, Compal is the least preferred in terms of quality control as they usually work for the least amount of money just to get the account. From what I've seen by some of their products, it seems to be true but that could depend on their client and their spec as well (the PC Maker).

Back2Mac2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 02:57 AM

Very interesting. While I knew Apple subbed out there notebook construction, I did not know it was to multiple manufacturers.

Is there any way to know from which company a given PowerBook orginated?

Also, we had a couple of posts on this thread indicating Apple or their sub may not have each machine turned on and checked following final assembly. Given the number of issues on the forums, I fear that lack of QC may be the culprit. Mine (and every other BTO item) comes quite well packaged. I'm surprised FedEx may have found a way to knock it around a bit too much.

Mine was picked up by Airborne for service on Friday 02.07.03. We'll see how it comes back. Hope its not with a warped screen or bad latch!

trying to get) Back2Mac2
Back2Mac
"Love Grows"

Forum Links
Forum Rules